Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1916 SLQ PCGS graded at FR-2??

A forum member on cointalk posted the obverse picture of his PCGS FR-02 1916 SLQ. Since I had been studying this coin intently for a while having just purchased one in a lot, I questioned PCGS on this coin. Though the hair curl looks more or less correct, all of the other diagnostics look like that of a 1917 to me. I hope I'm wrong and this truly is a 1916, so please give your opinions. The owner purchased this coin already slabbed at the market value of a 1916. If it is a 1917, and PCGS messed up; does he have any recourse to get reimbursed for the difference in value between the two dates from PCGS?

thanks,
John
All coins kept in safety deposit box.

Comments

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scratches aside, the first thing I looked at was the drapery beside Liberty's right foot. I thought it was supposted to be flat at the bottom.
  • Options
    Ummm. That is a 1917 TY-1
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats a no question 17
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>Ummm. That is a 1917 TY-1 >>

I agree. See here for an excellent article which shows how to distinguish a 1916 from s 1917.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Based upon the diagnostics, that is a 1917 type I. Do you have a link to the original thread?
    Tom

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think PCGS blew it and should own up. There is that obvious clerical error or mechanical error exception (however it's worded) but I don't think it should apply here. I'd fight it.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Here is the original thread on cointalk. It was actually started by me based on a 1916 I found in a coin lot. Later, another member posted a picture of his PCGS SLQ 1916 FR-02, which is what I pictured and questioned on this forum.

http://www.cointalk.com/t98988-3/

His certification number checks out: 5704.02/21430001. He also stated that the slab looked clean and untampered with. Do you think it is more likely that PCGS screwed up and misattributed, or a counterfeit slab with a genuine 1917?
  • Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is the original thread on cointalk. It was actually started by me based on a 1916 I found in a coin lot. Later, another member posted a picture of his PCGS SLQ 1916 FR-02, which is what I pictured and questioned on this forum.

His certification number checks out: 5704.02/21430001. He also stated that the slab looked clean and untampered with. Do you think it is more likely that PCGS screwed up and misattributed, or a counterfeit slab with a genuine 1917? >>

I wonder the same, counterfeit slabs are getting better all the time. Do you have pics of the slab?
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A forum member on cointalk posted the obverse picture of his PCGS FR-02 1916 SLQ. Since I had been studying this coin intently for a while having just purchased one in a lot, I questioned PCGS on this coin. Though the hair curl looks more or less correct, all of the other diagnostics look like that of a 1917 to me. I hope I'm wrong and this truly is a 1916, so please give your opinions. The owner purchased this coin already slabbed at the market value of a 1916. If it is a 1917, and PCGS messed up; does he have any recourse to get reimbursed for the difference in value between the two dates from PCGS?

thanks,
    John >>

That's a 1917. In fact, I can't imagine that PCGS would also actually grade a coin that is that badly scratched... if it's a counterfeit holder I would not be shocked.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    That coin is a 1917 Type 1 for sure.
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any pics of the holder ??? Front/back...
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found another example image for side by side comparison...

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I sure would like to see a pic of the slab; those scratches should have garnered a Genuine holder IMO.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This should be fun
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I sure would like to see a pic of the slab; those scratches should have garnered a Genuine holder IMO. >>

I agree.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I sure would like to see a pic of the slab; those scratches should have garnered a Genuine holder IMO. >>

I agree. >>

If a common date SLQ had those scratches, would they have graded it or gennied it? Do they have different standards for better dates vs. common dates within a given series?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I agree. >>

If a common date SLQ had those scratches, would they have graded it or gennied it? Do they have different standards for better dates vs. common dates within a given series? >>

They're supposed to be the same standards.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If a common date SLQ had those scratches, would they have graded it or gennied it? Do they have different standards for better dates vs. common dates within a given series? >>

At least back in the days before the "genuine" slab, I think many of the more valuable coins and rare dates were quietly "net graded" down for damage instead of BB'd because the authentication was important enough to warrant a slabbing. Which makes sense, I suppose; if I have a 1916 SLQ I'm more interesting in authentication than whether it's FR-2 or AG-3 -- and more concerned about getting certified authentic than whether or not it is graded.

