Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

advice on collecting

Good evening, everyone;

I have begun to endulge my desire on collecting coins, and if you can offer any tips on what to look for, I would appreciate it.

I've decided that I want to collect the American gold eagles, starting with the $5, then moving up to the $10, and so forth.
Being new to coin collecting i know that I need to read up on the various grades, ratings, so forth, but there are so many out there it is kind of confusing.
Based on what I've read, PCGS is the household 'royalty' if you will when it comes to grading, and then NGC.

I know it is up to the collector, so i have chosen my preference as 'proof' coins.

Tips on where to look for deals, good/competative pricing?
Besides checking whether its been graded, what is next on the list if you will when examining a coin, specifically this one?

Is there one 'Holy Grail' whether it be year or mistake, or uniqueness I can set my sights on?

just want some input, as I feel I am allover the place, from e-bay to the local coin shop, and I dont want to fall into any mistakes.

Thanks in advance

Nick

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just take your time and do your research. Check the prices at your local coin shop and compare them
    to ebay or wherever else you can find them. Since these are not circulating coins, per se, then be sure
    that bullion is what you want to collect. All of the specimens you find will be uncirculated or proof. Just
    take your time. Good luck!
    bob
    PS: WELCOME!
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't offer to much tips cause it sounds like you know what you want, but if I were starting out I would be buyng nice foreign crowns and gold.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

<< <i>Based on what I've read, PCGS is the household 'royalty' if you will when it comes to grading, and then NGC. >>

Pick up some kool aid on the way home...
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat you are in. It just takes time to feel things out as far as if you are getting a good deal or not. If you have any kind of collecting exp then it will help. If you have any coins that you have bought and have questions about them then hook us up with a picture and these guys are great at letting you know if you got a deal or not. As soon as i can I will be posting a picture of a NGC ms70 2007 early release $5 gold eagle I have recently picked up that i believe is a rotated die and I will be needing advice on it from these guys. Oh yeah welcome to the club.
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy grail in the AGE series? I suppose the 1999w $5, and $10 uncirculated coins made with unpolished dies are the keys to the series. They can still be picked up fairly cheap.
    Good luck

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file