Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Catalogue Desciptions: "Registry Quality"

Could any lot description be more meaningless than one that describes a coin as "registry quality" or "worthy of a top registry set"? What does a description like that say to you?

Comments

• Options
    JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭
    Whenever I see, "Registry Quality," I assume it means the coins are graded MS70 or PR70DCAM.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Stupid money.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Stupid money. >>

What do you mean? If a coin comes back MS69 you might as well throw it in the trash. MS70 is the only way to go! image
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Could any lot description be more meaningless than one that describes a coin as "registry quality" or "worthy of a top registry set"? What does a description like that say to you? >>

It means absolutely nothing to me.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What does a description like that say to you? >>

It says that auction houses recognize reality.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975

<< <i>

It says that auction houses recognize reality. >>

The reality that Mark referred to in his post?
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does a description like that say to you?

It says, "I am playing an exclusive game that you can't play." (Only because I don't play that game.......................)

If I did play that game, I imagine my thought would be, "I am so discriminating that hardly anyone else can appreciate the nuances of what I do, and that is why I am so smart..........."
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does a description like that say to you?

It says that whatever coin they are talking about is not for me.
  • Options

<< <i><< What does a description like that say to you? >>

The reality that Mark referred to in his post? >>

The reality that some of their buyers have registry sets.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    The perfect coin for someone willing to pay 10 times as much as they would pay for a similar coin slabbed as one grade lower.
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭
    "Registry Quality" usually means that I can't afford the coin for my collection.

Probably wouldn't fit in with anything else that I have anyway.

-------------

etexmike
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Registry Quality" means the cataloger is trolling for deep pocketed bidiots.
    "Worthy of a top registry set" also says the cataloger was being paid by the word.
    "Checklist Quality" is more the stuff that I buy.
  • Options

<< <i>"Registry Quality" usually means that I can't afford the coin for my collection. >>

Not so. I'm working on a PCGS AU58 Kennedy short set, and I'm averaging less than $7 a coin. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    I will use "Registry Ready" for VAMs that have already been tagged with the variety. I do agree that there is absolutely no quality distinction to assume when "Registry Quality" is assigned. For classics, it pretty much is the same as the old among the finest known or condition census coin attributions in catalogue or inventory descriptions. Moderns? Just probably means it caught a random 70 on one of the top 2 TPG tags. In either case, it comes off as desperate to me though it probably is not usually.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options

It also says to me that the plastic companies have way too much clout and influence in the hobby.
  • Options

<< <i>Just probably means it caught a random 70 on one of the top 2 TPG tags. >>

There is a lot more to moderns then current issue bullion crap.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    I agree. The real modern coins are kind of in a hybrid area. They are definitely not the crap of Mint direct bullion but they are minted in obscene quantities, meaning nobody can really say the vast majority have been seen by numismatic graders. Many clad dates are surely conditionally rare in high grades as business strikes nonetheless. They are just a different animal.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>

<< <i><< What does a description like that say to you? >>

The reality that Mark referred to in his post? >>

The reality that some of their buyers have registry sets.

Russ, NCNE >>

it is also an "in your face" marketing concept that the big auction houses use to drum up deep pocketed bidders.
  • Options

<< <i>it is also an "in your face" marketing concept that the big auction houses use to drum up deep pocketed bidders. >>

Welcome to Marketing 101.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

It also says to me that the plastic companies have way too much clout and influence in the hobby. >>

[chortle]

It also means that the slab shows the coin with the highest possible grade (no crackout artists need apply).
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Registry Quality" may not be a perfectly descriptive phrase, but it's clear enough that it is meant to be equivalent to other cataloging catchphrases like "worthy of the finest cabinet", "among the finest known" and (my favorite) "a gem of the first water".
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    To me, it usually means that the coin being discussed isn't going to be a good value.... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>"Registry Quality" usually means that I can't afford the coin for my collection. >>

Not so. I'm working on a PCGS AU58 Kennedy short set, and I'm averaging less than $7 a coin. image

Russ, NCNE >>

So Russ, an AU-58 coin would be "Registry Quality" for you then.

So much for the whining and cynicism about overgraded overpriced slabs.

It would be nice to actually have some informative threads instead of all this whining and complaining.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>To me, it usually means that the coin being discussed isn't going to be a good value.... >>

Really? A 1964 PCGS PR69DCAM Kennedy is "registry quality". Three years ago they brought half of what they do today. And, there are plenty more examples that have seen similar upward movement.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't "Registry Quailty" coined by a forum member here? It should have been trademarked! Imagine the royalties image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a PR-70 DCAM 1993-P Silver Eagle if anyone is interested. I dunno if it's Registry Quality or not - depends on you, I guess.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    -- "and (my favorite) 'a gem of the first water.'"

I've never heard that one before. "Water" instead of "order"? Am I missing some literary or religious allusion here? And, by the way, I have a wallet full of appreciation. image
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>-- "and (my favorite) 'a gem of the first water.'"

I've never heard that one before. "Water" instead of "order"? Am I missing some literary or religious allusion here? And, by the way, I have a wallet full of appreciation. image >>

fleur de coin!
  • Options

<< <i>"Registry Quality" may not be a perfectly descriptive phrase, but it's clear enough that it is meant to be equivalent to other cataloging catchphrases like "worthy of the finest cabinet", "among the finest known" and (my favorite) "a gem of the first water". >>

I dunno, Andy. To me, bringing the registry into it indicates a coin that would appeal more to people looking for a specific number in a plastic slab than the finest coin, or people looking for the finest examples in appealing 'collector grades' (meaning the grade at which any numerical bumps will cause exponential rises in price).
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never heard that one before. "Water" instead of "order"?

My understanding is that it is a phrase borrowed from gemology. However, I only learned that today. For the last 30 years, I thought the catalogers were smoking too much weed.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    To me, it usually means that the coin being discussed isn't going to be a good value....
    Really? A 1964 PCGS PR69DCAM Kennedy is "registry quality". Three years ago they brought half of what they do today. And, there are plenty more examples that have seen similar upward movement

I'm sure you can find examples of high graded items increasing in value- that wasn't really my point. I was referring more to "optimal collecting grades", where you get comparable eye appeal without spending multiples for the next grade up...
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options

<< <i>I was referring more to "optimal collecting grades", where you get comparable eye appeal without spending multiples for the next grade up... >>

And, those optimal collecting grades may, or may not, be a good value. The generally accepted definition of "good value" is getting your money's worth. Thus to unilaterally pan - as you did - registry quality coins as not being a good value is fallacious in the face of the evidence that many are, indeed, a good value and may even be a spectacular value.

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file