Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1915 MPL Diagnostics

robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

“After studying the PCGS population reports it shows me that in BN and RB the 1915 is as tough a coin as the 1916. Only in RD is the 1916 tougher. Mintages show the coins are about equal. I have handled more 1916's than the 1915. The 1915 looking like this is a true rarity.” Brian Wagner

Mintage: 1150. Making the 1915 the third lowest in the series, behind the 1916’s 1050 and the 1909 VDB’s 420.

Die polish lines at IN,

GOD

AND TRUST.

There is also a/some die polish line(s) below R in LIBERTY. I thought it was interesting that while I did find what appeared to be below the R on my 1915, it isn’t in the same location as the one illustrated in Leonard Albrecht’s “Matte Proof Lincoln Cents 1909-1917”.

If anyone has their own illustration of this marker, please post it.

The problem with the diagnostics of the 1915 is that some of the die polish might be from the master die. That being the case, similar die polish would more than likely be seen on business strikes as well.

Thanks to “Matte Proof Lincoln Cents 1909-1917” by Leonard Albrecht’s and Brian Wagner

Comments

• Options
    ahooka454ahooka454 Posts: 3,466
    image Those are pretty clear diagnostics. Thanks for that great info packed post.

<<Thanks to “Matte Proof Lincoln Cents 1909-1917” by Leonard Albrecht’s and Brian Wagner>>

Whats this?

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>If anyone has their own illustration of this marker, please post it. >>

Tough to see anything with all the toning?

• Options
    I wonder what that entire coin looks like??? Looks like it could be a nice one???
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>I wonder what that entire coin looks like??? Looks like it could be a nice one??? >>

Another beautiful coin I sold. Stupid me.

• Options
    WOW, Lee that thing is amazing!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file