Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

This caught my eye on eBay... would it have caught yours? -- 1861 Beauregard Dime

jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was browsing a totally unrelated category on eBay last month when a listing titled "1861 Manassas Confederate General CSA Comm. Medal" caught my eye, along with a the standard postage-stamp preview in list view. This is one of the rare listings that made me sit up straight in my chair -- literally (my posture is lousy image)

I'm not going to claim that was specifically looking for one of these. It is a good example of something that's as much a cherrypick as a normal rip, though. The token itself seems like nothing special. It's silver, obviously worn, about 19 mm in diameter, and even had a loop removed at top. If you don't start off knowing what it is, you'd probably never think to look into it any further. I paid about $200, and probably made the seller's day considering that his reserve was at $25. Before I spill the beans, would anyone like to take a shot at figuring out what it is and why I was thrilled to get it for that price?

(It seemed appropriate to wait until today before posting pictures, as you can see...)

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    It is a very cool piece, assuming it is contemporary to the war. I'd have easily paid $200, if I knew it was minted during the war.

Congratulations!
    Tom

• Options
    Commemorates the first battle of Bull run? Sweet piece

First Manassas - First Bull Run
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the "Beauregard dime"! One much uglier went for around $5K in a Stack's auction earlier this year! Yours I would estimate at $15K or so. COngrats!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    Indeed it is a Beauregard Dime. It's tough to stump the board, although it took almost 40 whole minutes for someone to nail it this time image

The Beauregard dime is something of a mystery. Nobody seems to know who produced it, or why. It's not listed in any standard reference that I know of. It struck in my mind at one point simply because it was strange to have such a mystery in numismatics.

Here is the Stack's listing that Rich mentions. I can only include the text here. It seems that another 'improvement' on the Stack's site is that the pictures are not linkable any more... image

<< <i>Silver, 17.7mm, 2.15 grams (33.1 grains). Reeded edge, crude 2.4mm hole at 12:00. Fine-12. Obv. Head l., (B)RG. GEN. C.S.A. - G.T. BEAUREGARD; C.R. below the truncation. Rev. Laurel wreath encloses MANASSAS / 21 JULY / 1861. This enigmatic piece is of the same fabric as the other known Confederate "dime" that portrays the bearded President Jefferson Davis. Examples of the Beauregard and Davis "dimes" were known in the late 1860s and have since appeared in such great name sales as Garrett, Brand, and Ford. There has been endless speculation over their nature and origin. Most known are holed, while others show traces of a loop that would argue use as a pendant or patriotic badge. Some writers have been encouraged to believe that the edge reeding bolsters their hope that the items were intended to serve as coins or tokens. Some efforts have been made to prove a French origin by cataloguers lacking real familiarity with contemporary French medalets. The signature "C.R." is not encountered on the many "street medals" produced in France in 1848-1870, few of which were ever struck in silver, and the comparatively crude die work is by no means typical of French popular medals of that era. The present Beauregard piece shows wear consistent with long years as a pocket piece by someone who venerated the General's memory. It was part of the great Virgil M. Brand Collection and was acquired by that noteworthy Chicago collector from B.H. Collins on Jan. 26, 1905 for the then-significant price of $25.

Louisiana native Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard (1818-1893) graduated West Point and was one of several Southern officers who fought with great distinction in the Mexican War. He had just been appointed Superintendent at West Point when his native state seceded. Beauregard was swiftly appointed Brigadier General of the new Confederate Army, directing the attack on Fort Sumter. This medalet recalls his victory over Union forces at First Manassas (Bull Run), which made him an acclaimed hero throughout the South. Beauregard served throughout "the War of Northern Aggression," and published memoirs in 1891 that involved him in lively disputes with Jefferson Davis and General J.E. Johnston. >>

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Dayum, boy! Thou Sucketh!

(and if I'd seen it, I'd be the one with the improved posture! image )

• Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    If it is real, thats one heck of a find. You really do suck! image
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, I can't help but take note of the violet patina.image

Congrats on a super score!
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great catch!
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now if you were just a dealer that said you found it in Junk silverimage
    Nice score
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sorry, I can't help but take note of the violet patina. >>

Yeah, sorry, my pics are overexposed. I tried for a while and then just gave up. Maybe I'll get it out of the safe deposit and try again later on, but not right now.

Here are the seller's original pics. Mine are too light; these are too dark. The real piece has nice honest color somewhere in the middle.

imageimage
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was browsing a totally unrelated category on eBay last month when a listing titled "1861 Manassas Confederate General CSA Comm. Medal" caught my eye, along with a the standard postage-stamp preview in list view. This is one of the rare listings that made me sit up straight in my chair -- literally (my posture is lousy image)

I'm not going to claim that was specifically looking for one of these. It is a good example of something that's as much a cherrypick as a normal rip, though. The token itself seems like nothing special. It's silver, obviously worn, about 19 mm in diameter, and even had a loop removed at top. If you don't start off knowing what it is, you'd probably never think to look into it any further. I paid about $200, and probably made the seller's day considering that his reserve was at $25. Before I spill the beans, would anyone like to take a shot at figuring out what it is and why I was thrilled to get it for that price?

(It seemed appropriate to wait until today before posting pictures, as you can see...)

imageimage >>

YEEEE-HAHHHHHHH!!!!!!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it won't be long now before the S**tstorm of negative backlash comes around about "ripping" an uninformed seller, you nasty numismatist.imageimage

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Great finds! And no, you didnt rip anyone. It sold for its value. No one else saw it and it sold for what you were willing to pay.

No rip!
    Just a smart buyer!

YOU SUCK! image

edited to add: I never seen one of these before, this forum is great that way!
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I'm assuming your max bid was quite a bit higher!image
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    It's obviously a modern replica....

Now, please send it to me and I will properly dispose of it! imageimage

Seriously though, VERY image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options

<< <i>I'm assuming your max bid was quite a bit higher! >>

Somewhat higher, but really not all that much. Well under $1,000, anyway. When I think I've spotted something good like this, I usually aim my bid so that I would beat anyone who doesn't know what it is, while still giving a great deal to anyone else who spots it on their own. Personal preference.

(I end up being underbidder a lot...image)
  • Options
    Wow! congrats on a great find and cherrypick! image
    For those that don't know, I am starting pharmacy school in the fall. image
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is very cool, I had never heard of this piece prior to this thread.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Indeed it is a Beauregard Dime. It's tough to stump the board, although it took almost 40 whole minutes for someone to nail it this time image >>

It did take me a while, I do some work during the day. image

I saw one of these about ten years ago, then none until the 3 this year! So it's no wonder that some people had never seen one, they've just not been around until now!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    thats a good rip but you didnt screw anyone, if it sat there for even three days, it sold for as much as anyone was willing to pay.
  • Options
    partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    That is one cool piece of history, and excellent price to get it at! Congrats!!!!
    If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is very cool, I had never heard of this piece prior to this thread. >>

Ditto.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great find!

anyone who thinks you did something wrong is just plain outright Jealous!!
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sense that this may have been glossed over in Fuld's "Patriotic Civil War Tokens".

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Me too, this is the first time I have ever heard of this Civil War CSA

You nailed a good one!
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file