Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1819 The 18th in a series of CBH's--Show off your busts

JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is the 18th in a series of informative picture threads covering the lettered edge Capped Bust Half Dollars from 1807-36 in reverse year order.

General guidelines:

1. Members can simply post pictures, or include pertinent information like Overton marriage and diagnostics, or just ask for information about their pictured coin from other members. Please keep picture file sizes within reason for dial up members.

2. Ultimately, we would like to see at least one example pictured for each Overton marriage.

3. Thread starts are only on Thursdays and Sundays.

If you would like to see any of the previous threads covering the years 1820 to 1836 go HERE -- Thanks coinaddict.

PLEASE CONTRIBUTE: You don't have to know anything about Bust Half varieties to make a comment, even if it's to say 'I like this coin..',
it helps to keep the thread lively, and all input is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

Let me once again thank Mozin for starting this informative series of threads and for all the work he has put into this as well as his willingness to help and show us some of his monster CBH's---THANKS MOZINimage

Total estimated mintage is 2,208,000. There were 14 obverse and 13 reverse dies used resulting in 15 varieties for this year.
There are only 2 very scarce varieties this year, the O-103 and the O-106 which are both 1819/18, 9 over 8 overdates.

Here is the 1819/18 O-101
It utilizes Obverse 1 with Reverse A
Some characteristics of this die marriage are:
Obv-1819/18, stars are sharp with long points close to the milling, the 9 is a small narrow 9 with an open tail and the 81 is closer than the 18 or 19 in the date.
Rev-There is a solid twin segment below the 50, the 5 is slender with a large 0. The arrowheads are separated and there is a fine die crack between the tips of the olive leaves to the top of the UN and it gradually extends around much of the reverse.
Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Comments

• Options
    O-104
    Obverse: Star 2 has bold extra points from being recut.
    Reverse: No signs of upper left serifs on E's. Right sdes of T-I in line.
  • Options
    Here is an 1819 O-111
    Some characteristics of this marriage are:
    Obv- stars 1 and 2 are closer together than the others, the 18 is wider than the 819.
    Rev- 50C is low, the E in STATES is much lower than the T and the R is higher at the base than the I

Another item I would like to add about the 1819's--I am not sure if this applies to all 15 marriages, but this is the only year in the series that I have seen that shows the end of the middle arrow-shaft having a full pointed ending as opposed to a shorter cut off middle arrow-tail--Please look at the pic I am including and discuss if any opinions/thoughts.
  • Options
    ttt---it's Thursday
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn J-Rock, that O.101 is incredible image
  • Options
    mepotmepot Posts: 585 ✭✭✭
    Whew,those 1820 and 21 dates are tough,but I'm in for 1819.This is O-109,R2.Obv stars are large and close to

milling.Rev 50 C. is low,5 has a large round loop and a curved top.JRocco,you've got me looking at those arrow shafts more closely,didn't notice that before.image

imageimage:
    computer illiterate,becoming coin literate with the help of this forum.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    JRocco,

Thanks for starting this thread.image

==========================================

imageimage

Some diagnostics for Large 9 1819/18 O-102 R2:

Obverse: Star 1 points to upper edge of dentil. 19 is wider than 181. All the 1819 overdates share the same style 1s, different from the regular 1819 marriages.

imageimage

Reverse: Wide dentil spacing below 0 in 50. All three Ts have defective right bases. Right side of I under left side of T.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the O-101 the best!
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    mepot, I just love the look of your O-109 !!! image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    O-115 R3. Don't see many of this die marriage offered for sale.

• Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for Large 9 1819/18 O-104 R1:

imageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to upper half of dentil. Star 2 is drastically recut, star 4 also recut. All the 1819 overdates share the same style 1s, different from the regular 1819 marriages.

Reverse: Upper left serifs missing on Es. Right sides of I and T in line.
  • Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for Large 9 1819/18 O-106 R4:

imageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points between dentils. "18" is wider than "819". Accent mark shows above second "1". Two or three die lines just left of first "1" flag. All of the 1819 overdates share the same style "1's", different from the regular 1819 marriages.

Reverse: Notch at right base of "A's" at right. Right sides of "I" and "T" are in line. (Reverse shared with O-105.)
  • Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for Small 9 1819/8 O-101 R1:

imageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to upper half of dentil. Date has slender figures, and "81" is closer than "18" or "19".

