Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

*!*!*!* 2012 "S" ASE Set Final Day Sales Predictions *!*!*!*

KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've seen predictions all over the map. From no big last minute sales to big enough to crash the Mints servers Seems everybody has their own idea.

Will there be a big rush to order if it looks like this set will be a low mintage rarity? Have all the TV Shopping Channels, flippers and normal dealers already bought all the set they need? Or will they bolster their stocks in anticipation of demand for a rare issue? Will the general public become aware of this set through the just arriving Mints summer catalog and not want to miss out on this opportunity? Will the July 4th holiday effect last minute sales?

What's the magic number below which there is a low mintage rarity and above just another unremarkable mintage? 180,000? 200,000? 250,000?

Who knows? Do you think you have it figured out? Maybe yes, maybe no. Make your own prediction right here.

Sales end Thursday July 5th at 5 PM EDT. The Mints odometer will be incremented with those final days sales on Friday July 6th approximately 3PM EDT. This is the number you are guessing.

This thread will accept guesses for one week. Starting today and running through Wednesday June 27th at 7PM EDT

One guess per forum member

Closest to the final number, over or under, will be the winner

In case of a tie, the earliest posted number would be the winner

Please guess a specific number

The winner will receive a limited mintage, uncirculated 2005 Maui Trade Dollar, CuNi, 39.2mm Crown size.

Good Luck and Good Guessing !
.................................................................................................................................

My guess is 20,000

Comments

• Options
    kingkoin56kingkoin56 Posts: 343 ✭✭
  • Options
  • Options
    38,596.7 image
    Currently working with nurmaler. Older transactions....circa 2011 BST transactions Gecko109, Segoja, lpinion, Agblox, oldgumballmachineswanted,pragmaticgoat, CharlieC, onlyroosies, timrutnat, ShinyThingsInPM under login lightcycler
  • Options
    That's a clever guess silverstreak

• Options
    jrt103jrt103 Posts: 419 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Barney1955Barney1955 Posts: 74 ✭✭
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    CoinMaster1229CoinMaster1229 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭
  • Options
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    My guess is 22,500.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    **Cross Thread Posted**

The uptick in daily sales for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday shows there is still interest in
    this set. It could be a result of the mailed out Mint's summer catalog reaching customers
    starting Wednesday. A whole new group of collectors has been made aware of the sets, and they
    are ordering. The weekend should see a similar increase in sales. We shall see on Monday.

If more collectors, from serious to casual to impulse buyers, are buying these sets now, how
    will this effect the possible last minute buys to get in on a low mintage issue? Does the low
    mintage possibility even figure in for a lot of these recent buyers? Or did they get the
    catalog, like the set and placed an order? Or did they remember hearing something about the
    25th Anniversary set controversy and wanted in right away while ordering was still open? Will
    these people who are ordering since the catalog arrived in their mail make a second buy in the
    closing moments of the ordering period? Probably not for 99% of them.

You had a theory before the catalogs got delivered. Did you even think about a Mint catalog
    coming in the mail to a hugh group of consumers? I didn't. Does this effect your theory?
    How will this effect the low mintage possibility? Or does it matter? At what ordering level
    would you consider it a low mintage set? Under 200,000? Under 250,000? Under 300,000?

Has your prediction of the final days sales changed? Think about it. Ponder some more. Then
    post a guess in the Final Day Sales Prediction thread. Guesses eligibility will remain open
    till Wednesday evening.

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

My guess is 8,475.I dont know if the tv coin shops will be a factor.These guys dont want to buy them july 5th and then wait for 3 weeks before they get delivered.They are more of a have it in stock and sell type of business.I'm sure that they might order some but not more than 1000,which they will sell for $899 a set pf 70 from anacs.
  • Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a first ship date prediction?

These things were struck two months ago! Why the slow shipping performance?
    Who is in charge of JIT at the mint? They are JIT, if anything, they are WOOT (Way Out Of Time).
  • Options
    I think the TV shopping networks jumped in on the first day. They will be watching the counter and may buy more if they think they can sell more sets over what they already ordered.

The Mint may ship earlier than is presently shown. I think they minted a bunch before these even went on sale. But how many? Maybe they haven't made any yet because they didnt know what the order numbers will be. The presses will spin up after sales close to fill all the orders plus some for quality issue replacements. It's got to be more efficient to do a large single run rather than two smaller ones.

