Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the biggest "You Suck" awarded on the boards?

Just curious who has received the biggest "You Suck" for the biggest score here on the boards. Thanks in advance.

-Paul
Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com

Comments

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biggest one I can recall is someone cherrypicked a 1860-O Dime off ebay. It was part of a group of coins that sold for $30 or so. It graded AU-58, and is worth around $30k IIRC.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Though far from the biggest on the boards, this is my personal best. Scored for about 3 cents or so from a bulk bag of Wheaties, graded XF40 at PCGS.

Sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're just the... bug.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

Russ' PrDCAM '64 kinky hair Kennedys deserved a BIG YS.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I got one for a 62 Frankie I bought for $7, graded a MS66FBL
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Connecticoin's memory is exaggerating things a bit. The 1860-O dime was part of group that sold for $408, and it's worth $10,000 or so.

My vote for biggest "You Suck" is SUMADORA's hoard of 11,000 godless Washington $1s, sold for upwards of $800,000 if I remember right. It's going to be HARD to top that one in terms of dollar profit, although it's "only" (!) an 80x score in terms of ratio.

Earlier thread on the subject
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what the biggest one is, but I was just awarded #5 today!
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't think I've ever had a you suck. Hm, oh well. image
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sumorada's, hands down.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    When the "YOU SUCK!" was set up, it was based on the amount you paid for the coin, and the amount is sold for (or was worth). While 80X is a great score, it's not real YOU SUCK! material. If I remember the 1st official YOU SUCK! was given to Don Heath. Who scored a 1965 SMS 50C in MS68DCAM out of a $10 SMS set. A true YOU SUCK! is a 1000X or better ratio.

Someone who buys a coin for $4,000,000 and flips it for $5,500,000 may make $1,500,000. But they don't get a YOU SUCK!

• Options

<< <i>Sumorada's, hands down. >>

I think he made close to 7 figures from that.
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    My one and only, can't remember if it was here or ATS, was for a score of two early halves that I purchased from a young lady at a grocery store:

Total purchase price, $1.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was his the box full of plain edge Washington dollars?
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He got 11,000+ of them at face value from the bank.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i>Don't think I've ever had a you suck. Hm, oh well. >>

Maybe not awarded, but deserved, cladiator. If I was the "bug" in that deal I posted in my last reply, you were the windshield! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Don't think I've ever had a you suck. Hm, oh well. >>

Maybe not awarded, but deserved, cladiator. If I was the "bug" in that deal I posted in my last reply, you were the windshield! image >>

Yeah but I thought "you suck" had to be where you knew the item was valuable. In our case neither of us knew what we had. With the O.129 the person that deserved the You Suck would have been my buyer, David Hatfield. He got a 30Kish coin for 2K knowing full well what he was buying.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    C'mon now Marty.
    What happened to the 'You Suck - Hall of Fame' that was on your website??

Inquiring minds want to know!image

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

<< <i>Connecticoin's memory is exaggerating things a bit. The 1860-O dime was part of group that sold for $408, and it's worth $10,000 or so.

My vote for biggest "You Suck" is SUMADORA's hoard of 11,000 godless Washington $1s, sold for upwards of $800,000 if I remember right. It's going to be HARD to top that one in terms of dollar profit, although it's "only" (!) an 80x score in terms of ratio.

Earlier thread on the subject >>

Sorry, these get to be fish stories after a couple years.

Holy crap $800k?? I did not catch that -- I thought he "only" had a few hundred. image
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When the "YOU SUCK!" was set up, it was based on the amount you paid for the coin, and the amount is sold for (or was worth). While 80X is a great score, it's not real YOU SUCK! material. ... A true YOU SUCK! is a 1000X or better ratio. >>

I don't think I can agree with that. You're pretty much saying that a YOU SUCK! can't be awarded if you pay much above face value. It's really really really hard to make 100x on something bought for more than face value, let alone 1000x.

In that old "homerun" thread, the highest ratio reported was "only" 240x, for a 1962 50c MS66FBL paid $7 raw, sold $12,000. Gotta include grading fees when figuring the ratio!
  • Options
    MPLunaticMPLunatic Posts: 617 ✭✭
    i feel for you lordmarcovan, that sucks, carrying around a 30k coin for 3 years, who knew?
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

at least twice

• Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    I am proud of mine, but it pales in comparison to some of the ones mentioned above. I think the Sumodora takes the You Suck cake..........
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options

<< <i>I am proud of mine, but it pales in comparison to some of the ones mentioned above. I think the Sumodora takes the You Suck cake.......... >>

I agree... I take pride in the few that I've received, but they've never been more than several thousand dollars. How can someone compare with high 6-figures? image
  • Options
    When the server gets reinstalled this weekend, I'll post the page.

• Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

Marty........YOU SUCK!
  • Options

<< <i>I feel for you lordmarcovan, that sucks, carrying around a 30k coin for 3 years, who knew? >>

Well, I certainly didn't, nor did Cladiator, to whom I sold it.

I look at it this way: there was a 99.8% I would have never discovered what I had, anyway. I'm simply not very interested by die varieties. Had I not sold the coin and had it not been discovered later, I wouldn't have been the wiser.

So while yeah, it stings to think about a $30K coin slipping through one's unknowing grasp that way, I can take it philosophically and enjoy being part of the tale. Which is more than I would have gotten if the coin had changed hands a few more times before it was discovered.

• Options
    I bought a raw 09-S VDB for $500 that came back 64-RB.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it went to the forum member (hint: starts with an "S") in Florida who was fortunate to come across cases of Washington dollars with missing edge letters. He never did fess up what they brought in.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've gotten more then a 1/2 a dozen You Suck's... yet these awards aren't anything I can share beyond the boards! imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I got one for a 62 Frankie I bought for $7, graded a MS66FBL >>

That one came to mind ahead of that certain 93-S from the pawn shop? image

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never garnered an official YOU SUCK, though for a while there I was the king of the You Suck Lite™, which I believe Russ once defined as a 10x to 25x return. So I suck a little less but make it up in volume. image

I remember a few doozies from Marty's Hal of Fame page, like the forum member who pulled around 18 gem 1949-D/S nickels from an OBW. And jonathan, it may not be your most profitable pick, but to me nothing will top the 1970-S DDO you bought raw on eBay from a blurry obverse picture. That pick took more stones than all of mine put together.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I got one for a 62 Frankie I bought for $7, graded a MS66FBL >>

That one came to mind ahead of that certain 93-S from the pawn shop? image >>

Don't forget the book of error coins that happened to include a Kennedy Half indented by a smaller denomination planchet, or the 1938 proof set. He's sucked so often we finally had to make him a trophy:

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When the "YOU SUCK!" was set up, it was based on the amount you paid for the coin, and the amount is sold for (or was worth). While 80X is a great score, it's not real YOU SUCK! material. If I remember the 1st official YOU SUCK! was given to Don Heath. Who scored a 1965 SMS 50C in MS68DCAM out of a $10 SMS set. A true YOU SUCK! is a 1000X or better ratio.

Someone who buys a coin for $4,000,000 and flips it for $5,500,000 may make $1,500,000. But they don't get a YOU SUCK! >>

So my IKE Prototype Coin which is a one of a Kind, which I bought for less than $10 would qualify right?

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>When the "YOU SUCK!" was set up, it was based on the amount you paid for the coin, and the amount is sold for (or was worth). While 80X is a great score, it's not real YOU SUCK! material. If I remember the 1st official YOU SUCK! was given to Don Heath. Who scored a 1965 SMS 50C in MS68DCAM out of a $10 SMS set. A true YOU SUCK! is a 1000X or better ratio.

Someone who buys a coin for $4,000,000 and flips it for $5,500,000 may make $1,500,000. But they don't get a YOU SUCK! >>

Marty, I will have to disagree as well. If only one of these coins was found, then yes, no YOU SUCK for only an $80 score. But finding a hoard of these that could fund a luxury home or early retirement is definitely a YOU SUCK!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Such a term of endearment. image
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Such a term of endearment. image >>

It is the way of our people. image

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file