Reverse: There is a triple dentil below large "0" in "50 C", and "5" is slender. "I" is centered under right side of "T".
  • Options
    1819 O-105, R2

This 1819 die marriage is referred to in the O/P books as an 1819/18 overdate.

It is not.

All of the 1819/18 overdates have a flat top 1's. This O-105 die marriage has the "pointed" top 1's.

For a complete, well-written explanation, please refer to Edgar's book: "Bust Half Fever II," page 448.

This die marriage was struck using obv. die 4 and rev. die E. Reverse die E was used immediately after to strike O-106.

I find it interesting that the first four 1819/18 overdated die marriages were the first four 1819 coins struck in the year. They are O-101, O-103, O-102, and O-104. They were struck in this order.

The O-105 was the second to the last die marriage struck in 1819. The 1819/18 O-106 overdate was the last die marriage struck in 1819.

Does this mean that after obverse die 4 failed during the striking the O-105, the Mint had no new 1819 dated dies ready for use? ...and they had no choice but to "drag out of moth balls" an unused 1818 die and overdate it to in order to strike the O-106.

I would think that later that year some new 1819 dated dies must have been become available for usage while the O-106 was being struck. Evidently the calendar year ended before these new dies could be used. Where else would the obverse dies overdated 1820/19's come from?

Quick identifier:

(1) On the obverse there is a solid bar connecting tail and loop of the 9 making it look like an overdate. ...but the tops of the 1's are pointed so it must be the O-105.

(2) On the reverse there is a notch at the right base of the A's.

Photos of the1819 O-105, R2:

• Options
    Nice write-up on the O-105 normal date. I was hoping to sell my specimen before word got out that it was not an overdate. Oh well, the label on the NGC holder says 1819/8, so it must be an overdate.image

Those CU members who have not purchased BUST HALF FEVER second edition may be out of luck in finding one to buy. The book is sold out. If you locate one, quickly snatch it up. If all you can find is a copy of the first edition, it has much of what is written in the second edition.
  • Options
    Mozin...

...I just checked www.abebooks.com

(As I start to type this, the time is 10:05 PM PST)

They have ONE copy of the second edition available.

It is not cheap.

...but if it makes you potential "Bust Half Fever" buyers feel better, let me honestly tell you that when I bought the 1st Edition (several years ago when it was out of print) I had to pay $150 for my copy. I still have it in my bookcase.

If I had owned that book---and read it---before I heavily got into Busties, the knowledge it gave me would have saved me hundreds of dollars (if not more). I am convinced of this. In the beginning of my Bustie buying, I was not a smart collector.

Happy hunting,

Ed
  • Options

Some diagnostics for 1819 O-107a R3:

imageimage
    imageimageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to lower half of dentil. Star 7 points to upper half of dentil, and to lower edge of curl. Star 13 nearly touches curl. On this LDS, a heavy crack shows from edge at star 2, across bust, left of lower curl, and to left curve of 9. A tiny crack goes from above down through second 1.

imageimage

Reverse: 50 C has large round figures, and the 5 is recut, showing left of its upright, and above its flag. Lower right serif of first A in AMERICA is notched at right. On this LDS, a crack shows at the top of AMERICA to edge below lower arrowhead. I is centered below T. (Reverse is shared with O-108.)
  • Options
    The 1819 O-107 die marriage.

This is somewhat of a repeat from Mozin's last posting of the 1819 O-107a Late Die State of this die marriage.

Mozin posted photos of his coin as soon as possible at my request. I have been looking for this Late Die State for quite some time now and I wanted to get a clear VISUAL idea of what the die cracks looked like. Like I stated to him in a personal e-mail: "The O/P book may describe the die cracks exactly, but to me A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS."

Again, my thanks to Mozin for "dropping everything" on a Saturday night to post pictures for me.

I thought I would go ahead and post the photos of my Early Die State set piece.

Mozin did a great job of presenting the diagnostics for this die marriage. I will not try to repeat he said.

The only difference between the EDS and the LDS is that the Later Die State has no die cracks.

Photos of my 1819 O-107, R4:

• Options

I love this year in the CBH series.
    The 20's are awesome and the 30's are OK, but the teens is the decade that puts CBH's on the map.
    Between those heavy clashes of the earlier teens, the 13/UNI gem, the 15 treasure, the dry year of 16 followed by the jaw dropping varieties of 17......I love the teens in the CBH series.

1819 brings up the rear in this great decade of CBH coinage.....

I want to see more......

