Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's the biggest financial homerun you have made in numismatics?

fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
Maybe you bought a coin raw and submitted it to a TPGS. Cracked a coin out or crossed a coin over. It doesn't even have to be a coin, it can be anything relating to numismatics.

Lets here some stories.image

Comments

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Easy, a 1962 Frankie I paid $7 for, came back from PCGS a MS66FBL!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

I'm a small fry, so mine "home run" will seem like a "bunt" to many on these boards, but I bought a $10 and $2 1/2 dollar gold piece from a Pawn Shop once for $125 each.

Sold the $10 for $320 last year and still have the $2 1/2..........

AND......Jumped on the 20th ANN. SAE bandwagon early and bought several at the mint's price.....waiting on these to hit $500/set.....which I believe they will and then CASH IN!

wes

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember that Marty. Didn't you buy it for $7 raw, submit it, it came back MS66FBL and you sold it for around $12,000?
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    Sorry I am a rookie.

Bought a 2006 w plat for $1300 slabbed a ms70 value now at $4k yeah wish I would have bought 10

• Options
    Paid $4.50 for a 1966 Kennedy half. Sent it to PCGS. It graded MS67. I sold it for about $2,700.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Ike Purchase: $1.80
    Grading/Shipping Costs: $15
    Grade: MS67
    Value: High
    Result: Proud member of the finest Ike Collection in the World!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I've convinced several different people to give me a check every two weeks just to sit here and screw around with coins. If that ain't a home run, I don't know what is.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought an accumulation of 1982 & 1983 souvenir sets, both the official mint kind & the private company kind, priced at $7 each.
    mirabela
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strangely enough, my biggest short-term percentage gainer was probably a coin book deal.

On ebay, I bought a copy of Kagin's book on Territorial gold for $40 or so. Oh, yeah, in the fine print, the auction also included David Akers complete six volume encyclopedia of US gold coins. I immediately sold five of the six volumes for about $225 total (and kept the sixth and Kagin's book).
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've convinced several different people to give me a check every two weeks just to sit here and screw around with coins. If that ain't a home run, I don't know what is. >>

You win!

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought a small collection of gold coins from a neighbor who was moving. Paid fair prices we both
    thought. Coins were in old scruffed up square plastic holders and looked every bit of average.
    Seller indicated that he got them from a boss as a bonus over a couple of years. Well.....one was
    a 1905 2 1/2 gold dollar... Paid him $190 and he was tickled. Cracked it out and wow it was nice..
    Sent to pcgs and it came back MS65 and put up on ebay and got $2700 for it. Neighbor was pleased,
    I was pleased and the buyer left excellent feedback!
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    A proof set 70 bought for $1500 in 04 and sold it for $5200 this year. 2004 plat proof from U.S. Mint for $720. 10 Rolls various year ASE's bought in 04 have doubled just from bullion alone. I regret not buying a 96 roll when they were going for $600 a roll.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Very telling about the current state of the hobby when most of the home runs involve coins which suddenly became "worth" many times what was paid for them just by putting them in plastic. It's a big part of the reason why I'm becoming more and more disenchanted with, and jaded about, the hobby.
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    "I'm holding some american eagles one ounce at $300 plus juice.
    or approx $320/per ounce. Then of course I have dollar cost averaged all the way up to now so, I have to go figure. Recently, I bought all kinds of MODERN CRAP and made $$$$ every step of the way and without long 3-5 years hold times. In 1989 I bought an MS 65 1878 CC Morgan Dollar at $2250. and saw it rise to retail $5,000.
    Sold it along the way up. maybe $1250 profit in short time. Never had any big big scores just a lot of opporunity, some I never took.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Upgraded an MS62 PCGS 1901-P Morgan to MS63. image
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    2006 W Platinums.....is that numismaticsimage
  • Options
    Bought 23-s merc on ebay for $450, came back MS65FB which is worth around 6k.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Bought an attractive, raw BU 1900-O on eBay for $70, came back from PCGS 1900-O/CC in an MS65 holder.
  • Options
    I know that everybody is going to think I am one of those 'modern crap' collectors, but, after 40 years of collecting, I never made more money on a coin than the one oz platinum eagle purchased from the mint this year. Go figure!
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a nice F+ 1802 half cent off a local bid board for $50 with a very nice planchet. Sold it (like an idiot)image
    for $1000. This coin is now worth over $5000. And now i still need one for my album.image
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭
    A couple of years ago, I went to a local auction that was attended by several area dealers. I wound-up with a $10 Indian for $455 and a 1941-S Walker for $75. Both slabbed as MS65's at PCGS and sold for $4,675 and $1,375 respectively.

More recently, I bought a raw '93-S Morgan for $2,550 at auction and sold it for $3,750. For sure, I've had some tough losses too, but fortunately they are getting more and more infrequent.

