Home U.S. Coin Forum

Box of 20 Facsimile Slugs (warning large pics)

I recently imaged the facsimile gold slugs in my collection and would like to share them with board members.

Enjoy!image

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Comments

• DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Very cool, thanks for sharing.image
    Becky
  • Thanks for giving me a chance on your fantastic giveaway!!!imageimage
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing! Very cool group of slugs...

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• A very, very nice group ..
    including several Rare ones ..
    and they are all Certifiable by NGC.

take care ! .. tj
    "Authority on Exonumia" - DAD

"many contacts among the Lumberjacks "

NGC Registry AOEDAD sets:

Set #1 Major Expositions
    Set #2 So-called Dollar Collections
    So-called $50 Slug Facsimiles
    Bashlow re-strikes

• YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    How can you shoot them out of a gun or rifle?image

J/k are any real GoLD?
  • Very nice, partial to the ones with guy panning. What would one of those be worth?
    Its all relative
  • UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    now you need to get the real gold slugs! image
  • zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    GREAT photos. Thank you!
  • SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A very, very nice group ..

take care ! .. tj >>

That is good information to know. Some of these can be difficult to identify!

Your NGC registry set is awesome and has been a wealth of information!
  • The Registry is not up to date ..
    but here is what you have ..
    Brian Silliman at NGC will certify all except copy #2
    #'s 1, 9 ,10 are Very Rare !

take care ! .. tj

1 c1940 Augustus Humbert $50 Facsimile - Parker I - J840

2 Copy of Augustus Humbert $50 Slug ( post 1972 )

3 c1950's - 1960's Target Reverse 50 Facsimile # 3 - J355

4 c1930's - 1940's Target Reverse 50 Facsimile # 2 - J335

5 c1940's The Miner Standing - J140

6 (1950 ) Humbert Uniface HK-505 or (1950 ) Gold-plated Bronze - 1.4mm Thin Planchet HK-505A

7 1915 Pan-Pacific Exposition - I & J Type - HK 424 var

8 c1910 The Miner Standing in the Creek - J110 or c1930's The Miner Standing - J133 coin orientation

9 c1920's - 1930's The Miner Kneeling by the Creek - J120 or c1930's The Miner Kneeling - J132 CO

10 c1930's The Miner Kneeling - w/o Slogan - J130

11 c1940's "Days of '49" Gold Rush Centennial - Slug # 2 - J640 / HK502A

12 c1930's "Days of '49" - Slug # 1 - Pointed 4 - J630

13 c1949 "Memento" Slug # 3 Brass with Loop - J447L ( loop removed )

14 1948 Gold Discovery Centennial - Miner # 1 HK-496 or HK-497

15 1948 Gold Discovery Centennial - Miner # 1 HK-496 or HK-497

16 1964 Montana Territorial Slugs - Gilt - J964G

17 1964 Montana Territorial Slugs - Brass - J964

18 1984 Milw Club Medal

19 1976 Bicentennial $50 Gold Slug - J976 with CS

20 1976 Bicentennial $50 Gold Slug - J976

"Authority on Exonumia" - DAD

"many contacts among the Lumberjacks "

NGC Registry AOEDAD sets:

Set #1 Major Expositions
    Set #2 So-called Dollar Collections
    So-called $50 Slug Facsimiles
    Bashlow re-strikes

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, such passion and it shows very well.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2018 2:20PM

I'm a big fan of @SCDHunter. He has great posts and a great collection. He hasn't been on since April 24, 2018. I hope he's okay.

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome collection you have! Thanks for sharing.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet, thanks for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2022 9:26PM

@SCDHunter said:
    I recently imaged the facsimile gold slugs in my collection and would like to share them with board members.

Enjoy!

Not mind, but I just ran across this nice photo of a Earl Parker octagonal and wanted to post it for posterity.

Hope you see this and come back and post @SCDHunter!

@Zoins said:

@zoins, that one is very neat looking. It almost looks bronze but must be toned brass?

Not mind, but I just ran across this nice photo of a Earl Parker octagonal and wanted to post it for posterity.

Hope you see this and come back and post @SCDHunter!

I miss SCD Hunter. He had a great collection. I have two of the Parker slugs.
    One graded in bras MS67 and another I happened upon raw on eBay 10-12 months ago.
    I think the raw one is gilt.

If I’m not mistaken @zoidmiester ran upon a set in a capital plastic holder.
    Maybe he’ll drop by and refresh my memory……..I might be totally wrong…..lol

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are really nice !

• Hey, all! This may be a “noobie” question, but I’ve seen the pedigree “SLUGS - JANKOVSKY” under numerous NGC medals. Can anyone provide some background on these medals? I’ve tried to gather what I can from the above posts, but wasn’t really able to identify any historical background.

If anyone would like to share, I’d surely appreciate it!

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only have this one.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

@JP_Coins said:
    Hey, all! This may be a “noobie” question, but I’ve seen the pedigree “SLUGS - JANKOVSKY” under numerous NGC medals. Can anyone provide some background on these medals? I’ve tried to gather what I can from the above posts, but wasn’t really able to identify any historical background.

If anyone would like to share, I’d surely appreciate it!

Basically, he wrote a few articles and assigned them numbers.
    If you pm me and give me your email I can send the article I have on him.
    Below are a few pages. I think it can be found online as well but, not sure.

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are some nice slugs! Have a small collection of them.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice agglomeration of slugs! Really surprising that photobucket images still show.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AOEDAD
    I see you list #11 as J640/HK502A
    I have the J640 Blunt 4 but my HiblerKappen book(2nd Edition) does not list it as an HK502(A) at all. A completely different item is listed as an HK502. Am I looking somewhere wrong or where do I find a listing for the HK502A?
    Thank you,
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been fortunate to have found a few Humbert $50 Octagon Facsimiles lately. The most recent to arrive is this #J120 Days of '49 Kneeling Miner reverse (coin turn).

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Another recent arrival.

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

@coinsarefun said:

@Zoins said:

I miss SCD Hunter. He had a great collection. I have two of the Parker slugs.
    One graded in bras MS67 and another I happened upon raw on eBay 10-12 months ago.
    I think the raw one is gilt.

If I’m not mistaken @zoidmiester ran upon a set in a capital plastic holder.
    Maybe he’ll drop by and refresh my memory……..I might be totally wrong…..lol

Steph,

These are the ones that you mentioned above. I need to find photos of them in their Capitol holder.

Z

• Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭

@AOEDAD said:
    A very, very nice group ..

take care ! .. tj

My wife thinks all coin collectors are "certifiable", especially me, but not by NGC..

These slugs are really neat. How long did it take to accumulate these. I have never seen the Montana ones before.

@Glen2022 said:

@AOEDAD said:
    A very, very nice group ..

take care ! .. tj

My wife thinks all coin collectors are "certifiable", especially me, but not by NGC..

These slugs are really neat. How long did it take to accumulate these. I have never seen the Montana ones before.

I've been looking for a couple years. Others have been at it a lifetime I'm sure. Most of mine are "details" in some way or another. High grade examples are very elusive.

Another I picked up recently. Blunt "4" example.

Z

• Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭

Your post may have stimulated additional interest in this area. It did for me. I have recently been picking up some medals so-called dollars, and other items, with a theme entered around the Louisiana Purchase Expositions from St. Louis in 1904 and Portland in 1905. I may have to keep my eye open for some of these slugs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file