Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Seated Half Dime Errors 1837-1873 (Survey)

Hello Everyone,

I'm working on the big task of cataloging the known errors per date/mintmark for the Seated Half Dime Series' struck between 1837-1873. The reason I'm doing this is that I would like to incorporate this information in a future article about Seated Half Dimes. I found out that not much is written in literature about any of these errors known for the series, so I started the job myself. Because I do not own any right now (I would be glad to finish the Date set in a few years) I need your help.

Right now, I'm checking on the internet, in Heritage's archives and some auction catalogs for any apperarences of these errors. As you might guess, that will be hardly be enough to compile a reasonable and fairly accurate list.

So, if you have any seated half dime errors or know of other collectors who have them, please contact me with the following information:

-Date/Mintmark of coin
-Type of error (I.E. Broadstruck/off-center/strike-trough) as detailed as possible
-Grade
-In case of a graded coin, I welcome the cert. number, but this is not necessary
-If possible a picture

All people who sent in any information about their seated half dime error's will be bodly noted in the article. Also, if you know of any old auctions where seated half dime errors were sold, I welcome that information too. In case you own or know about any blank planchets, type I or II, that information is also welcome.

Many thanks to all in advance,

Dennis Hengeveld
eagle88@gmail.com">qeagle88@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    Good Luck in your numismatic endeavor...

Take Care
    Ben
    100% DAV, Been There and Done That!
    166 BHDs & 154 Die Varieties & Die States...
    Bust Half Nut Club #180

Festivus Yes! Bagels No!
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Byers Museum is a good place to start.

The page can take a long, long time to load, but it's worth the wait.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    If you haven't already, you might want to send a PM to MrHalfDime and visit the Seated Half Dime forum here.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Byers Museum is a good place to start.

The page can take a long, long time to load, but it's worth the wait. >>

Thanks, I will check that out and will contact him also to see if he knows of any examples.

I hope to have at least some results within 3 months. Now, as I seem to get an error message when I try to edit my first post, here is the correct e-mail:

qeagle88@gmail.com

Dennis

PS and nevermind the grammar errors in the first postimage
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest sending PM's to MrHalfDime, Barndog, and Cladiator.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great project, Dennis. BTW, if you come across twenty-cent errors, please let me know.

Consider a conversation with Fred Weinberg (he is on the Board). He has been in the error business for decades, has a great memory, and is very helpful (and a great guy!).

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This si the closest thing I have. Don't know if this is what you are looking for.
    Really not sure what happened to this coin, I thought it occured during striking and PCGS agreed with me. the cartwheel luster
    is unbroken through the strike thru area, Any ideas what may have cuased this

imageimage

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM sent.
  • Options
    Thanks for the images and information. I think that 1837 had some piece, whatever what in the collar at the time it was struck.

It is registered, thanksimage

Dennis

PS Anyone know why I can't edit my first post? Got some strange errorimage
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent, a reason to pull out the clipped type set. I know I have a couple of clips, and I probably know the location of a few more, I'll see what I can come up with for you.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>for seanq >>

Thanks! image

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    post to the seated boards, half dime section or pm me.
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    TTT

Looking to publish first results in the last issue of the E-Gobrecht (accessible for everyone) within 2 months.

Dennis
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a 1857-O in a teletrade auction I'll go try to find it.

Couldn't find it so it may have been pulled or didn't sell.

It was previously with DLRC and formally of the Ohio Error Collection dipped white small uncentered broadstruck in a NGC MS62 holder... teletrade showed it reslabbed in a new type holder with the 4 prongs.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Here's what I've found so far for clips, these are all in my collection now.

1849 VF, 3% clip at K-6
    1850 cleaned/retoned XF, minor disc clip at K-10:30
    1853 w/Arrows VG, 2% straight clip at K-1
    1856 choice XF, 5% clip K-8

I'll have the camera out in the next couple of nights and I'll try to add some pictures for you.

I also have a friend who has a very large clipped type collection, and as of two years ago here is the "have list" he gave me:

1856, 1857, 1857-O (I'm 99% sure I traded him this coin), 1871, 1873.

I have not seen these but I'm certain he has verified they are genuine errors.

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    Bumping this because last night I found another 1850 clipped half dime, this one was about 5% at K-7. I still owe you a bunch of pictures.

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    Thanks Sean, will add it to the listing. What's the approximate grade?

The December issue of the E-Gobrecht will feature a short update on this projectimage

Dennis
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭
    Check out the Heritage preview.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file