These days, now that an authenticated "genuine" slab is an option, I don't know if the old perception still applies (to the extent it ever did).
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very tough call....IMO
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I agree. >>

If a common date SLQ had those scratches, would they have graded it or gennied it? Do they have different standards for better dates vs. common dates within a given series? >>

They're supposed to be the same standards. >>

We all know that. Now answer the questions!image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I agree. >>

They're supposed to be the same standards. >>

We all know that. Now answer the questions!image >>

Well since you pushed me into the corner, IMO any SLQ with many scratches will get the Genuine slab. That's why I want to see if it's a an authentic PCGS slab.
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Not to beat a dead horse, but that coin screams 1917.
  • Options
    I went to the CoinTalk thread and found this: "Here is the obverse. The real fine scratches are on the PCGS holder, not the coin."

• Options
    Ok I hope it's well established that the coin pictured here is obviously not a 16. It is important to understand that the 1916 hub detail is very different from the 17 T1. It has nothing to do with strike, and when I see a well worn dateless T1 quarter, the overall remaining detail is a dead giveaway regarding identification. If that coin does not shout out "I AM NOT A 1916, SO DON'T PAY MORE THAN THE PRICE OF SILVER FOR ME", then you must immediately run (don’t walk!) out and do your research before paying big money for these coins. I suggest carefully looking at several authentic, dateless 1916 and 1917 T1 SLQs. After this examination, you'll be able to tell the difference from a mile away. Well, I suppose that's a slight exaggeration; how about a block away?image

As many of you have stated, it's the slab that raises questions.
  • Options

<< <i>I went to the CoinTalk thread and found this: "Here is the obverse. The real fine scratches are on the PCGS holder, not the coin." >>

I'll buy that, but what about the heavy scratches? I see one heavy scratch that stops at the edge of the coin. If it's on the plastic, that's one heck of a coincidence.

• Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    I just cannot believe that a coin that terribly scratched got graded by PCGS, it simply has to be a counterfeit slab or someone is showing us a pic of a 1917 T-1 in a Genuine holder.

I got a 1906-D Half Genuined twice because of a VERY light and thin surface scratch (This coin has gouges) that can only be seen under the right angle, this coin isn't even a judgement call, it's a mess.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it appear to anyone else that the quarter in question is simply sitting on top of a slab?
  • Options
    Without all those scratches, I have no doubt that it would have gotten an FR-2+.

• Options
    It's definitely in a slab. The question is, is it fake? It looks ok to me, but I don't know much about authenticating these. This was brought over from cointalk.
  • Options
    Definitely a 1917.

The slab looks somewhat suspect, I'm pretty sure it's fake, although I'll let the experts determine that.
    Successful BST transactions with: Walkerguy21D, Metalsman, chumley, cohodk
  • Options

It looks like a real 1917 to me.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like a fake slab to me.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    I definitely agree that it is a real 1917. What indications do you see that the slab is fake?
  • Options
    The slab looks real to me. I think there is a good chance that PCGS may have mis-attributed the date on the coin.

• Options
    The owner on cointalk states that, "I had my Fr-2 Standing lib checked out by a PCGS grader today and was verified as authentic.

Read more: http://www.cointalk.com/t98988/#ixzz0jpPCPhqI"

Anyone have a clue as to what is going on with PCGS here? I'm at a loss..........
  • Options

<< <i>The owner on cointalk states that, "I had my Fr-2 Standing lib checked out by a PCGS grader today and was verified as authentic.

