Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Numismatic Hooligans....Fact or Fiction?

ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
A line by Pistareen in another post cracked me up...it was 'Remind me to tell you about the time the original numismatic hooligans waterbombed a sitting ANA President at Summer Seminar.. Has anyone any interesting stories of the antics of numismatic hooligans and other numismatic miscreants or are these along the same lines as the fabled jackalope, ie: everyone knows what they are and heard about them but no one has really personally experienced seeing one?

And since the stories might be rare, feel free to post what sort of antics your imagination thinks numismatic hooligans would engage in!

K

edited for spelling...
ANA LM

Comments

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah ha! I knew it!! Almost 3 hours without anyone providing an example of Numismatic Hooliganism! This thread headed toward Page 2 about as fast as a 'Who else collects SBA's?' thread!

Hmmm....but maybe, just maybe there are some who would like to post but are afraid because they have been threatened by the aforementioned hooligans...maybe something like 'You post about us and we will let everyone know that you secretly collect Modern Commems."...could be, ya never know.

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    tom foolery I say- simply tom foolery..

of course no one will post up- they will be outing a brother hooligan and that could mean

BAMMIFICATION!!!

• Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    Gotta luv hooligans.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen a couple of fights at coin shows involving a dealer with a collector and another involving two dealers but I don't remember any specifics. I would imagine that some of the forum member dealers could tell a few good stories if they choose to share them with us.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Here's a story that I know Pistareen could recite from memory, but I had to look it up. In fact, it's quite possible Pistareen wrote this...

"As described in Carl Carlson's superb November 1978 Numismatist article entitled "Strawberry Leaves and Shiners," the ANS example of the NC-3 was the root of a physical struggle between two of the most respected dealers of their era: Ed Frossard and Lyman Low. When the Merritt-Haines-ANS specimen was presented for public sale in December 1894 as part of Frossard's 130th auction, for some reason Lyman Low called Frossard a "liar," though what he lied about is not recorded. Two later recollections of the scene have survived and both describe how Frossard and Low ended up rolling around on the floor until pulled apart by Harlan P. Smith, who lost a diamond stick pin in the fracas. A.G. Heaton noted the "two numismatic sages were soon mixed up on a dusty floor in a manner that would have made football adversaries envious of their combative qualities until, in a badly circulated condition, they were dragged apart by dismayed spectators." Charles Steigerwalt, who sold the piece offered today to Dr. Thomas Hall after the Parmelee sale, noted in a 1911 piece that the Parmelee specimen "described as 'good' was really 'fine' and the best known" and went on in the sale article to state that Frossard and Low "rolled around on the floor of the auction room, trying to kick each other."

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file