Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1975 "no s" proof dime

The PCGS and NGS Census shows no record of this dime being graded, however, some say it does exist. Has anyone ever seen this dime for sale or in a collection? Does it even exist? Thanks for any information.

Comments

• Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure I saw a discussion on these a while back here on the boards. Best I remember the author of the post said he had seen 2 of them at one time.

let me do some digging and see if i can find the OP.
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    here ya go

link
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options

<< <i>here ya go

link >>

Thanks direwolf1972. I guess it is possbile they exist. But only two sets? I've asked many proof dealers, and they all say the dime does exist, but none of them have ever seen one or know the value of the coin. If the coin does exist, why not certify it? Would it not have a greater market value than the 1968, given the population? I would think so. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are about 5-6 of these and yes, none of them have been graded. It has been rumored that one sold privately for about $40,000.

PCGS does indeed have a coin # if anyone wishes to get theirs graded.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>here ya go

link >>

Thanks direwolf1972. I guess it is possbile they exist. But only two sets? I've asked many proof dealers, and they all say the dime does exist, but none of them have ever seen one or know the value of the coin. If the coin does exist, why not certify it? Would it not have a greater market value than the 1968, given the population? I would think so. Thanks for the info. >>

These coins found homes with error collectors long before anybody was slabbing coins. There has been no need for the owners to submit them in the interim.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>It has been rumored that one sold privately for about $40,000.

>>

Wow.
    --->imageimageimageimage<---
  • Options
    bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    If you found one of these sets , would it be more valuable getting the dime certified or leaving it as a set???

I know old post but was just wondering!!!
    Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    IMHO it makes NO sense NOT to get this coin slabbed by PCGS in whatever grade they offer. Leaving it out of the slab can only reduce the grade overtime assuming it is subject to handling or air. Steveimage
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>IMHO it makes NO sense NOT to get this coin slabbed by PCGS in whatever grade they offer. Leaving it out of the slab can only reduce the grade overtime assuming it is subject to handling or air. Steveimage >>

I disagree, but that's just me. I'd have left it in the original govt. packaging.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are about 5-6 of these and yes, none of them have been graded.

I've often wondered if any of them could be 40% silver. After all, the "No-S" proof quarter, half and dollar of that year were all 40%.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

<< <i> There are about 5-6 of these and yes, none of them have been graded.

I've often wondered if any of them could be 40% silver. After all, the "No-S" proof quarter, half and dollar of that year were all 40%. >>

There were 40% planchets prepared for the other coins, Andy, as they had marketing plans to sell them in that format, but I am unaware if there was ever plans to coin the dime in 40% silver, so I would be very, very surprised to see them on 40% plancets. They were always rumored to be in the 1975 proof set, as well.

The picture above is the first actual picture, let alone a physical coin, that I have ever seen.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> There are about 5-6 of these and yes, none of them have been graded.

I've often wondered if any of them could be 40% silver. After all, the "No-S" proof quarter, half and dollar of that year were all 40%. >>

The discovery coin that I saw had a normal copper core.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file