Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1974 Aluminum Cent pictures

I'm a fan of the 1974 Aluminum cent and here are some pictures for fellow fans to admire. Never seen some of these posted here before so wanted to share.

The best picture of the famed 1974 Aluminum that I've ever seen! Got it from the Smithsonian's web site before they pulled it.

imageimage

The same coin but a slightly different picture. Notice the lint above the "4" in the date.

imageimage

The same coin but with a bad "mug shot". This makes the coin look ugly.

All of these are the same coin.

From these pictures, the 1974 looks proof-like with moderate starburst in the fields. The strike is not as sharp as expected and is not full in the lower rim of the obverse. You can see planchet striations in the fields.

I just love this coin.

Rob

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would have made a lot of sense to switch to aluminum in '75
    and discontinued the coin altogether in the mid-'80's.

Aluminun is really a great coinage material for extremely low val-
    ue coins. It's also a "fun" metal for collectors since collecting
    these is a little different than any other metal. Aluminum coins
    are almost more a commodity being used up quickly than other
    metals. It's almost non-toxic and degrades rapidly.

The '74 design was recut to suit coining aluminum so the copper
    cents exist in two versions. The small date is less common and
    doesn't appear in mint sets. Both versions were made at all three
    mints.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    I have a friend that swears his Grandfather has one.

Turns out his Grandaddy was running the Alcoa Alum. factory during the time of their mintage...

It is possible I suppose...but I sure would like to see.

• Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Aluminum could make cents profitable to produce, but I don't think it's worth it. The 1974 Al cent weighs only 0.93g, compared to the already lightweight 2.5g Zincolns and the 3.1g copper cents. If any kind of coin would feel worthless, it'd be an aluminum one.

That said, the 1974 Al cent is an exceedingly cool pattern. Aside from the Toven specimen and apparently ddbird's friend's grandfather's, I wonder how many of them are "in the wild".
  • Options
    I personally took this picture!

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,913 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I personally took this picture!

image >>

As an FBI agent your pics are noted and recorded.image
  • Options
    CaptainRonCaptainRon Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Thanks for posting the pics.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat pictures, guys! Thanks for posting them! image

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    I remember those when I was a kid, and that there were supposedly several examples never accounted for that had been distributed to members of Congress and other gov't officials. Since I was in the DC area, you bet I combed thru change every chance I got to see if I could find one. (But of course I never did image )
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I am pretty envious of the members here who had the once-in-a-lifetime chance to personally examine one of those aluminum cents. I well remember the day that thread was posted!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It would have made a lot of sense to switch to aluminum in '75
    and discontinued the coin altogether in the mid-'80's.

Aluminun is really a great coinage material for extremely low val-
    ue coins. It's also a "fun" metal for collectors since collecting
    these is a little different than any other metal. Aluminum coins
    are almost more a commodity being used up quickly than other
    metals. It's almost non-toxic and degrades rapidly. >>

I agree that switching to aluminum would've made a lot of sense and I think the result would have been more pleasant than the copper-coated zinc cents we have today. Lighter to carry around, too.

I don't know if I agree that the cent should've been discontinued in the mid-'80s. I suppose that might've made sense, too, but having the cent as our fractional currency unit, it would seem strange to not have one-cent coins and to have the smallest denomination be the five-cent piece.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Very nice picturesimage. Maybe someone can post pictures of the ICG coin>

Dennis
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1974 Aluminum Cent is no longer in an ICG Holder.

It's now in a PCGS holder - and I had the great fun of
    examining it RAW !!

It was PC'd about two years ago, maybe a bit less.

Fred
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    They are pretty neat looking. I just don't understand our Mint not looking into producing Cents made with a mixture of Aluminum and other less costly materials. Part of the extreme cost of production of our current Cent is the necessity of Copper coating the thing. If they would just ignore the Copper coating, go with Aluminum and Zinc or Tin or Nickel or even Iron, the cost would be greatly reduced and who cares if it is not Copper colored.
    Carl
  • Options
    The thought behind the copper plating was twofold. one so that the general public would not realize the composition change had been made and start hoarding the copper cents, and two to prevent confusion of the cent and the dime. (As happened in 1943.)
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zinc is a highly reactive metal. Without the copper they'd look even worse than the
    mess we have in circulation now. The cost of the copper plating is minimal. The price
    of zinc was recently high enough that a penny had more than one cents worth of zinc
    in it.

Even if the zinc were free (ask Al Gore if it's free), it would probably be cost prohibitive
    to coin a one cent piece in zinc. Even if the cents were provided to the government
    free of charge, the costs of counting, handling and shipping the one cent piece is greater
    than their value.

Inflation has destroyed this coin and it's still being produced because of special interests
    and inertia.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file