Any takers ?????
  • Options
    I have an 1821 when you bring that date up I will post a pic
    I think its a O-101, but I'll let the experts tell me more.

it does have a small scratch though and will never get graded.
  • Options
    edmerlredmerlr Posts: 563
    The 1819 O-114 die marriage. This is rated R3 for a "scarce" die marriage.

This die marriage was struck using Obverse die 13 and Reverse die L. This was the only use of these dies.

The quick identifier for this die marriage is a diagonal line on the eagle's neck just above the apex of the shield. This line pierces the feathers.

(You can see this on my photo. At first glance it may appear to be the edge of a feather. ...but when you compare it to the neck feathers on other die marriages, the difference becomes obvious. Check Peterson's "The Ultimate Guide..." for another photo.)

Also on this die marriage, but not unique to it, the I is centered under the right side of R and the 19 in the date is closer than 181.

Photos of the 1819 O-114, R3:

• Options
    Mozin did an excellent job of presenting the very scarce 1819/18 O-106, R4 die marriage on Page 1 of this Thread.

Before I post photos of my example, a couple of thoughts I would like to share:

When I first started collecting Busties, I assumed, logically I thought, that all of the overdated die marriages were struck first, then the non-overdates were struck. Why not? I seemed to me that if the Obverse dies with that year's date on them were not ready for use, the Mint would overdate the previous year's die use it (or them).

Well, I was half correct.

I find it very interesting that this O-106 die marriage was the LAST 1819 dated coin struck in the calendar year 1819. Why were the first 4 overdates the first coins struck in the year (O-101, O-103, O-102, O-104, struck in that order), and the last overdate struck as the last coin of the year? (Remember the O-105 is NOT really an overdate.)

Using some creative imagination and (accurate?) logic here is a possible senario:

I believe the obverse die broke up or wore out on the second to the last die marriage struck during the year. (This was the O-105.) The calendar year wasn't over. The Coiner was under pressure to keep producing Bust Halves. One or more of three things might have been going on:

(1) There was not enough time left in the year,
    (2) or the materials were not available,
    (3) or it was not cost effective to produce a "brand new" obverse die dated 1819.

I believe it is ONLY senario (2). To keep the screw press going, the Coiner had an unused 1818 obverse die overdated 1819/18 creating Obverse die 5. Obverse die 5 was combined with the Reverse die E which was being used to strike the O-105 when that die marriage's obverse die failed. With the combination of Obv. die 5 and Rev. die E, the O-106 DM was born.

While the O-106 was being struck, time and/or material became available to produce more "brand new" 1819 dated dies for use in case Obverse 5 failed.

Obverse die 5 did NOT fail before the end of the year. The new dies produced (in case of die 5's failure)---two of them---were then overdated 1820/19 for use when the 1820 calendar year began.

Any comments, please?

Photos of my 1819/18 O-106, R4:

• Options
    FEVERFEVER Posts: 232
    Emerlr, JRocco, Mozin and others have posted some simply beautiful 1819's on this thread. Here are a few more for your viewing: The first is O-106, R4 which is a tough piece to find in nice condition. The second is a beautiful little 1819, O-115 that I picked up. Yes, I know it has some PVC lightly clinging to it (it was in storage for the last 30 + years) - which I will have to have removed shortly) but the surfaces are so soft and luster just "reeks" everywhere from this piece - so difficult to find today with all the dipping and cleaning going on ...

Edgar

First the O-106, 19/18 ...

And now the O-115 with drippy satiny luster . . . PVC an all . . .

• Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for Large 9 1819/8 O-103a R4:

imageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to upper edge of dentil. “19” is wider than “181”. All of the 1819 overdates share the same style “1’s”, different from the regular 1819 marriages. (Obverse shared with O-102.)

imageimage

Reverse: “5” is upright, rather than canted right. The lowest arrow feather has a tine that crosses underneath the third left claw. Lower right serif of second “T” in “STATES” is damaged, showing at right. First “T” is well beneath adjacent “A”. On this LDS, there are numerous die cracks. “I” is far left of “T”.
  • Options
    Mozin,

Your O-103a is drop dead beautiful! Wow! Is it an old purchase or a new one??? Just curious ...

