Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is it safe to keep coins in the old David Hall (pre-PCGS) holders?

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
I recently received a Buffalo Nickel "slabbed" in one of the old David Hall holders. I think the holders are cool because the were a pre-cursor to the PCGS holders in that David Hall used the PCGS numbering system.

My concern is that the flip to the David Hall holder is the "soft" type that likely has PVC. However, the coin inside is encapsulated in one of those clear "cointain" type capsules, so the coin may be protected from PVC damage in the soft flip. However, I do not know if the capsule itself has PVC (it probably does not).

Has anyone heard of PVC damage from these old holders? Any input would be appreciated. Here are pics of the coin:

imageimage

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Is that the excessively rare 1937 Gold Buffalo? image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    theumptheump Posts: 634 ✭✭
    I would cherish that coin the way I would a NGC black holder. I would think that type of holder has tremendous value.
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would cherish that coin the way I would a NGC black holder. I would think that type of holder has tremendous value. >>

Not quite.
  • Options
    Really? They aren't that rare? I have never seen one of those before. Granted, I have never looked either.
  • Options

<< <i>Is that the excessively rare 1937 Gold Buffalo? image >>

Yes, it's true . . . . . Hall was a step ahead of Littleton in offering cheesy gold-plated coins! image
  • Options
    What about regular coins in a David Hall holder?
  • Options

<< <i>What about regular coins in a David Hall holder? >>

I was kidding. Bad white balance on the photo makes the nickel look "gold".
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i><< I would cherish that coin the way I would a NGC black holder. I would think that type of holder has tremendous value. >>

Not quite. >>

I too would think these have some value above and beyond the coin inside albeit no where near what an NGC black slab brings.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    I think those holders probably contained PVC and I would recommend removing them and puting them into the PVC-free 2x2's, keeping the DH insert, of course.

The other thing that you can consider is having them encapsulated by PCGS. I am sure that they will be happy to accept these.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
    I ran the cert. verification on 30003756 and it came up as a 1924 Saint in MS63image
    Mark
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the coin is in a Kointain, it will be safe even if inside a PVC flip.

However, there was a knockoff brand called American coin holders, which I do not know is safe or not. Ask Mr. Hall if he used Kointains or American brand coin shells.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Tom is correct. I did not see the cointain.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    You should have David sign it.
  • Options
    They type of holder a coin is in should have no affect on value, as all the value is the coin, not the holder it's in. Now if you think a certain holder has some value then it wouldn't matter if there was a coin in it or not.
    Bob
  • Options

<< <i>Tom is correct. I did not see the cointain. >>

Yes, it is in a cointain. The coin itself has no evidence of PVC damage, so I suspect the cointain is protecting the coin sufficiently. But if anyone has had or heard of coins being damaged by PVC in these holders, I would like to know. I will keep it intact for now.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This would be a great question for the Q & A Forum image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Here is MrsSpud's one. It is in a Kointain too
  • Options
    Since we aren't alking about rarities here, I would keep them in these "holders" for the historical aspect of TPG history. If they haven't dispalyed any PVC damage by now, they probably are safe.

Garrow
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They type of holder a coin is in should have no affect on value, as all the value is the coin, not the holder it's in. Now if you think a certain holder has some value then it wouldn't matter if there was a coin in it or not. >>

So true. Glad that you didn't drink the Koolaide. image
  • Options
    All the DH flipped/sealed coins I used to have were Kointains, not the cheap knock-offs. You can tell the difference, real Kointains are convex. The imitations are flat.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    The American Tite-fit knockoffs were much cheaper and seemed to me to be just as good protecting my coins over the decades .
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some really nice MS65's there almost look a little higher today.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file