Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can I get your opinons on Joel Rettew (California Dealer)

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
A close friend of mine has asked me about a dealer out in his neck of the woods. I think he is a top notch dealer but I would like any info you are willing to share. I for some reason think I may have purchased from him in the past, but I just don't remember.

If you don't want to make your comments public, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks in advance.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Both Joel Rettew and his son Joel Rettew Jr. are coin dealers operating independent of each other, so who in particular are you inquiring about?
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do an advanced search on "Rettew" as he has been discussed here before.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>Both Joel Rettew and his son Joel Rettew Jr. are coin dealers operating independent of each other, so who in particular are you inquiring about? >>

Sr.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options

<< <i>Do an advanced search on "Rettew" as he has been discussed here before.

roadrunner >>

I did an advance search all the comments are old. I think the newest one is 2002.

• Options
    IRCWCoinsIRCWCoins Posts: 895 ✭✭
    Here's a thread that should give you the information you're looking for. Joel Rettew
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Comments from 2002 would certainly be applicable today. Current or previous membership in coin organizations is by no means the only criteria in evaluating a dealer. The ONLY organization that has any teeth and criteria to enter is the PNG. But nothing is fool proof.

David Hall worked for Rettew in the 1970's. I can still recall getting those flashy (for the time) Rettew catalogs such as the Great Eastern Collection (included many then finest known seated dime rarities).

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    I have purchased from him a few times. I guess it depends on what you are buying and what your expectations are. The first couple purchases where proof sets and mint sets and the last where some PCGS modern proofs in PF69DCAM. No problems what so ever. My expectations where I would get what I ordered. I did, and pretty fast. I can’t complain about that.

As far as the Spam goes, I have certainly gotten my share from him. Both before I ordered anything and since.
    - There are 10 kinds of people in this world...those who understand binary and those who don't!
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran into him at a show a few years ago and he had an 1854-O quarter marked "VG, $200". I figured the only way an 1854-O quarter in VG was worth $200 is if it was a Huge O, so I asked to see it. It was not a Huge O. Even today, an 1854-O quarter that isn't a Huge O trends at $50. Would any dealer with integrity sell a regular 1854-O quarter in VG for $200? Can you say "rip-off"? image

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't buy from him. That's my opinion.
  • Options
    I bought a 2005 PCGS MS70 Silver Eagle from him a few years ago. It was a presale he had a bin of 5 on ebay. Guess what PCGS did not give any out, the deal turned ugly quick. Enough said.
  • Options
    There's several web sites for him (them). One is Fast Coin. I was under the impression that SR. was no longer dealing in coins. And I've seen one of them's..sic...name appear in the ANA mag from time to time.

Jerry
  • Options
    I have known Joel Rettew for over 40 years, and was his partner back in the late 1960's. He is a dedicated numismatist and an ethical dealer and it was my pleasure to award him the ANA Presidential award in August 2008, at the ANA convention in Baltimore. Joel and Barbara have been very active in helping the ANA increase membership and encourage the ANA to provide more member benefits. I'm proud to call Joel Rettew my friend.

Barry Stuppler
    President,
    American Numismatic Association
    As a member of the PNG, ICTA and CCBMA, I've been a professional in the
    coin community for over 40 years. I
    specialize in high grade US Gold and
    silver certified coins, from PCGS and
    NGC only. I also publish coinmag.com, a online rare coin and precious metals e-zine, great information and current
    articles on collecting and investing.

with current
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Geeze Barry!!

You joined the forum in February 2003 and this is the first thing
    you have thought important enough to post about??

Welcome to the forum!!

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Welcome to the boards Barry
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will only buy from the 2.7 dealers who get the Realone Seal of Approval™. image
  • Options
    congrats on your first post Barryimage

steve

myCCset
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't he FastCoin on here and eBay?
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Yes Barry but would you buy from him?

Oh and welcome to the boards.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I second that RYK!!

Dealers that sell a 70 before it is made, does not sound to ethical to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    Sometimes dealers have a very different perspective on other dealers than we as collectors do.

And thanks for the welcome, but I've been around here a while image

We use to have this "problem" in late 90s and early 00s on rec.collecting.coins when both Barry S. and I were active participants there.

