Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who's behind the slab sticker "wings"?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just got this coin and hadn't seen or heard of "wings" before. This just a wannabe nonsense sticker or is it from a "real" dealer?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    Oh that's the real deal my friend.... you haven't heard yet? It gives your slabs wings!!!
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pay with this coin and receive a discount at KFC.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the Red Bull sticker...

It gives you wings!

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    It was certified by Paul McCartney.
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who's behind the slab sticker "wings"?

Lance Tchor.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Lance Tchor. He is a dealer from Florida.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It was certified by Paul McCartney. >>

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lance Tchor. He is a dealer from Florida. >>

Lance runs, or used to run, Federal Coin & Bullion Inc. in Lutz, FL, outside of Tampa.
  • Options
    Thanks, guys!
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    The WINGS sticker says "Original" in the hologram. Anyone know if the WINGs sticker is intended to suggest the coin is in its original state, has original surfaces, etc.? If so, is this a new service that isn't being offered by others?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The WINGS sticker says "Original" in the hologram. Anyone know if the WINGs sticker is intended to suggest the coin is in its original state, has original surfaces, etc.? If so, is this a new service that isn't being offered by others? >>

Sounds like a dealer sticker similar to the Eagle Eye stickers. Only time will tell if they will carch on in the market place. I have my doubts though.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The WINGS sticker says "Original" in the hologram. Anyone know if the WINGs sticker is intended to suggest the coin is in its original state, has original surfaces, etc.? If so, is this a new service that isn't being offered by others? >>

Sounds like a dealer sticker similar to the Eagle Eye stickers. Only time will tell if they will carch on in the market place. I have my doubts though. >>

What makes this somewhat interesting is that there has been some desire to have an opinion on originality. It would be interesting to find out if this is the market need he's responding to.
  • Options
    It appears the slab size needs to increase to allow for stickers to be placed. Where would CAC put the sticker now?
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Sounds like a dealer sticker similar to the Eagle Eye stickers. Only time will tell if they will carch on in the market place. I have my doubts though. >>

What makes this somewhat interesting is that there has been some desire to have an opinion on originality. It would be interesting to find out if this is the market need he's responding to. >>

I've known Lance for many years and have seen quite a bit of his inventory over that time, too. As far as I can recall, Lance has been selling coins with WINGS stickers on them shortly after CAC launched. As for the "ORIGINAL" on the hologram; I interpret this to mean that the hologram has not been tampered with and would not interpret any numismatic evaluation as to the surface of the coin.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

What makes this somewhat interesting is that there has been some desire to have an opinion on originality. It would be interesting to find out if this is the market need he's responding to. >>

I've known Lance for many years and have seen quite a bit of his inventory over that time, too. As far as I can recall, Lance has been selling coins with WINGS stickers on them shortly after CAC launched. As for the "ORIGINAL" on the hologram; I interpret this to mean that the hologram has not been tampered with and would not interpret any numismatic evaluation as to the surface of the coin. >>

Does he sticker all the coins that he sells or only those that meet certain quality standards similar to CAC?

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what standards Lance uses with his sticker process and cannot recall without doubt whether or not his entire inventory of foreign coinage sports these stickers.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I believe Lance has intended WINGS to be geared primarily towards foreign coins.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    The holo actually reads "original" and "authentic". For what it's worth, the coin does have beautiful lustrous surfaces with just a smidge of schmutz at 10:00 obverse.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...i think it means it's an original 'sticker' image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Lance only stickers foreign gold coins
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wait... the word "original" is on the sticker, and we're supposed to understand that the word refers to the sticker itself, and not the coin??

I'm going to start my own sticker... it will say "PQ" but it will not mean the coin is "premium quality", it will mean the sticker itself is "probably quantum"

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone with an extra $650 laying around, can create their own oval shaped, holographic foil tamper-proof labels.

Here's one that came to mind if I were to ever...........

Leo image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    I consider any sticker other than CAC right now to be meaningless gimmickry. The slab itself says enough, provided it's PCGS or NGC. Individual dealers flagging favorite slabs as "PQ" is a bit dubious, given the already fine nature of grading by parties who aren't trying to sell you the coin.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options

<< <i>I consider any sticker other than CAC right now to be meaningless gimmickry. >>

I'm sure Rick Snow will be happy to hear this.image

• Options

<< <i>[As far as I can recall, Lance has been selling coins with WINGS stickers on them shortly after CAC launched. As for the "ORIGINAL" on the hologram; I interpret this to mean that the hologram has not been tampered with and would not interpret any numismatic evaluation as to the surface of the coin. >>

I don't get it. If it doesn't have any numismatic significance/meaning, what good is it? It must mean some damn thing outside of the sticker itself is ORIGINAL, don't you think? Hell, I can sell you a sticker, too, if that's what you're into, stickers.

Oh, wait, I see, it's a marketing thing...is that it?
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Many Chinese suppliers of hologram stickers will supply custom "football shaped" stickers with any text or artwork that you supply, no questions asked, at $35 per thousand.

I would recommend getting premium coins into PCGS Secure Plus slabs, rather than paying a
    company which offers no warranty to place a sticker on the outside of the slab.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I believe that Lance started Wings in order to verify the grade of world coins. Since CAC does not verify world coins, Lance figured there was a market need or opportunity in this area.

To my knowledge, there was not an attempt to declare the coins as having "original" surfaces, or to only sticker pieces that could be described as such.

Also, as far as I know, Lance does not use these anymore. I think.
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WINGS

it actually stands for

World International Numismatics Grading Service

it was designed only for world coins similiar to cac

Lance is behind it but has several other "experts" who look at the coins.... the intent was to sticker correctly graded coins since many of the world coins were "in Lance" mind overgraded
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    I had not heard of Rick Snow and Eagle Eye until now. Since I haven't focused much on old small copper, I had not come across him. His credentials look pretty substantial. However, I have insufficient experience to endorse or refute him. It's possible that some of the other sticker-ers may be of the same caliber, but they're largely pretty obscure in the overall picture. CAC is the only one that has widespread industry acceptance.

The whole idea of fourth party grading seems to be yet another layer of complexity in an already hair-pulling grading process. How can I learn if experts aren't able to agree? I'd like for coin grading to be more predictable than coin tossing...
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options

<< <i>The whole idea of fourth party grading seems to be yet another layer of complexity in an already hair-pulling grading process. How can I learn if experts aren't able to agree? I'd like for coin grading to be more predictable than coin tossing... >>

Man do I agree with that summation! image
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So now I can get a NGC Star, plus, EERC Photoseal, CAC, and a "Wings". Oh, man, I want that!!!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the WINGS sticker is most often used for World Coins

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    Come on guys! If the slab has a wings sticker it means the grade flies, otherwise the grade doesn'timage
  • Options
    Thanks for the posts CCU and ScarsdaleCoin. It's good to know Lance's intention with WINGS was to provide a CAC-like service for world coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file