Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Santa Cruz man tries to pay parking tickets with 30,000 pennies

Santa Cruz man tries to pay parking tickets with 30,000 pennies

By Jennifer Squires
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Article Launched: 10/16/2008 08:19:07 AM PDT

SANTA CRUZ -- Robert Havens, 74, had a first recently at the Lee Street home he's lived in for nearly a half-century.
He got parking tickets.

Havens, a wiry retired tree-trimmer who wears a straw hat and loose Wranglers, has several vehicles that don't all fit in his driveway. So he parks his motor home, dump truck and flat bed on the quiet neighborhood street off Emeline Avenue.

A city ordinance states vehicles parked on public streets must be moved every 72 hours -- a rule to prevent people from storing or abandoning their cars on streets -- and Havens said that's a dance he's gotten used to. He said he moves his vehicles every time a city parking officer or police community service officer marks his tires.

Havens had escaped parking problems until this fall, when he found three tickets on three vehicles after spending a long weekend visiting his son in Modesto. He claims he was only gone from 4 p.m. on a Friday to 6 a.m. Sunday, but in that time he racked up three $100 parking tickets.

He plans to contest the tickets, but the city requires people to pay their parking fines before an appeal hearing is scheduled.

So in protest, he tried to pay the fine in pennies Wednesday.

"I'm just giving them back a little bit of what I get every week," Havens said.

He went to four banks to exchange a portion of his Social Security check for 30,000 pennies, which he delivered to the downtown parking office Wednesday afternoon.

Going into it, Havens anticipated a showdown.

"I know they're going to have a fit -- for sure," he said before rolling the 180 pounds of pennies the block and a half from his car to the parking office on Locust Street.

He even brought a letter citing the Uniform Commercial Code that states pennies are money.

"I think pennies are legal tender in the United States and I think they should be accepted," Havens said. "Any government-run operation should have to accept them."

After the parking office supervisor Claudia Carlson told him coins weren't an acceptable form of payment — the office doesn't take loose change, not just Havens' 30,000 pennies — he reluctantly rolled the dolly of buckets back to his car.

"Ha ha, I knew that was coming," Havens said.

But his real disappointment was the lack of resolution to the parking problems in his neighborhood. When the pennies weren't accepted, he was given until 5 p.m. Wednesday to pay the $300 fine and decided not to. By not making the payment, Havens' hearing to appeal the tickets wasn't scheduled. He's not sure what will happen next.

"I'm going to let it go to the next level, whatever that is," Havens said, speculating that a warrant may be issued for his arrest. "I guess I'll find out."

But Havens did make one decision Wednesday: to deposit the pennies in his granddaughter's bank account.

The Secret Of Success Law:
Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    If nothing else, if they do arrest him, he has evidence in his defense that he tried to pay the fine with cash -- and the city refused it.

If I'm a juror, that's enough for me to throw out any charges against him.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭
    This seems just a bit silly.

After all the guy isn't simply parking cars but a Motor Home, a Flat Bed Truck and a Dump Truck.

His neighbors must have gotten pissed.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    To add a little more, being retired, what the heck does he need with a flatbed truck and a dump truck?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    <<<If nothing else, if they do arrest him, he has evidence in his defense that he tried to pay the fine with cash -- and the city refused it.

If I'm a juror, that's enough for me to throw out any charges against him.>>>

i second that
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    yes yes...but were the pennies unsearched image
  • Options
    RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

<< <i>yes yes...but were the pennies unsearched image >>

• Options

<< <i>His neighbors must have gotten pissed. >>

I wouldn't be a bit surprised. My neighbors don't like to use their garage or the parking space they have off the alley for their four cars + motorcycle- they prefer to park in front of my house. Well, except for the motorcycle, which they park on the sidewalk. I know it's a public street, but I still think it's rude. And no- they don't care what I think.
  • Options

<< <i>To add a little more, being retired, what the heck does he need with a flatbed truck and a dump truck? >>

To haul his pennies. What do you think he needs them for?

