Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Secure-Plus Mis-attribution. First time for everything, right?

renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has this ever happened to you?

This coin came to me in a Secure Plus MS65 holder. I actually bought it simply because I thought it was a beautiful PL, but MS coin. It has nice mirrors and contrast, and a hammered, no... chiseled strike. Anyway, my first clue should have given it away, as I noticed that the second A in AMERICA was completely filled, just like my 1864 DCAM. In fact, the first A was partially filled as well. I was also intrigued by the slight apparant doubling of many letters in the obverse legend, so curiosity getting the better of me, I pulled out my trusty copy of the Snow Attribution Guide to see if it was listed as a bonafide Snow variety. I was quite pleased to learn that this was no ordinary MS variety, but a PROOF. In truth, I was extremely hesitant to believe it could actually be, since it resided in an MS holder from PCGS, but the diagnostics don't lie. The filled A's are only part of the story. There is also a clearly visible diagonal die line between the denticles above the right upper serif on M, s well as clearly visible (not so much in my photo, but you can tell) diagonal polish lines in the vertical shield lines on the reverse.

The price guide suggests about a $1500 value increase, but in reality, nice PR65s are selling for much more. I should be happy, although in truth, what I was really hoping for when I bought the coin was a really and truly PL MS coin. Wierd, huh? I guess it could be worse. it could be an 1877. Then I'd be pi$$ed.

Isn't this what makes numismatics so NEAT? You just never know what you're going to come across. Anyway, here are the pics.

By the way, PCGS is going to make this right by reholdering it as a proof at their expense, and throwing me a free grading certificate to cover the expense of me having to ship the coin out to them. Thanks PCGS!

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file