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the TV shopping networks jumped in on the first day. They will be watching the counter and may buy more if they think they can sell more sets over what they already ordered.

The Mint may ship earlier than is presently shown. I think they minted a bunch before these even went on sale. But how many? Maybe they haven't made any yet because they didnt know what the order numbers will be. The presses will spin up after sales close to fill all the orders plus some for quality issue replacements. It's got to be more efficient to do a large single run rather than two smaller ones. >>

I called the Mint and the lady said they are not shipping before the end of sales. Of course, you never know.

What about cancellations? I predict people who ordered a lot of coins will get cold feet and cancel on the last day.

• Options
    Will the cancellations be reflected in the counter? Have any cancellations happened already?

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    dmarksdmarks Posts: 450 ✭✭
    Check out the expected delivery date on new orders. Looks like all coins ordered now will not be first strike eligible. Does this change anything?
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Novice Speculators with no clue will push final day sales to 250,000 sets. I expect a lot of 20+ set orders.

$$$ signs in the eyes have been known to make people do unwise things. Especially with US Mint Products.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Jammed order lines will only serve to fuel the final frenzy.
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Check out the expected delivery date on new orders. Looks like all coins ordered now will not be first strike eligible. Does this change anything? >>

YES, maybe 30-50% less resale $$$ on the set.
  • Options
    Can we assume the Mint made 150K sets and will have to mint more if their sales exceed that number
  • Options
    Only two days left to make your prediction. Entries closes Wednesday.

Has the buying spate from Mint catalogs reaching the public had any effect on the rush to buy before it's too late?

• Options
    Just added:

The winner will receive a limited mintage, uncirculated 2005 Maui Trade Dollar, CuNi, 39.2mm Crown size.

Good Luck and Good Guessing !

• Options
    A day and a half left to make your prediction.

• Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MasterGunsMasterGuns Posts: 408 ✭✭
    I'll take a swag at 198,135
    Semper Fi,
    Ray

MGySgt USMC(ret)
    1979-2003
    Aviation Radar Technician
    Communications & Electronics Chief
  • Options
  • Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    213444 is my guess. Thanks.
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    21,580 is my guess... still not sure if I'm buying any though....
  • Options
    Only a few hours left to make your predictions. Make one while you can. You'll be sorry if you knew and didn't post.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    gyromacgyromac Posts: 213 ✭✭

its the day after a major US holiday/holiday week in the US....you have to wait 2 months+ now....we all know the final total is ranging 195-225ish so it isn't super rare....all the major players have their orders in, so it is going to be retail only....

bottom line...if you wanted one...you prob already ordered....

jmho

gyros

edited to give specific number
  • Options
  • Options
    This is so fun
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    17,765....Thanks
  • Options
    JaLPJaLP Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    3 hours to go and entries close. If you predicted a FINAL TOTAL rather than a FINAL DAY number, you must edit your post to reflect the right prediction by the close of entries. I sent PM's to those who did. No edits excepted after the close.

• Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    My WAG: 15,475

Thanks,
    Ray

PS. If I am the lucky winner you can give the prize to a young Numismatist as this coin does not fit in my collection and I am trying drastically to shrink my collection as I will be moving soon.
  • Options
    ENTRIES ARE NOW CLOSED

24 predictions, averaging 19,247 (not including the mistaken guesses of the final total sales. Of course, they are still in the running with their guesses, just not figured into the average.)

We will see next Friday who is the Master Predictor.

• Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    So ahhhhh.... is this something I should be buying? Is this the next great mint rarity? (PMs welcomed).
  • Options
    LmmanLmman Posts: 156 ✭✭
    Donavan
  • Options
    The counter number took a big jump today: +8,752 The largest one day increase, including that first weekend after sales opened Monday posting of +8,024. I attribute this to mail orders being received and processed from the mints summer catalog sales.

So this begs the question: Will the mint accept mail orders post marked at or before the deadline of 5 PM Thursday July 5th? Or, do mail orders need to be in mint hands by the 5 PM close of sales to be accepted, regardless of post mark?

Either way, it won't effect this thread. The winner will be the closest to the final day sales as determined by the Thursday July 6th counter posting minus the July 5th counter number.

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Why on earth would you MAIL in an order when you can order it online and get an instant confirmation???

Just asking the clueless out there who still mail in orders to the Mint>>>>>>>

One of those things that get a deserved "Duh"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file