Ray
  • Options

<< <i><<<If nothing else, if they do arrest him, he has evidence in his defense that he tried to pay the fine with cash -- and the city refused it.

i second that >>

I'd go a step further and make the parking office pay him for his troubles. If the neighbors were not happy with the current situation this should have been in the story to add some validity, otherwise this smacks of an overextended government. This is Santa Cruz, (laid back, organic and green in many ways) not a down town metro area.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys realize this man called the local news before going down to pay his fine, right? It's not like they have a reporter sitting outside the parking office waiting for the one joker a year who tries to pull this stunt. So not only is he skirting the town's parking code and storing industrial equipment on a public thoroughfare, the minute he gets called to the carpet for it his first move is to call the local TV paper and pay with pennies? I'm sorry, he's not getting any sympathy here.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

Only if he got them on Ebay.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You guys realize this man called the local news before going down to pay his fine, right? It's not like they have a reporter sitting outside the parking office waiting for the one joker a year who tries to pull this stunt. So not only is he skirting the town's parking code and storing industrial equipment on a public thoroughfare, the minute he gets called to the carpet for it his first move is to call the local TV paper and pay with pennies? I'm sorry, he's not getting any sympathy here. >>

I don't have sympathy per se -- but he did try to pay his fine with cash, and the city refused to accept payment. At this point they have no valid grounds to pursue further charges in my opinion.

I'm not saying the guy is innocent, but if he tries to pay and the city refuses it, that's the city's problem as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Only if he got them on Ebay. >>

Again image
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    I think I will try to pay my taxes with pennies, If I can find that many.
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just like fractional currency no one has to accept more than $5.00 in pennies at any given time,
    So the City had the legal right to refuse the pennies.
    Say what you want but no all money is equal
  • Options
    If only the city fines dept had a night depository box !! <eg>
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You guys realize this man called the local news before going down to pay his fine, right? It's not like they have a reporter sitting outside the parking office waiting for the one joker a year who tries to pull this stunt. So not only is he skirting the town's parking code and storing industrial equipment on a public thoroughfare, the minute he gets called to the carpet for it his first move is to call the local TV paper and pay with pennies? I'm sorry, he's not getting any sympathy here. >>

I don't have sympathy per se -- but he did try to pay his fine with cash, and the city refused to accept payment. At this point they have no valid grounds to pursue further charges in my opinion.

I'm not saying the guy is innocent, but if he tries to pay and the city refuses it, that's the city's problem as far as I'm concerned. >>

I kind of agree as ar as trying to pay but rules are rules and those rules were probably put in place because some other or maybe multiple jokers did exactly the same thing.

Most clerks with the city are women (not trying to be sexist here just a realist) and women are not necessarily equipped to haul around 180 lbs in cents. This fella brought them in on a dolly so exactly how would these ladies handle these coins? Do you suppose that city office is equipped to even deposit this much change ? Exactly what was accomplished by this silly act since this fella new upfront that they "probably" wouldn;t take them and even had the local news there to report on the situation?

This so reminds me of this thread!

<< <i>The next day was more of the same and the tellers were getting even more hostile with me. Finally on the fifth day, I walk into the bank, and the tellers told me, we can't take your stolen money. The manager came over to me and brought me into her office and started questioning me. 5 minutes later, a police officer had showed up too! He too started questioning me too!

I told them both that I didn't have to answer any questions and that as a customer of their bank that I was entitled to deposit money, no matter the form, and that if they had a problem with me doing that, I would get a lawyer to investigate a discrimination case. Would they question a 80 year old man bringing this much coin in? I also told them that my family was friends with the president of the bank. I walked out of the managers office and plopped the bag of halves onto the counter and requested they be counted. Needles to say I got quite some attitude. I got my money and walked out. I contacted the president of the bank (he lives next door) and told him of my situation. He told me that he would correct the situation and if need be, to have the tellers or managers give his office a direct call if they had a problem.

The next day I walk in and immediately the tellers start talking about me out loud, in front of other customers. "Oh no, not this kid again!" I smiled and walked over to her counter. I plopped my halves on the counter and she proceeded to give me more attitude. I said that I would like these counted and that if she had any problems with me or my half dollars again, she should call the president, at 555-5555. I gave her his business card. >>

I guess some folks are just born with a chip on their shoulders!