By the way, I do pay my taxes on the gains.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Russian proof ruble I bought 6-7 years ago for $75. Invested another $100 in NCS and NGC fees. Sold it for $1,500.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought the Olsen specimen of the 1913 Liberty nickel. A year later, somebody wanted it and made a strong offer. image
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    Gee, Tradedollarnut, sounds not much different from any of my experiences.......image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Bought a group of four proof sets on eBay for $85. Two were 1964 sets with Accented Hair Kennedys. One graded PR65DCAM. The other graded PR68DCAM, and is the last one PCGS graded nearly four years ago.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Biggest percentage gain was a 1925-S Lincoln I purchased from a Bank Note dealer at a coin show for $8. It was weakly struck so he had it graded VF. In truth is was MS63'ish. I sold it on ebay shortly thereafter for ~$230.

Biggest financial gain was a PCGS MS65RB S-VDB picked up on eBay for $1,400. I traded it in another deal several years later for $3,000 in value.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selling my whole collection back in 1988 before everything hit the skids. Pure Luck.

Ken
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought the Olsen specimen of the 1913 Liberty nickel. A year later, somebody wanted it and made a strong offer >>

Big deal, big man. image

During the 70's i bought a so-called roll of AU Morgans for about $114.00. The coins were so BU I sold em all for about $7.00 EACH.

<< <i> I'm a small fry, so my "home run" will seem like a "bunt" to many on these boards, >>

Guess I'm more with guitarwes than the tradedollarnut

• Options
    I have not sold yet but one of the 20th anniversary ASE sets that I bought from the mint graded 70/70/69 at PCGS. I used my 8 free submission coupon to get it graded so my cost was $100 +shippping.
    I want to sell it but I just can't bring myself to do it!!
    It's like hitting the home run ball and not running the bases. I'm standing frozen in disbelief waiting to see if it is just a pop fly ball.
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    My favorite. Bought when I was a kid from a dealers "junk box" for about 25 cents... didn't know what I had until almost 40 years later image

• Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Bought a colonial coin on Ebay for $40 and sold it for $8,250.
  • Options

<< <i>Bought a colonial coin on Ebay for $40 and sold it for $8,250. >>

You suck.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I just got lucky and bought a $10 gold eagle from a dealer and then next month Trends increased significantly for some reason (I still don't know why). I sold it for about a $1,500 profit. Again, it was pure luck and no skill at all.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very telling about the current state of the hobby when most of the home runs involve coins which suddenly became "worth" many times what was paid for them just by putting them in plastic. It's a big part of the reason why I'm becoming more and more disenchanted with, and jaded about, the hobby. >>

Well... aren't those tales basically about finding a vastly underappreciated coin, becoming an advocate for its recognition, and assisting demanding collectors with their quest for exemplary coins -- all while helping to improve the accuracy of the pop reports?
  • Options

<< <i>Well... aren't those tales basically about finding a vastly underappreciated coin, becoming an advocate for its recognition, and assisting demanding collectors with their quest for exemplary coins -- all while helping to improve the accuracy of the pop reports? >>

But does anyone really think people would pay 2x as much for a raw 65-caliber coin as a raw 64-caliber coin if there weren't slabbers putting numbers on a coin and registry sets to fill?

Hint: Think back to the "old days" before slabbing and compare the difference between "choice BU" and "gem BU" coin prices to the difference between (say) 64 and 66 today. The difference, IMO, is the number and the plastic.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i><< Bought a colonial coin on Ebay for $40 and sold it for $8,250. >>

You suck. >>

Yep, that's an example of the top tier YOU SUCK!!!™.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My mom used to have a reupholstery business and found a 1932 D washington in an old couch. I got the coin a decade or so ago and sold it for $130 last year. That's my idea of a home run!
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    I pulled a 1990D nickel out of my change a few years ago and sold it for over $1200 after it came back as 66FS- a pop 1 at the time.
  • Options
    I can see protesting about craven crack-outs looking to make, say, $1000 by turning a solid or strong MS64 into a weak MS65. OTOH, if a very rare condition half dollar is sitting in the collection of some dingbat who wants $7 for it, that coin needs to be rescued.

As a sometime stamp collector, I've been a bit irritated with the grading of stamps. The authentication is nice, but that's been available for a long time. Those collectibles are a hell of a lot easier to grade than coins, and the 100-point grading has put a lot of fresh, superbly centered issues out of reach. That's great for sellers, but disappointing for buyers.
  • Options

<< <i>I pulled a 1990D nickel out of my change a few years ago and sold it for over $1200 after it came back as 66FS- a pop 1 at the time. >>

MS66 quality out of circulating pocket change? Now that's collecting -- and suckitude. image
  • Options
    Most fun: I paid $32 for a NGC AU50 '32 Washington. Thing is it was a '32-D. Had NGC reslab and sold for $450.

