Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Not all AU58's are alike...

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
It's well known that I'm fond of AU58's, but even within TPG holders there's day and night within the same AU58 grade level.

Below are 3 examples of a commonly weakly struck Denver delivery 1916 Buffalo. (seller images)

# 3 is the kind of coin that I seek as it's what I call an AU64, examples like this in TPG AU58 holders are few and far between and require patience to locate...

and are well worth the wait!

1.) PCGS AU58 late die stage with major die erosion -

imageimage

2.) PCGS AU58 late die stage -

3.) PCGS AU58 fully struck super slider-

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    nice tutorial!~

And nice pickup on the AU64! (you did cherry it, right?)
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the third coin is clearly superior to the other two. Similarly, here is an AU55 that is much nicer, in my opinion, than the majority of AU coins for this series-
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    Very nice examples. Shows you why people who live by the slab or sticker, die by the slab or sticker.
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very good point about AU58s not being alike. Definitely noticed the same thing in my search for a nice looking AU58 for my 1908-S IHC grading set.

Here's one that was listed on eBay awhile back that I never had a chance at, someone hit the Buy it Now hours after it was listed and I missed out. Looks like a beautiful coin with decent luster, like a MS64BN w/ the slightest of rub.
    imageimage

Here's another AU58 that's on eBay now that I'll be passing on. Seems to have much less luster and looks more like a dirty AU50-53 to me. Big difference versus the above example.
    imageimage

Could be the pictures as they are different sellers but those AU58s are not close equal in my opinion.
  • Options

<< <i>nice tutorial!~ >>

Thanx that's all this is a spin off on Adamlaneus's thread today with a few examples.

My formula for buying Super Slider AU58's is pretty simple...

Familiarize yourself with what a Gem BU example looks like then trickle it down to a AU58.

There are some real screamers at this grade level if you know what to look for.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First 08-s is much better and 3rd Buffalo is also. Very nice coins!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ahhhh, a breath of numismatic air.
  • Options

<< <i>ahhhh, a breath of numismatic air. >>

More like a numismatic enema... as there where way too many discouraging threads today!
  • Options

Ah yes, a numismatic enema. I remember one of my first submissions all too well.
    AU 58's
  • Options
    illini420, Thanks for posting additional images of Choice and NOT so Choice AU58's image
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    a while back i posted this image, taken from an Ebay auction back in February......it resides in PCGS AU-58 plastic and based on remaining detail it is probably technically graded correctly (but talk about UGLY.....)

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    savoyspecial, I remember that one... a great example of what not to buy! image
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Broadstruck, great examples. Thanks for sharing. I like the 3rd one best followed by the 2nd one in order.

Tom B that's a nice AU55 as far as originality is concerned. Personally I prefer more luster though for 55's and 58's but it might be the photo.

Illini420 I agree the first one is much preferable.

Ewe on the 1932 as well LOL.

The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    TomB, That's a sweet CH AU CBH! image
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

<< <i>a while back i posted this image, taken from an Ebay auction back in February......it resides in PCGS AU-58 plastic and based on remaining detail it is probably technically graded correctly (but talk about UGLY.....)

image >>

Problably was a lot nicer looking before they tried to clean the toning off.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a great, informative thread! Thanks for starting it, BroadStruck.
  • Options
    image 4 the weekend crowd image
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>nice tutorial!~ >>

• Options
    csanotescsanotes Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    I too have found myself not so much as consciously seeking out au 55 and 58 seated quarters with album toning...Get some great looking coins at a significant discount to ms 63 or higher. I'll buy a nice toned 58 seven days a week before I'd get an ms 60, 61 or 62...I usually just can't bring myself to buy those grades. Any ones that have been toned that I got were cracked out quicker than turning off the lights and popped right into an airtite.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That quarter reminds me of the hood on my mother in laws 1986 ford taurus (around 1990)

Ill send you a little KCn if you want to dip it image
  • Options
    I think this is a decent 58 for the type. The luster rolls and I'm hard pressed to find any marks of note, but I guess the strike could be better- opinions?

• Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486

<< <i>

<< <i>nice tutorial!~ >>

image >>

• Options
    DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    IMO, the most desireable AU58 coins are MS64 quality with a touch of rub. Not only that but the best of those coins have fantastic eye appeal - better than most MS63s!

I really enjoyed assembling my CBH set, which I tried to do in AU58 - The Premium Collection.

As for that butt ugly Washington quarter - we would love to get it off the market. If anyone knows where it is, please contact me.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Well, I suppose "technically" the surfaces are AU 58 but as Don and everyone else has pointed out - it sure is butt ugly. (LOL!!)

I also agree and have been saying FOR YEARS that some of the most eye pleasing / beautiful coins out there are AU 58 specimen.

As such, this is where PCGS saved a LOT of people a LOT of money as far too often many a dealer did not hesitate to pass AU 58s
    off as CH BU - Gem. Generally speaking, 58s fool & have fooled many collectors' eyes. image

This monstosity certainly needs to be taken off the market and or conserved PROPERLY!
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kaz, great looking gold Eagle. the obverse looks very high end for a 58, but there does seem to be a little rub on the upper wing/breast of the eagle. seen much much worse in a 58 holder, so I think you did very well. image
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's one of my favorite 58's. Relatively strong strike for a date with a typically very weak strike.

imageimage
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    The problem with collecting the really super AU-58s, especially in the CB halves

is that many have been stripped of their lovely color and upgraded. It is a real

shame what people do for money.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The problem with collecting the really super AU-58s, especially in the CB halves

is that many have been stripped of their lovely color and upgraded. It is a real

shame what people do for money. >>

True, but shame on who? The person doing the stripping, or the service for upgrading an AU coin? They say and yes it's true years ago sellers sold sliders as unc. I see no difference now really with the services putting them in unc holders. I like 58's as well, but they are what they are....... No, I don't go for this au-63 stuff either. image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    There are two AU 58 Wide Am 1999 Wide AM Lincoln cents last time I checked the pop reports.
    One was submitted by me and could be available to an interested buyer some day, but this isn't spam. Just mild bragging image
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My formula for buying Super Slider AU58's is pretty simple...

Familiarize yourself with what a Gem BU example looks like then trickle it down to a AU58.

There are some real screamers at this grade level if you know what to look for. >>

You know.................... this statement is so simple, correct and precise it should be the numismatic phrase of the year!!!!!
    And no brown nosing intendedimage
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The problem with collecting the really super AU-58s, especially in the CB halves

shame what people do for money. >>

True, but shame on who? The person doing the stripping, or the service for upgrading an AU coin? They say and yes it's true years ago sellers sold sliders as unc. I see no difference now really with the services putting them in unc holders. I like 58's as well, but they are what they are....... No, I don't go for this au-63 stuff either. image >>

Not only that, but there is an enormous collector demand for these stripped coins. If there weren't, then it would be unlikely that it would continue at such a rate.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My formula for buying Super Slider AU58's is pretty simple...

There are some real screamers at this grade level if you know what to look for. >>

You know.................... this statement is so simple, correct and precise it should be the numismatic phrase of the year!!!!!
    And no brown nosing intendedimage >>

It is simple, as doesn't this look Gem BU?

Here's one of the finest looking AU58 Barber Quarters I've ever seen and I'd like to add another yet I haven't found anything else to match it.

• Options
    Good grief! I'd swear that's a high end uncirculated coin. You can see every little line in the tail feathers. I see what you mean about "screamers!"

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Illini. I bought that from JK Coins, who seems to know a thing or 2 about p.q.!
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought this in an ANACS 62 holder and regraded at PCGS as 58. Frankly, I don't see why it isn't 63 but whatareyagonnado? Whatever the case it's a nice 58.

jom
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    That is one heck of a gold coin at any grade.

I like it very much. Well done indeed.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    jom, your eagle is a stunner!

I bought this 1935-D quarter already graded as 58, but for the life of me I can't see any luster breaks or rub anywhere. What looks a little dull on the hair is some faint brown toning that resembles rub, but I have looked and looked with a point-source light and am unable to say "There's the rub." Anyway,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file