Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Heads up: Counterfeit 1802 DBH on eBay

Link

It may not be there for long since I'm about to report it.
But in the meantime, here it is for you to be aware of image

Comments

• Options
    How do you know that half dollar is fake and not genuine?
    I had POSITIVE transactions with the following 31 members == Mach19 - Robkool - KollectorKing - ASUtodd - Coppercoins - Kalshacon - Whatsup - Commoncents05 - Cartwheel - Marmac - Thatoneguy - Collectorcoins - Delistamps - Bestmr - Cwazzy - Ajia - Nefprollc - Grote15 - Rampage - Grip - Rpmhunter - Chumley - 2272DavidG - Utahcoin - Cohodk - Ajbauman - Sportsmoderator1 - Sevensteps - Windycity - Pitboss - Starfish
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Wrong obverse (see *1 and LIBERTY). It's tough to state whether the correct reverse die was used because it's so beat up
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The word "COPY" also appears to have been scraped off the reverse.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    But what if it is a genuine copy?
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Now this is the type of an active auction that should be posted to warn others
  • Options
    cwtcwt Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    It's still there.. Remarkably, the seller has a 100 percent feedback rating.
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had reported this on Saturday, the ebay watchdogs must have had the weekend off. This is an 1806 O-109 pointed 6 no stem, with the 6 tooled off and replaced with a 2.

Unfortunately these are becoming common on eBay, these two were reported in time and the listings were removed Two fake 1802 halves they were made from the same cast die variety. The Chinese will sell these with "copy" or "replica" photoshopped on the coin, and these fakes are now used to make the counterfeit 1802's. The reverse stars are larger, and the 2 is not in the same position as a geniune 1802 half dollar.

Can this still be reported after the auction has ended? Can the buyer be contacted?
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Ebay will still take it down when they get to it, even if it is ended. But if the buyer has paid, it's too late.

I have competed many transactions before the auction was taken down back when pcgs was taken down modern auctions for having Qty 3 with only one set of pictures. --Jerry
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ebay will still take it down when they get to it, even if it is ended. But if the buyer has paid, it's too late.

I have competed many transactions before the auction was taken down back when pcgs was taken down modern auctions for having Qty 3 with only one set of pictures. --Jerry >>

Buyer still has Paypal protection!
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file