Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

what puzzles you in the coin world

to me i still puzzle a lil over
how the 1935-s peace dollar never acquired a type 1 & 2 reverse...(3 or 4 ray reverse)...when it's so pronouced

"next"
everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

Comments

• Options
    Why people pay stupid premiums for FBL and FB coins.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    how Stellas got mainstream placement in the RedBook

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dealers that get defensive when politely asked to rationalize the price on a coin with a matter of fact explanation.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    How to objectively come up with a price on a rare item with little sales history.
  • Options

the world........
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    ...how the 1935-s peace dollar never acquired a type 1 & 2 reverse...(3 or 4 ray reverse)...when it's so pronouced...

The extra ray was added manually to a working die, or possibly a master die. We don’t know why or by whom it was added although presumably engraver John Sinnock was responsible. No documentation has turned up.
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    The high price of the 1996 silver eagle.
  • Options
    Why the 51-P Carver/Washington commem in MS65 with a pop of 154 costs $550 in MS65 and $3250 in MS66 with a pop of 26. The condition rarities of the commem series, the Monroe with pops of 345 in MS65 costs $2500 and $6750 in MS66. The Sesqui with a pop of 236 costs $3500 in MS65 and $35,000 in MS66 with a pop of 8. The 51-P C/W is the rarest coin in MS65 in the commem series.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The relatively low popularity of collecting colonial coins compared to collecting coins such as Morgan Dollars. image
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    Just one thing?

Why people put such blind faith in slabs
    Why people continue to pay up for raw coins on eBay

Those are my two big ones.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    What puggles me is the things collectors know and TPG's don't. image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Why collectors pay so much for an opinion.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Why "dipping" is acceptable, "Professional Conserving" is OK, but a slight rub is heresy!

Also, old rubbing of a coin, which is what it would have gotten while being used daily as pocket change, is OK, but recent rubbing is ... see above.

By "rubbing", I don't mean with steel wool or a pencil eraser, but simply rubbing your thumb across the face of a coin to knock the haze off.

(I know some of you cringed just at the thought of me saying that!) I never said I do it, I just don't understand the "it's no longer a gradeable, worthwhile coin to own anymore" attitude.

• Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    (1) That anyone would see any value whatsoever in redbook prices.
    (2) savoyspecial's thing on the Stellas being elevated from patterns to real coins in the redbook.
    (3) That a low value common coin is virtually unmarketable unless you pay a tax to a TPG (that is comparable to the coin's value) and get it slabbed.
    (4) That show venues haven't figured out that they could make a lot more money selling overpriced decent food than the overpriced dreck they have been selling for years.
    (5) That so many collectors are in frantic and stressful rushes to complete collections instead of enjoying the recreation of methodically building sets of carefully selected pieces.
    (6) That dealers are still able to put food on their tables in this age where retail collectors are more commonly (that in the past) bidding against them in public auctions and many of their clients know more about the coins they buy that the dealers themselves do. The edge of the full-time dealer has eroded significantly in the information age.
    (7) That tax evasion is so obvious in the coin world still for so many years.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    It surprises me that (seemingly) a large selection of the hobby looks down their nose at collectors who don't collect the same things they do or have the financial ability to collect only the top of the line stuff. The way I see it is, there is plenty of options for everybody, there's no wrong way to collect. And they should be happy that more people aren't collecting what they do, as it cuts down on their competition for the material!

I know this will probably be considered blasphemy by some, but the popularity of toned coins surprises me. They don't really do anything for me, and I sincercly doubt I will ever go for them.
    I have been saving all the ones I've been finding, however. Mostly Memorial Lincolns. Eventually I'll just give them to somebody who collects toned coins but right now I have three cents and a nickel, and it's not really worth boxing them up and mailing them yet. LOL.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why people pay extremely high premiums for a one point difference in grade (eg. $300 for an MS64 vs. $5,000 for an MS65).

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Why people think they can get something for nothing...coins are far from a necessity and I feel no moral obligation to take a loss to put a smile on someones' face
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why the 51-P Carver/Washington commem in MS65 with a pop of 154 costs $550 in MS65 and $3250 in MS66 with a pop of 26. The condition rarities of the commem series, the Monroe with pops of 345 in MS65 costs $2500 and $6750 in MS66. The Sesqui with a pop of 236 costs $3500 in MS65 and $35,000 in MS66 with a pop of 8. The 51-P C/W is the rarest coin in MS65 in the commem series.

Ron >>

The Sesqui is a much more attractive coin than the Washington Carver commemorative.

It's not just scarcity and grade that make a coin desirable. It is also what the coin itself looks like. Brutal truth, collectors would rather own the Sesqui than the WC and will pay more to do so.

peacockcoins

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    How easily collectors accept the "tuition paid" concept.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭

<< <i>to me i still puzzle a lil over
    how the 1935-s peace dollar never acquired a type 1 & 2 reverse...(3 or 4 ray reverse)...when it's so pronouced

"next" >>

image Don't forget about the 1934-D large and small mint mark Peace Dollar too
  • Options
    Why supposedly intelligent people will spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on coins, but zero on books.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    Buying a 16 dollar proof set and making hundreds of dollars because 2 of the coins graded a 70.