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have known Joel Rettew for over 40 years, and was his partner back in the late 1960's. He is a dedicated numismatist and an ethical dealer and it was my pleasure to award him the ANA Presidential award in August 2008, at the ANA convention in Baltimore. Joel and Barbara have been very active in helping the ANA increase membership and encourage the ANA to provide more member benefits. I'm proud to call Joel Rettew my friend.

Barry Stuppler
    President,
    American Numismatic Association >>

Welcome to the boards Barry!

I'm guessing that your positive comments are about Joel Sr?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Wow, Barry, I'm honored to have you reply to my post with your first entry!

<< <i>I have known Joel Rettew for over 40 years, and was his partner back in the late 1960's. He is a dedicated numismatist and an ethical dealer and it was my pleasure to award him the ANA Presidential award in August 2008, at the ANA convention in Baltimore. Joel and Barbara have been very active in helping the ANA increase membership and encourage the ANA to provide more member benefits. I'm proud to call Joel Rettew my friend.

Barry Stuppler
    President,

• Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭

Barry Stuppler
    President,

Barry, welcome to the boards! I'm thankful the work you do.
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sometimes dealers have a very different perspective on other dealers than we as collectors do.

And thanks for the welcome, but I've been around here a while image

We use to have this "problem" in late 90s and early 00s on rec.collecting.coins when both Barry S. and I were active participants there. >>

Barry, we are going to have to start referring to you as "the other Barry" or maybe you should just change your name completely. image
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey BarryS. , image
  • Options

Barry Stuppler
    President,

Here is my opinion regarding Joel Rettew (Sr).

During the summer of 1995 or 1996 (I can't remember which), I had a sudden urge to start collecting coins. Don't ask me why, but all of a sudden, I had this urge. So I found Mr. Rettew in the Yellow Pages. I telephoned him and asked what his hours were. He answered, and I went to his store the following day. I purchased a small proof 1/10 oz gold eagle (which I actually still have, or at least I think I do), as well as a Red Book. Mr. Rettew also noted his name in the Red Book.

Thereafter, I continously visited his store, approximately once a month or so. For the next few years, I continually bought coins from him. Started off with the simple items like common date Morgans in MS63, then worked my way to the expensive stuff like 3-legged buffalo nickels and other key date items. For some reason, I only bought certified coins from him, although I did buy some raw currency at low prices (under $100).

In any case, there came a time when Mr. Rettew closed his store. Before he closed his store, he introduced me to Mr. Rettew Jr. At first, Mr. Rettew Jr. and I got along fairly well. After Sr. closed his store, I dealt with Jr. for a few months in Jr's smaller store. But it really never was the same again. Mr. Rettew Sr. had a really nice big store which really made me feel welcome, whereas I never got that same feeling with Jr. (although Jr. was nice).

Professionally speaking, I find Mr. Rettew Sr. to have been of the utmost professional when I dealt with him. However, I had some "interesting" dealings with Jr., of which I will not discuss here.

• Options

<< <i>Comments from 2002 would certainly be applicable today. Current or previous membership in coin organizations is by no means the only criteria in evaluating a dealer. The ONLY organization that has any teeth and criteria to enter is the PNG. But nothing is fool proof.

David Hall worked for Rettew in the 1970's. I can still recall getting those flashy (for the time) Rettew catalogs such as the Great Eastern Collection (included many then finest known seated dime rarities).

roadrunner >>

ask Fletcher if that would be true. Darin5 ring a bell? A 6 yo critique....LoL

PS I know this thread started over a year ago. And no offense to THIS dealer, either.
    imageDo not taunt Happy Fun Ball image
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought one coin from Fast Coins a few years ago and the whole premise of Fast Coins was to emphasize cheap prices.

The quality of the coins were, as expected, substandard for the PCGS slabbed grade.

Commercial quality grading at best. I had perused other collectors purchases from them after mine and it was more of the same. I was quite disappointed.

I will not buy from them again.

Just my own honest opinion.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

<< <i>Barry, we are going to have to start referring to you as "the other Barry" or maybe you should just change your name completely. image >>

I was here first, so he can be the "other Barry."

It's a moot point if he continues making one post every 6 years. image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I get your opinons on Joel Rettew (California Dealer)

Opinions are like ______________
    expressing them makes me feel like one.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

And thanks for the welcome, but I've been around here a while

NS, I was welcoming Barry Stuppler.

Steve
    Good for you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights