Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Switching coins inside slabs

blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
A while back I bought a common MS65 Morgan off EBAY. The seller had a buy it now for way to low ( I think he listed a 64 price instead of a 65) I paid, he sent it, left feedback and never said a word about the price.

When I showed it to my local B & M shop he seemed to question whether or not someone had broken the slab and changed the coin. The coin is great looking I think closer to an upgrade than a downgrade so I dont see that being the possibility at all.

My question is can people really do that? I am sure they can but how common is it? If someone were to try that would it be very obvious? I have never worried about that when buying a coin. My experience on the coin above really doesnt matter, just giving some background for the question.
http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Assuming it's a top tier slab, your local shop is full of crap.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    Never heard of someone taking a coin inside a slab and replacing it with another one without breaking the slab.
  • Options
    a039a039 Posts: 1,546

<< <i>A while back I bought a common MS65 Morgan off EBAY. The seller had a buy it now for way to low ( I think he listed a 64 price instead of a 65) I paid, he sent it, left feedback and never said a word about the price.

When I showed it to my local B & M shop he seemed to question whether or not someone had broken the slab and changed the coin. The coin is great looking I think closer to an upgrade than a downgrade so I dont see that being the possibility at all.

My question is can people really do that? I am sure they can but how common is it? If someone were to try that would it be very obvious? I have never worried about that when buying a coin. My experience on the coin above really doesnt matter, just giving some background for the question. >>

IF the coin is in a PCGS holder:

99% Chance the dealer disagrees with the grade

1% Chance the coin was switched

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which TPG and what generation holder?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Never heard of someone taking a coin inside a slab and replacing it with another one without breaking the slab. >>

Unless Houdini is back in town.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Possible with a newer anacs holder, would be pretty rough with PCGS or NGC.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    If it is a segs slab I would have to say it was impossible.
  • Options
    Sounds like typical local dealer BS. Some will say anything to scare a person into doing business with them. I hope the dealer doesn't believe his/her own BS, and is just making up fairy tales for fun and profit.

Of the major companies, only the new blue ANACS slabs have a high probability of coin switching, and they supposedly fixed the problem after a couple of months. In any case, a MS65 Morgan in an ANACS holder usually won't bring full MS65 money at true auction, or on the wholesale market, so be careful.

There have been isolated reports of counterfeit plastic. For now the problem is isolated and contained. Only two fake slabs have been confirmed, one new ANACS problem slab in the white holder, one NGC slab. However, in coming years, I expect counterfeit plastic, with counterfeit coins or lower grade real coins, may become a huge problem for the Ebay coin market.
  • Options
    Sorry it is a PCGS slab, forgot to mention that.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    "Sounds like typical local dealer BS. Some will say anything to scare a person into doing business with them. I hope the dealer doesn't believe his/her own BS, and is just making up fairy tales for fun and profit."

ditto

I do not believe this could happen with a PCGC coin, least of all a low cost coin...if someone was that good, they'd be working mega dollar coins...image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options

<< <i>Which TPG and what generation holder? >>

PCGS rattler, it is a 1899-O so common but a rather matte looking coin with a nice die crack. I think it is a great looking coin. Still common and nothing special but a nice peice.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post a pic, if possible, so we may dismiss the faint possibility that it is really an overgraded coin. Sounds like typical BS from a dealer who says everything he sees is low-end. Yeah, sure, I bet he grades more conservatively than PCGS does. That's the norm with most small coin shops (sarcasm detected). You'll be surprised how quickly it turns into a "PQ 65+++" and is priced at 2X Trends after you sell it to the guy.
  • Options
    Let me guess....

He followed up his statement of switching the coin with a very low price to buy it from you. image
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options
    Nice looking 65
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
  • Options
    Just shot a cople pics but dont really have time to crop them, sorry. Let me know anymore thoughts. I think he was just mad at the price I got and couldnt accept the fact I got such a deal.

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Dealer was probably eventually hoping you'd ask him to take that inferior coin off your hands and he would have made you a nice low offer...maybe not but some BandM dealers play different versions of that game all day long.
  • Options
    How did my response show up before your photo?? Made it after I saw the slab??? Your post says 1120, mine says 1119??? TWILIGHT ZONE!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>How did my response show up before your photo?? Made it after I saw the slab??? Your post says 1120, mine says 1119??? TWILIGHT ZONE!!!! >>

That has been happening a lot lately...
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin looks much better than a 65. I would be a little wary of your local B&M.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sour grapes on the part of your local dealer. Be carefull if you pan on buying anything in the future from him, my guess is he has you fitted up with a target. BTW that is a very nice coin solid 66 could very easy go 67.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

<< <i>Sour grapes on the part of your local dealer. Be carefull if you pan on buying anything in the future from him, my guess is he has you fitted up with a target. BTW that is a very nice coin solid 66 could very easy go 67.