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You guys realize this man called the local news before going down to pay his fine, right? It's not like they have a reporter sitting outside the parking office waiting for the one joker a year who tries to pull this stunt. So not only is he skirting the town's parking code and storing industrial equipment on a public thoroughfare, the minute he gets called to the carpet for it his first move is to call the local TV paper and pay with pennies? I'm sorry, he's not getting any sympathy here. Sean Reynolds >>

I wouldn't be very happy if all that crap was parked on my quiet cul-de-sac. --Jerry
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>This seems just a bit silly.

After all the guy isn't simply parking cars but a Motor Home, a Flat Bed Truck and a Dump Truck.

His neighbors must have gotten pissed. >>

Are you sure that wasn't Randy Quade. He always parked his Motor Home in front of Clarks Griswolds house. I never heard of him getting a damn ticket.image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The guy plays a game and he lost.
    Then he wants to jerk others around and waste their time and resources.

I wouldn't have any sympathy for him and would have no trouble fining him.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    acsbacsb Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    My two little ones (see avatar) are both at the college up on the hill in SC. From what I've seen, this is pretty typical behavior for a large percentage of Santa Cruz residents - Let's Try To Screw 'The Man'. Come on, it's not still 1969.
    And I gotta agree. If you've got a motor home, a flatbed, and a dump truck playing musical chairs in a quiet residential neighborhood, you probably don't count too many of your neighbors as friends.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    IMO he tendered payment, which was refused; therefore, he is discharged from paying the fine. Of course it will cost him more than $300 to get a judge to agree.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To the gallows with this scallywag ! (how's that Bochi ? )
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Pennies are legal tender, they have no right to refuse payment of fees using legal tender.
  • Options
    Here's a good one.....kind of wordy toward the end (and middle), but story itself is interesting.

hungry kids with pennies
    -May the road rise up to meet you and the wind be at your back-

My Coin Painting Website
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To the gallows with this scallywag ! (how's that Bochi ? ) >>

That's fine yaha. I expect nothing else from you image

I'm sorry I don't have a warped sense of humor that some want. I am a pretty simple man. I do try to treat others like I would like to be treated and I do try to make things better, when I can. I don't try to cost others time/money just fun as it all comes back, one way or another.
    To be petty, and promote such, with the government, just to "screw the man", just costs us all more in the end.

And, actually, I do like to joke, but I doubt many of those posting are joking, and everything in life isn't a joke, for some people.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those of you that havent been...Santa Cruz is a "special" place. Sounds like the norm in that little central coast metropolis.
  • Options

<< <i>Here's a good one.....kind of wordy toward the end (and middle), but story itself is interesting.

hungry kids with pennies >>

That was only $2.00 and the penalty was extreme. But then most schools respond with extreme measures under the guise of zero tolerance.

The fellow in the OP had 180 punds of cents. Big difference.

<< <i>IMO he tendered payment, which was refused; therefore, he is discharged from paying the fine. >>

This woud cost a lot more than $300 to argue and just because they are legal tender does not mean that folks have to accept them.

As a test, go pickup $150 in cents and then try to pay your grocery bill with them. I mean, just for grins!

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>To add a little more, being retired, what the heck does he need with a flatbed truck and a dump truck? >>

In this country, I do not think "need" is relavant...he wants them, he is alowed and they are his.
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Here's a good one.....kind of wordy toward the end (and middle), but story itself is interesting.

hungry kids with pennies >>

That was only $2.00 and the penalty was extreme. But then most schools respond with extreme measures under the guise of zero tolerance.

The fellow in the OP had 180 punds of cents. Big difference.

<< <i>IMO he tendered payment, which was refused; therefore, he is discharged from paying the fine. >>

This woud cost a lot more than $300 to argue and just because they are legal tender does not mean that folks have to accept them.

As a test, go pickup $150 in cents and then try to pay your grocery bill with them. I mean, just for grins! >>

Time to back pedal after reading the article on Education Wonks.

