Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's the deal with mail delivered to the wrong address?

I had a package delivered to the wrong address recently. The tracking shows it was delivered to a different Zip Code, so I can only assume they delivered it to someone other than me; because I haven't seen it. What's the policy regarding this? Is the person who received the package at fault if they open it? Is that tampering with mail? Or, are they releived of any responsibility since it was delivered to their address?
To support LordM's European Trip, click here!

Comments

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

hmmmm, sounds like a question for the postmaster general!image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    USPS is crap, it's crap
  • Options

<< <i>USPS is crap, it's crap >>

You got that right...
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Registered from PCGS was delivered to friggin' Great Adventure Six Flags! Crap, pure USPS crap.
  • Options
    OffMetalOffMetal Posts: 1,684
    I logged on to check shipment of a $400 package since it's been over a week since it was paid for and it was signed for by someone I've never heard of!

Then it came later in the day...
    -Ben T. * Collector of Errors! * Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I've mailed over 4000 packages thru the USPS in the last 2 yrs and only 1 was reported missing and I was never sure that it wasn't delivered. I beilieve their human error rate is very low. --Jerry
  • Options
    Does anyone know the policy?
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>hmmmm, sounds like a question for the postmaster general!image >>

"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>Is the person who received the package at fault if they open it? >>

I don't see how you can blame them if they do- there's no way to be sure they even noticed that the package was addressed to someone else. When I get stuff in my mailbox, I figure it's supposed to be for me. Every couple of months though, I'll open something and not notice that it was addressed to a neighbor until I see what's inside.

Now, what they do with the package after they accidentally open it is another story.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Is the person who received the package at fault if they open it? >>

I don't see how you can blame them if they do- there's no way to be sure they even noticed that the package was addressed to someone else. When I get stuff in my mailbox, I figure it's supposed to be for me. Every couple of months though, I'll open something and not notice that it was addressed to a neighbor until I see what's inside.

Now, what they do with the package after they accidentally open it is another story. >>

That's what I'm worried about. What if they see it's something valuable and go hawk it at a pawn shop or something?
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone know the policy? >>

I would say their policy would be that the person that recieves it would have to give it back. But if they don't you just move to insuranceland. --Jerry
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219

<< <i>I had a package delivered to the wrong address recently. The tracking shows it was delivered to a different Zip Code, so I can only assume they delivered it to someone other than me; because I haven't seen it. What's the policy regarding this? Is the person who received the package at fault if they open it? Is that tampering with mail? Or, are they releived of any responsibility since it was delivered to their address? >>

It is against the law for anyone to open another person's mail - even if it was delivered to their house. I had an expensive coin go to the wrong address, the people signed for it and opened it. It had my name and my real address on the package but was delivered to an address two miles away - same house number but not even remotely the same street name. Four days later they brought it by after I had contacted the seller saying I had not gotten the package and him arguing that I had signed for it. The postman was a temp who had previously given me mail for those people two miles away (which I delivered to them the same day). I do not consider it a bad problem because I know that the Post Office is the one who will have to pay. The person who opens or keeps mail that is not their's could be prosecuted.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file