Read more: http://www.cointalk.com/t98988/#ixzz0jpPCPhqI"

Anyone have a clue as to what is going on with PCGS here? I'm at a loss.......... >>

This is what I just posted on Cointalk in reply to his post:

"How was it examined - in person or via the images? And who was the grader that supposedly checked it out? Did he say the coin was authentic, or that it was an authentic 1916? There's a huge difference.

I don't think there is any way that it's a 1916, and either PCGS made a mistake (for which you need to get compensated) or someone placed the coin in a counterfeit holder.

But, If PCGS has examined the coin in person and declared it to be a genuine 1916, in order to try to protect yourself, you need a letter from them, detailing their conclusion and mentioning your specific coin and its unique ID number.
  • Options
    1916 SLQ PCGS Slab pics:

• Options
    The owner of the coin posted the following reply on Cointalk regarding PCGS's examination of the coin::

"The coin was examined in person and compared to a 1917 (granted, a higher grade 1917). There was no concern about the holder having been played with. The primary diagnostic was the drapery to the right of the right leg. The difference was small, but obvious. I feel comfortable with its attribution as an 1) authentic standing liberty quarter and 2) its attribution as a 1916.

Your suggestion as to getting a letter from PCGS is good. Next time I talk to them, I'll ask"
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Just look at the head in relation to the reed-and-bead border. Clearly not the right style for a 1916.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options

<< <i>Just look at the head in relation to the reed-and-bead border. Clearly not the right style for a 1916. >>

I agree.
  • Options
    On genuine 1916 SLQs, the shield rivets are typically mushy. There are some sharply struck ones, but they never have the look of a 1917 T1.
    On the 17, even in the lowest grades, the protected quadrant of the shield below the "E" and "R" of LIBERTY has sharp, rounded rivets. You will NEVER find a 16 with that kind of detail. It never existed in the first place.
    Here are scans of my 16 and 17 T1. The 16 is an MS63 FH and the 17 is a raw AU. In very low grades, the differences are even more dramatic, since the 16 rivet detail is nearly worn smooth. This and several other diagnostics will quickly identify a 16 or 17 T1, and the coin in question is most certainly a 17 T1.
  • Options
    gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Is that a shoulder strap? Or a weird hit?

Richard
  • Options
    Wow veryfine!!! That looks to be a beautiful 1916.....I'm drooling as that is my dreamcoin!! I was fortunate to find a dateless one cheap. Can you post a full picture?

Anyways, the owner is convinced that the PCGS coin is genuine. I know it's obvious to the rest of us that it is a 1917, but we are all faceless internet folk and he supposedly had it examined by an experienced PCGS grader in hand....so I don't think there is much we can do except to encourage him to learn the diagnostics for himself(which we've all tried to do, but he hasn't been listening).
  • Options
    So, sometimes PCGS labels these as "Standing Liberty" and other times simply "Standing"?

"The great thing about standards is, there are so many different ones to choose from!" Jim Mechan
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm equally bothered that the coin is actually a 1917, and that it didn't body bag or end up in a genuine holder for the scratches. Something is very wrong here.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

<< <i>So, sometimes PCGS labels these as "Standing Liberty" and other times simply "Standing"? >>

I was looking through past Heritage auctions, and yes, the slightly older PCGS holders label it as "Standing".

• Options
    The only diagnostic he mentioned that supposedly separates his coin from a 1917 was this, "The bottom center of the 1916 drapery by the right leg should essentially touch the base (which mine does), while the 1917 drapery bottom center has a small (sub-mm) but noticeable gap."

I know the difference in the drapery fold, and the fact that it attaches to liberty's foot; but I have never heard of the diagnostic described like this. Does anyone else know what he is talking about?

• Options

<< <i>Wow veryfine!!! That looks to be a beautiful 1916.....I'm drooling as that is my dreamcoin!! I was fortunate to find a dateless one cheap. Can you post a full picture? >>

Thanks Johnny,
    Here's a scan of my 1916 type set.
  • Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    That is BEAUTIFUL, veryfine!! I love the look of the quarter!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file