Chris >>

a 67 for my humble collection? Please, go on.... I think we have confirmed it was a good buy for $69
  • Options
    Now thats a PQMorgan...
    Missing My Life -PSA-Please Watch- 30 seconds could help someone you know

"If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around to hear it. Am I still wrong?"
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That dealer crazy, that coin is smokin!!

It looks 66 based on your photo!!
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a 66. Obviously your local dealer is full of crap.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    It is impossible to remove and switch a coin inside a PCGS holder without damaging the holder. The coin and holder look fine.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    I have certainly seen more contact marks on most ms 66 Morgans. The dealer that told you it was swapped is fos. Dave W

David J Weygant Rare Coins website: www.djwcoin.com
    dalias13@hotmail.com
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a friend who showed me a perfect PCGS rattler holder that came apart perfectly. I put it together and apart repeatedly. It was an interesting and fun thing to do. My friend started to worry about me when I couldn't stop playing with his slab!!!

It does not happen often but it IS possible.

blu62vette: In your case, that could not have happened. Lovely coin indeed vand very extremely high end for the grade.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Your dealer was looking for a way to avoid loosing your business and justifying his prices.

P.S. Nice coin! If it had a little more hair detail over the ear it would be a 66.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    I doubt it
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    Great looking coin. You're getting dangerously close to a "You Suck"

• Options
    Stay clear of that dealer.....as others have stated, THAT MORGAN ROCKS!!!

Leave it in the rattler and just drool over it occasionaly.......heck, that wouldn't grade less than a 65 if a blind grader got ahold of it!!!!
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    I don't have any thoughts of breaking this one open, it will stay in the rattler. I have a few rattlers that I like and might go higher but they just look nice in the holder. I kind of forgot how nice this coin is....thanks for all the comments.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    PQ coin. Very nice. It should definitely sticker.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And some dealers wonder why they lose customers?
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin, bad dealer. The older ANACS slabs can be opened cleanly sometimes. Stand them up on a concrete floor and a "light whack" with a hammer sometimes pops the seam all the way around the slab.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How did my response show up before your photo?? Made it after I saw the slab??? Your post says 1120, mine says 1119??? TWILIGHT ZONE!!!! >>

I posted a new topic yesterday and someone managed to reply to the topic which ended up being the second post instead of the first.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I have never seen a coin switch in a PCGS slab. I have in NGC where they do a fine cut around the middle and glue it back together. There are also counterfeit PCGS rattler holders.
  • Options
    This one is a rattler but the seams look great.
  • Options

<< <i>Coin looks much better than a 65. I would be a little wary of your local B&M. >>

I'd be more than wary. I'd never set foot in that shop again, unless the OP desperately needs supplies (not coins).

The guy is dishonest and he deseves no patronage in my book. If I treated ANY customer like that I'd deserve to lose them all.

Ira
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • Options
    oxy8890oxy8890 Posts: 1,416
    Your dealer is correct this coin was switched!image

Someone took out a 65 and put in a 67!image

All kidding aside, it is impossible to remove that coin from it's holder without destroying the holder (as many others have said).

That is a great looking coin for the grade in an obviously untampered with holder.

Great score!image
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>A while back I bought a common MS65 Morgan off EBAY. The seller had a buy it now for way to low ( I think he listed a 64 price instead of a 65) I paid, he sent it, left feedback and never said a word about the price.

My question is can people really do that? I am sure they can but how common is it? If someone were to try that would it be very obvious? I have never worried about that when buying a coin. My experience on the coin above really doesnt matter, just giving some background for the question. >>

IF the coin is in a PCGS holder:

99% Chance the dealer disagrees with the grade

1% Chance the coin was switched >>

"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options

<< <i>Post a pic, if possible, so we may dismiss the faint possibility that it is really an overgraded coin. Sounds like typical BS from a dealer who says everything he sees is low-end. Yeah, sure, I bet he grades more conservatively than PCGS does. That's the norm with most small coin shops (sarcasm detected). You'll be surprised how quickly it turns into a "PQ 65+++" and is priced at 2X Trends after you sell it to the guy. >>

absotuvely!
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options

<< <i>Just shot a cople pics but dont really have time to crop them, sorry. Let me know anymore thoughts. I think he was just mad at the price I got and couldnt accept the fact I got such a deal.

image >>

looks like a fair shot at a 66 jmo.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your local dealer has bifurcated coin & slab grading syndrome.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i wonder why coin dealers get these stereotypes and i bet he
    is an ANA member? can the original poster find out for me? and you
    might as well tell us what store so marty can go cherry pick his
    inventory.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Holy cow! If your images are accurate, this coin is AT LEAST 65!

If your B&M dealer doesn't think these coins were graded accurately, he's either dishonest or incompetent. Either way, I'd stop visiting his shop.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cracked out this coin a couple of months ago and the slab opened up pretty clean.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file