Most profitable: 2006 Mint offerings - platinum, gold and silver! image
  • Options

<< <i>But does anyone really think people would pay 2x as much for a raw 65-caliber coin as a raw 64-caliber coin if there weren't slabbers putting numbers on a coin and registry sets to fill?

Hint: Think back to the "old days" before slabbing and compare the difference between "choice BU" and "gem BU" coin prices to the difference between (say) 64 and 66 today. The difference, IMO, is the number and the plastic. >>

Ziggy, that is exactly the reason that TPGs were needed and created. We want the coins we know are better than most of the rest to be recognized as such. The antiquated terms you spoke of leave a great deal of latitude among the grade. That's why they aren't used very much anymore. Looking back at the "old days" is great, but we tend to remember only the good things. We don't remember the average collector getting ripped left and right by cleaned or overgraded coins.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been slowly submitting full step nickels that I colected in the late 1980s, many which were purchased for well under $2 each. The best hits so far were a $3 1953-D that went MS65FS and a 1979 that came out of a roll ($2 face, bought for $3) that went MS64FS. Both sold for well over $200 each.

From a pure profit standpoint, I won a 1936 Lincoln DDO#1 on eBay for $65, PCGS graded it AU55 and I sold it for about $625.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    I bought a smaller sized coin collection a year ago, which included just common date US silver coins, such as Franklins, Peace Dollars, Morgan Dollars, a few Mercury dimes. All well worn, which I paid slightly over melt for them. Along with the collection was a bunch of common date wheats, and some world coins. Nothing special. In fact, I paid less than $200 for the collection.

Included in the collection were 4 worn silver certificates. I don't collect paper money, and didn't want those. The person selling the collection insisted I include those as well, as she was just going to turn them into the bank. So I gave her $2 a piece for the three $1 silver certificates, and $10 for the one $5 silver certificate. Turns out the $5 silver certificate was a very rare note, with only 3 known pieces. I sold it for $800. Unfortunately, I couldn't contact the person selling the collection again, as she met me in a netural place and didn't give me her phone number, as I thought I should give her some more money for the $5 silver certificate.

$5 silver certificate - bought for $10
    $5 sivler certificate - sold for $800

My second "homerun" was buying 4 of the 20th Anniversary ASE sets from the US Mint for $400, and selling them for $900.
  • Options
    1. The greatest would be the Cheerios Sacagawea dollar and cent that I got from buying 4 boxes of Cheerios at Kroger's. I sold the first one here at auction for $1800.

2. I bought a 1960 Proof Set at a dealer in Louisville for $14. It contained a lg/sm date cent worth $300.
    image Monster Wavy Steps Rule! - 1999, WSDDR-015, 1999P-1DR-003 - 2 known
    My EBay Store/Auctions
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Upgraded an MS62 PCGS 1901-P Morgan to MS63. image >>

Nice on, Dennis!

Once I bought half a bag of silver for 6X face and flipped it for 10X face 6 months later image

No plastic was used in the making of that profit image
  • Options
    <<Very telling about the current state of the hobby when most of the home runs involve coins which suddenly became "worth" many times what was paid for them just by putting them in plastic. It's a big part of the reason why I'm becoming more and more disenchanted with, and jaded about, the hobby. >>

The best things in life are free except coins
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked off a 1854-O Seated Half for $85 off Ebay. Graded MS64 at PCGS.
  • Options

Usually I just make base hits. I often strike out when I go to upgrade coins/paper, and end up netting less after I sell my duplicates.

I have made a few home runs though.

The biggest home run came from pulling many examples of a certain variety coin out of bank rolls. It has probably enriched me and my 2 kids to the tune of 75-100k. I prefer not to disclose what coin it is, it was certainly a once in a life time opportunity. We haven't sold them yet and expect the prices to go higher in the coming years. Sometimes when you recognize an opportunity - you have to move on it. On the other hand, I can't count all the lost opportunities I let get away.

In another instance, I found a note that was incorrectly attributed by CGA. I had it slabbed by PMG and have at least a 15k profit tied into it. I've been able to make several base hits with Currency.

Right now, I'm working on another base hit. A freind has showed me how to make a small but steady monthly profit by searching for a particular coin that I can resell for a few times my cost. Modern Crap. Once again, I can't disclose the particular coin because of competition.

It's been a fun hobby, but my wife thinks I'm an idiot.
  • Options
    GooberGoober Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    Bought an 03-O Morgon for $20, then received $200 trade on a NGC MS-65 03-O priced at $300.

Barber .10 07-s for $80

Just bought an 09 VDB MS-66 for $80
    Prost!

Why step over the dollar to get to the cent? Because it's a 55DDO.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file