Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Welcome a new young collector, my daughter

My 5 year old daughter has decided to collect dimes and quarters. She has been asking me about what I was doing with all the money the last 2 days, so I explained it to her. She wanted to collect some coins also, and ran into her room and came out shaking her pig (piggy bank), and said "Daddy daddy, I have coins to!". I think went and grabbed a proof set to show her all the different coins, and she choose the dime first, and I said she could collect others if she wanted, and she picked the quarters next.

So, daddy is off to the coin shop to get a couple albums so the newest collector can go through her rolls now also.

The wife couldn't just stand back either, and has picked up on her penny collection again also.

So, the whole family collects now. =)

Comments

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    That is really great. I love putting state quarters into the Whitman books with the kids, and we hope to get to the bank this weekend to add the Adams dollar to the book as well.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Welcome 'lil sister. How you?
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    That's great, I hope you all have a lot of enjoyment with all your collecting. image

I've had a different experience lately. My daughter just did an "about face" on her state quarters, and wanted to cash them in at the bank so she could buy another game for her Nintendo DS! 13yo, I guess she has other priorities right now. I bought her the game and held on to the quarters, even though it's not an area I'm collecting at the moment.
    Exclusively collecting Capped Bust Halves in VF to AU, especially rarity 3 and up.
    Joe G.
    Great BST purchases completed with commoncents123, p8nt, blu62vette and Stuart. Great coin swaps completed with rah1959, eyoung429 and Zug. Top-notch consignment experience with Russ.
  • Options
    MoonbiterMoonbiter Posts: 652 ✭✭
    My daughter saves her money and doesn't really spend. When she really wants something, more times then not she won't buy it because it means spending her money. At the rate her grandparents give her money, and the way she hordes it, her savings account is going to be bigger then mine!image

Daddy however is going to start a presidential dollar collection for her. I've been teaching here the presidents and she enjoys it, so I think the presidential dollar collection will be great for her also.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Very image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    Great. My 7 year old daughter loves coins, and I give her some out of every collection. I try to pick coins that will increase in value rather than coins just to put in albums. However, I don't always win this battle. LOL
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    That's excellent.

You can probably talk your dealer into letting her sort the silver buckets, or, buy a bunch of silver and then exchange it for other silver for a small charge.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
    Becky
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome little woman. May I address you as the NEW MISS MATIST
    Thank you for sharing Moonbiter. Coins are really neat.
    I'm glad another young person likes them.
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭

That is very cool.

-------------

etexmike
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First you, then your daughter, then your wife.................it's the domino effect! cool!

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    That's a great story. You may want to hide the gold coins for a while!!!!!image
  • Options
    she should have fun and with your knowledge she may become a seriouse collecter good luck to you all
  • Options
    21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    PM me with your address & I will get a coin in the mail for her. I have 4 grandchildren that I put a treasure chest for. My granddaughter is 4 and what a gas she is..........Rick
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • Options
    MoonbiterMoonbiter Posts: 652 ✭✭
    Thanks everyone. I'll get the newest MISS MATIST to type a bit tomorrow on this thread.

21Walker, PM sent. That is very nice of you to offer that.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Man, that's awesome. My little girl is 20 months. She likes to look at coins in slabs. ...She doesnt spend coins yet but she's gotten really good at handing the credit card to the check-out clerks....... ut oh....

-David
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file