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Does Longacre every sleep, or does he spend every waking moment thinking up questions to post here!! image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The relatively low popularity of collecting colonial coins compared to collecting coins such as Morgan Dollars

That's OK with me! image

Many things already mentioned puzzle me but pricing is the most bedeviling.

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408

Let me preface that one man's puzzlement may be another man's clear understanding...that said I'm puzzled by VAMS.
  • Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    Why the ink on their pages rubs off on my fingers.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Why the 51-P Carver/Washington commem in MS65 with a pop of 154 costs $550 in MS65 and $3250 in MS66 with a pop of 26. The condition rarities of the commem series, the Monroe with pops of 345 in MS65 costs $2500 and $6750 in MS66. The Sesqui with a pop of 236 costs $3500 in MS65 and $35,000 in MS66 with a pop of 8. The 51-P C/W is the rarest coin in MS65 in the commem series.

Ron >>

The Sesqui is a much more attractive coin than the Washington Carver commemorative.

It's not just scarcity and grade that make a coin desirable. It is also what the coin itself looks like. Brutal truth, collectors would rather own the Sesqui than the WC and will pay more to do so. >>

braddick,

I agree with what you say and I know the C/W sub series is not a popular coin. The entire commem series is a weak sell and the C/W's are probably at the top of the list. The hardest set of coins I ever tried to put together was the C/W set in MS 65 and better. Not an easy set to round up. I am not a particular fan of Liberty Nickels but would take a 1913 Liberty Nickel in a heartbeat. As far as that goes I would grab a
    1912-S "V" Nickel too. Thank you for your honest input.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Puzzle coins puzzle me. would be cool to have one though image

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>how Stellas got mainstream placement in the RedBook >>

I too don't know how or why. I don't care what anyone says... those are patterns in my mind!!

Anyways...

I don't know how not a single 1964 peace dollar got out (and got out to the public as well, such as the 1933 st.'s)
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is something else that puzzles me, also probably considered blashphemy by most.

Why so many people, in my opinion, loose sight of everything by being concerned only with "value", ie, how much they can sell it for. Maybe it's because I don't have anything that I could sell for a lot, but I think if that's all you are concerned with you are missing what makes these coins cool to begin with, which is why I collect them. They are tiny little metal pieces of history, that speak volumes about the nation that produced them.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    1) Why people waste money slabbing Modern stuff, especially Bullion "coins". 2) Why people collect Washington quarters.
  • Options

<< <i>Here is something else that puzzles me, also probably considered blashphemy by most.

Why so many people, in my opinion, loose sight of everything by being concerned only with "value", ie, how much they can sell it for. Maybe it's because I don't have anything that I could sell for a lot, but I think if that's all you are concerned with you are missing what makes these coins cool to begin with, which is why I collect them. They are tiny little metal pieces of history, that speak volumes about the nation that produced them. >>

example:
    If I have an 1823 Bust Dime, there is a small chance it was used by a young lawyer named Lincoln (or even an ex-pres named Jefferson for that matter) to buy lunch or new shoes. Doesn't matter if it's been cleaned somewhere along the line or still "original surface" AU58, that chance is exactly the same. To me, THAT is what's fascinating about collecting, not MS65 vs MS66 or NGC vs. PCGS.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Here is something else that puzzles me, also probably considered blashphemy by most.

Why so many people, in my opinion, loose sight of everything by being concerned only with "value", ie, how much they can sell it for. Maybe it's because I don't have anything that I could sell for a lot, but I think if that's all you are concerned with you are missing what makes these coins cool to begin with, which is why I collect them. They are tiny little metal pieces of history, that speak volumes about the nation that produced them. >>

example:
    If I have an 1823 Bust Dime, there is a small chance it was used by a young lawyer named Lincoln (or even an ex-pres named Jefferson for that matter) to buy lunch or new shoes. Doesn't matter if it's been cleaned somewhere along the line or still "original surface" AU58, that chance is exactly the same. To me, THAT is what's fascinating about collecting, not MS65 vs MS66 or NGC vs. PCGS. >>

I appreciate coins for their tangible link to history. I consider myself a "traditional collector of classic coins" and I don't buy coins with investment goals in mind. However...what I have found is this:
    Over the years, I bought and sold and traded coins; added pieces and upgraded my collection; explored new areas and gradually built a decent collection. Then one day I looked around and realized that I had a lot of money tied up in my collection. At that point, I also realized that I had to make sure (to the extent possible) that my coins were easily marketable, and could be expected to at least hold their value so that I wouldn't loose money if I had to sell.

So, in my opinion, it's wise to be mindful of the value of your coins. You may not realize just how much money your collection represents.
  • Options

best quote, I have seen on this site in some time.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Puzzle coins puzzle me. would be cool to have one though image

image >>

I like it!!!!!
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Crap! Disregard! My bad.image

I TOTALLY missed the word "the" in lower case
    and the fact that it all reads in lower case as
    opposed to Coin World!

Scuse me!image