This wasn;t just a couple of students but 29 students whic comes to $58.00 in cents for a $2.00 lunch of 5,800 cents. I think this was extreme but I also think the scholl could have acted differently.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    If I was a juror i'd vote against him. He tried to pay in pennies and the only legal tender is cents. image
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Great idea. Mrs. Longacre just got a $175 speeding ticket last week. I should pay it in pennies. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options

He's a retired tree trimmer. Seems like appropriate tools for the job. Sometimes retired
    doesn't mean "not working."

The Secret Of Success Law:
    Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.
  • Options

<< <i>

He's a retired tree trimmer. Seems like appropriate tools for the job. Sometimes retired
    doesn't mean "not working." >>

Does too! image

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    How about this one

penny payment
    -May the road rise up to meet you and the wind be at your back-

My Coin Painting Website
  • Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    The guy got the pennies to be a jerk - and ended up hauling them around.
    He only proved he is a jerk - nothing else, IMHO
    Finem Respice
  • Options
    This works the other way around too, last night the convenience store where I gassed up had a big sign in the window, no bills larger than $20 for any purchase under $5. I wonder if our friend would drive his dump truck down to the 7-11 and have the local news film him trying to buy a pack of gum with a $50.

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just like buying stuff with my pennies...
  • Options

<< <i>I just like buying stuff with my pennies... >>

Fast Food Drive-Up windows just "LOVE" pennies.
    I've ticked-off Taco Bell, McD's, Booger King & Sonic lately <eg>
  • Options

<< <i>Fast Food Drive-Up windows just "LOVE" pennies.
    I've ticked-off Taco Bell, McD's, Booger King & Sonic lately <eg> >>

I hope you ticked them off *after* you've already gotten your order. Otherwise, that "Booger King" hamburger could have been the real deal... image
  • Options

<< <i>Great idea. Mrs. Longacre just got a $175 speeding ticket last week. I should pay it in pennies. image >>

Wow. speeding is cheap in CT. Would likely be double that here. --Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>Great idea. Mrs. Longacre just got a $175 speeding ticket last week. I should pay it in pennies. image >>

Why don't you instead take $10 in cent rolls and glue them under her gas pedal, maybe if the pedal can't reach the floor she won't be ale to drive so fast.

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Longacre- You are going to pay the ticket? You slept thru traffic court 101? Around here you just keep setting and appealing them. After 5 or so years they drop it.

I do not see any big deal with paying bills, tickets with pennies. I wish some of my renters would pay in cents
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options

<< <i>Longacre- You are going to pay the ticket? You slept thru traffic court 101? Around here you just keep setting and appealing them. After 5 or so years they drop it.

I do not see any big deal with paying bills, tickets with pennies. I wish some of my renters would pay in cents >>

Send them a note and ask them politely, maybe they'll accomodate you. I think you might get sick of it after the 2nd or 3rd month though.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Only if he got them on Ebay. >>

Good one, Barry!image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    "Going into it, Havens anticipated a showdown.

"I know they're going to have a fit -- for sure," he said before rolling the 180 pounds of pennies"

So now he's intentionally causing unnecessary trouble. And for what? To punish those people who dared to give him parking tickets.

How pathetic and childish.

He broke the law. The same one that everyone else has to follow.

Grow up, (he's 74? really?), be a man and pay your fines, and get on with your life.

"... he parks his motor home, dump truck and flat bed on the quiet neighborhood street off Emeline Avenue."

Yeah, I bet he's a joy having as a neighbor.
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    So, Do we have a lawyer in the area who can look up what happened to him? --Jerry
  • Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    Oh great. I got suckered into a thread 15 months old.
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    They should be forced to take the payment as long as its legal tender. I agree though, the old man is being childish and is causing problems. Be respectful of everyones time and pay your bill with the correct form of payment and on time. Pay the ticket and move on with your life!
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i><<<If nothing else, if they do arrest him, he has evidence in his defense that he tried to pay the fine with cash -- and the city refused it.

i second that >>

I'd go a step further and make the parking office pay him for his troubles. If the neighbors were not happy with the current situation this should have been in the story to add some validity, otherwise this smacks of an overextended government. This is Santa Cruz, (laid back, organic and green in many ways) not a down town metro area. >>

Yeah, too many cops with too much time.

Hell I'd have left the bucket in the middle of the night with the tickets taped to it. Their problem not mine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file