Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1921-S Walking Liberty half (w/grading poll)

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just bought this for my circ Walker half Dansco. What do you think?

I think it is a nice original looking coin.

The only thing that slightly worries me is that the corner and bottom edge of the flag look "tooled" to me, somehow. But for all I know, this is perfectly normal. I guess I've never scrutinized my Walkers very closely. See what I'm talking about? The way it looks "carved"?

The coin is in a TPG holder so surely they would have noticed and mentioned the tooling if there was any, right?

I'm probably just being paranoid. I'll post the grade later.

Larger obverse picture

Larger reverse picture

Index of similar grading poll threads like this

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    For the record, I voted the "neutral" poll option since it's been TPG graded.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    vg8 likewise---Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    The "tooling" you are seeing is on mine, too. I think it is part of the design.
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    F12
  • Options
    VG10
  • Options

<< <i>The "tooling" you are seeing is on mine, too. I think it is part of the design. >>

Thanks. It just looked strange to me on this coin, like somebody had "accented" that area. Looking around, I see others like that, so I guess I was just being paranoid.

• Options
    F15
  • Options
    I love watching the statistical "bell curve" form on these polls. Some start out pretty scattered, but they almost always resolve themselves into the classic bell curve. Looks like we're headed that way with this one.

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted early... and for F12. I love the "look", originality, and excellent detail for a lower-circ '21 Walker. I also like the bold date. You could have done much, much worse... and it's going to look beautiful in your Dansco.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VG10 - a nice original coin.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough call - obv bust detail looks F12, but the weakness on the rev, including some of the rim areas, says VG10, which is what I voted.
    I have seen a number of 21S's that have relative strong bust line detail but weaker detail throughout the rest of the coin,
    making them difficult to grade. W/o knowing the TPG holder it's in, I think Accugrade may give it a VF, and PCGS a VG10, and everyone else would be in between.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    I like it as VG-10
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭
    F12
  • Options
    Strong bell curve now, with F12 pulling ahead by a noticeable margin now.

I'll reveal the grade after dinner, I guess. (Which in my case should be sometime in the next hour from now.)

(Edit to add: Beef Lo Mein and Egg Drop Soup, if you were wondering. Ladymarcovan is bringin' Chinese carryout home. Yum.) image

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

It's a text book 12

IMHO

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a text book 12

IMHO >>

Defintely a text book 12! Right on!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    F 15
  • Options
    Beef Lo Mein consumed now (they forgot my Egg Drop Soup, but I did get an Egg Roll).

Ladymarcovan wants me to go to the store because she forgot to buy eggs and she's baking tonight.

So off I go, possibly for the rest of the evening. (Think I'll curl up with a good old fashioned printed book when I get home- I'm tired of starin' at the monitor.)

Anyway, here is the slab.

Thanks for playin'. image

• Options
    These threads always seem to die very abruptly after I post the grade, so that I wonder if anybody even saw it.

Of course the majority were right in this poll.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted VG10 before I saw your grade so now I will change it to a PCGS VG10...the reverse doesn't cut it for a 12 to me.
  • Options

<< <i>I voted VG10 before I saw your grade so now I will change it to a PCGS VG10...the reverse doesn't cut it for a 12 to me. >>

Fair enough- Walkerguy21D spoke along those lines, too, and I would defer to the judgment of those who have much more experience with the series, as he obviously does. So ANACS F12, but not enough meat on the reverse for the F12 grade at a top-tier TPG, perhaps.

I can live with that. I still think the coin will fit in with my raw F-VF Dansco OK, though I don't know if I'll crack it out or not.

• Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a pretty solid Fine to me. Can I buy this quality for VG money? The
    sheet shows a price jump from about $50 in VG to about $175 in Fine, so I think
    there might be a few dollars to be made.

Nice looking coin, Lord M.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a text book 12

IMHO >>

yup. Nice one.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like a pretty solid Fine to me. Can I buy this quality for VG money? >>

Maybe, if you shop smart and get lucky. I'm not as hip to the distinguishing line between VG and Fine on this series yet- I'm still learning. That's another reason I went for plastic with this, with it being a better-date coin.

<< <i>The sheet shows a price jump from about $50 in VG to about $175 in Fine, so I think there might be a few dollars to be made. >>

I don't use the Greysheet, but rather a combination of Numismedia and Redbook and gut instinct. The first two are retail priceguides, so there will be times (including this one) that I might end up overpaying as a result, but oh well.

I have $228 in this one. We all know if I'd bid sheet on a slabbed key/semi-key date coin like this I probably wouldn't have gotten it. I was shopping BINs and this one was below both the F12 prices in the 2012 Redbook ($250) and Numismedia FMV ($264), so I pulled the trigger.

Might not have made much sense if I were a bigtime dealer or buying the coin for a fast flip, but it's for a personal collection, so I won't be flipping it in the short term (at least until the set is complete, most likely).

• Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    LM - I think that you paid for a quality coin, something that will pay in the future.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like a pretty solid Fine to me. Can I buy this quality for VG money? The
    sheet shows a price jump from about $50 in VG to about $175 in Fine, so I think
    there might be a few dollars to be made.

Nice looking coin, Lord M. >>

That coin does have the "perfect look". But I really don't think PCGS would give it a 12. I bet if you look at similiar PCGS 10 coins the price will be justified. There is just no way any price quide can be totally acurate...there are way to many considerations when evaluating a coin!
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><< Looks like a pretty solid Fine to me. Can I buy this quality for VG money? >>
    Maybe, if you shop smart and get lucky. >>

That's the name of the game......I paid over Fine Ask for this raw 21-S that the dealer had marked as Fine;
    the coin was then sold to GuitarWes on the forum here for a bargain price:

Just this past weekend, another dealer was showing me a set he'd just acquired.
    There were multiple early date coins he had marked as 'XF' that were AU coins all day long.
    He wanted full XF Bid and not a penny less - I couldn't buy them fast enough!
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Thanks for the input.

I've gotta get my feet wet in this series a little more. As I already admitted, I am still having difficulty spotting the splits between VG10 and F12 and F15 and VF20.

For this reason, I have a feeling there are gonna be some VG10s sneaking into my album, if they haven't already. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file