Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Orleans Mint die. Interesting letter.

This might be of interest to Morgan dollar collectors

To: A.W. Downing [Machinist from the Philadelphia Mint]
Jan 19, 1900

“Your are hereby authorized and instructed to proceed to New Orleans, as early as practicable, for temporary duty in the coiner’s department of the U.S. Mint.
“You will endeavor to ascertain the cause or causes why the coinage dies furnished that institution by the Mint at Philadelphia become fractured and imperfect in so short a time, and advise with the Superintendent and coiner as to the best means to be employed to correct the imperfect execution of the coins manufactured by that Mint. On your way to New Orleans I have to request that you stop one day in Washington for conference….”

[RG 104 entry 235, vol. 316]

Comments

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting! Did machinist Downing send a reply after his inspection?
  • Options
    Thank you for another interesting read. Out of curiosity, can you describe the process of wading through the archives a bit? I am really curious. Is the process convenient, or convoluted? Is a lot of the material interesting? Or do you need to wade through a ton of routine paperwork to find something intriguing? I bet it is a lot of fun, in a coin geeky kind of way.

merse

• Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    RWB that is very cool. I bet it's fascinating coming across these tidbits....

Maybe in that year its because Philadelphia sent some old CC reverse dies that had been laying around and shipped back and forth across the country from 7 years prior!

Maybe it wasn't the New Orleans mint's fault! image

Glenn
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW I for one am enjoying these posts...they provide a really neat insight into the inner workings of the Mint in the old days!

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Very interesting! Did machinist Downing send a reply after his inspection?

Downing spent about 5 weeks at the New Orleans Mint. He discovered the problem was improper softening of planchets, and that, in turn, was caused by trying to put too many planchets through the annealing furnace during a day’s work.

As an aside. I suspect this is all related to the 1900-O/CC dollars and the general problem of poorly struck N. O. dollars.

Out of curiosity, can you describe the process of wading through the archives a bit? I am really curious.
    Is the process convenient, or convoluted? Is a lot of the material interesting? Or do you need to wade through a ton of routine paperwork to find something intriguing? I bet it is a lot of fun, in a coin geeky kind of way.

See new post. (above)
  • Options
    Good read, and thanks for taking the time to search it out and post it here for us coin nuts!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Very interesting! Did machinist Downing send a reply after his inspection?

Downing spent about 5 weeks at the New Orleans Mint. He discovered the problem was improper softening of planchets, and that, in turn, was caused by trying to put too many planchets through the annealing furnace during a day’s work.

As an aside. I suspect this is all related to the 1900-O/CC dollars and the general problem of poorly struck N. O. dollars.
    >>

I have long been of the opinion that the tendency towards weak strikes in the centers of New Orleans Morgan dollars was the result of the dies being basined too flat, so that they weren't coming closer together in the centers during the strike, so that there was insufficient metal movement to fill up the ear and the eagle's breast.

Many people can tell the mint mark of a Morgan just by looking at the obverse. That lack of curvature in the field is one of the clues.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    If improperly annealed, those planchets were too hard. I can see how that would both wear the dies down and cause weak strikes. It is difficult to strike a hard planchet.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    This was a persistent problem at New Orleans. Mint HQ wanted 1 million silver dollars a month, but the equipment could only produce about 2/3rds of that with good die life and quality. Hence, they took short cuts.

As to basining – that was done at Philadelphia. Then the branch mints could make minor changes if necessary and with approval from the engraver in Philadelphia. It is possible the New Orleans people were doing something unauthorized; however, the special assay coins were examined and in most cases approved. Downing’s reports do not attribute the problem to die radius. There is likely more information in the archives, and I could easily have missed something in the parts I have searched.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file