Edgar
  • Options
    FEVER, thanks for the compliment on my coin. I bought the 1819 O-103a three years ago, also kept my old XF45 bought in 1996. I find it hard to part with R4s or better. image
  • Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1819 O-108 R3:

imageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points between dentils. Low date is very wide, and evenly spaced. The curl above the clasp has several horizontal spikes protruding from it.

imageimageimage

Reverse: 50 C has large round figures, and the 5 is recut, showing left of its upright, and above its flag. Lower right serif of first A in AMERICA is notched at right. On this marriage we see the same cracks as on the earlier O-107; a crack shows at the top of AMERICA to edge below lower arrowhead. I is centered below T. (Reverse is LDS of O-107.)
  • Options
    One of the missing die STATES: the 1819 O-109a, R2.

This die marriage was struck using Obverse die 8 and Reverse die G-s2. When striking this coin Reverse die G was starting to show signs of wear (now called G-s2 for this stage of die wear). This is the only use of these dies.

On the reverse a die crack begins at the olive leaves and circles left to join the entire legend. On some specimens N in UNITED is partially filled. On the Late Die States, TE---initially separated---is now joined at the bottom with a die line.

On my coin the die crack is present, part of the N is filled, but TE are not yet joined at the bottom. (This joining of TE is not mentioned in the O/P book.)

Photos of the 1819 O-109a, R2:

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good stuff !!!!!!
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    JJM,

Welcome to our Capped Bust Half Dollar series. If you own any, please post them in the appropriate year thread.
  • Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1819 O-113 R1:

Obverse: Star 1 points to upper half of dentil. Star 7 points to center of dentil, and to upper half of curl.

imageimage

Reverse: 50 C is low, with a large round 5 with a curved top. Arrowheads are close and joined to shafts above. Middle line of stripe 2 extends upwards too far. There is a double line below stripe 3. Left sides of I and T are in line.
  • Options

Some diagnostics for 1819 O-112 R3:

imageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points between dentils, and it is very close to drapery. Date is low.

Reverse: T and E in STATES are joined at their top serifs by a defect line. Left sides of I and T are in line.
  • Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1819 O-110a R3:

imageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points between dentils. Star 7 is recut at several points, points between dentils, and to upper half of curl.

Reverse: Bases of As in AMERICA are nearly closed. I is centered under right side of T.
  • Options
    Another missing die state: The 1819/18 Large 9 O-104a, R2.

THIS IS NOT YOUR "NORMAL" O-104a.

This is a Very Late Die State with both reverse die breaks mentioned in the O/P books. (Red Arrows)

...but it also has a THIRD DIE BREAK running from rim under far left leaves past left wing tip, under the legend to base of first T in STATES. (Green Arrows).

You can see that the mint had to keep using this reverse die inspite of its condition.

I can hear the Coiner shouting (in Early 19th Century American-English [including motivational cuss words?]): "Where's that new reverse die? This die is breaking up on me!!! Hurry up !!! Bring it over here!!!"

Photos of the 1819 O-104a, R2: (ex Higgins, I believe)

• Options
    slumlord98slumlord98 Posts: 1,180
    Ed and Edgar,

I reject the argument that O.105 is not an overdate. I once owned an EDS that clearly showed remnants of the 8 on the lower right of 9, and maybe (it's been a while) at top right of 9.

Care to respond?
  • Options
    Slumlord98:

I have to think about it.

Perhaps then I can respond (with intelligence?). Give me time (I don't know how long) to put my thoughts together.

Edgar is still a kid. ...maybe he will be able to respond faster.

Do you have any scans/drawings of the O-105 EDS of which you speak?

Regards and Happy Sunday,

Ed R.
  • Options
    slumlord98slumlord98 Posts: 1,180
    Ed,

Better still, I may be able to convince the current owner to bring it to the ANA. I'll see him next week at the Mid America Expo. Most of my CBH images died with my last hard drive. I still haven't absorbed the lesson to back things up.
  • Options
    Here's another missing die STATE with some really, really neat die cracks.

It is the 1819 O-112a, R3.

The O-112a differs from the O-112 in that the O-112a has two die cracks. The die cracks are hard to see in the photo of my lower grade specimen so I have marked them with green and red arrows.

Another thing, this is the only example of the O-112a I have seen (where I could actually hold the coin in my hand and see the die cracks). Therefore I am unclear if the O/P book correctly describes the location of the die cracks OR IF my coin is merely an Intermediate Die State with the incomplete die crack.

(1) [Red Arrows] The O/P says that there is "...a die crack from edge down across right wing, claw, leaves..." On my coin I see the die crack under the right wing, under the left claws and as it goes through the leaves. ...but on my coin I also see a die crack going from the right corner of the scroll to the top of the right wing. This is not mentioned in the O/P book.

(2) [Green Arrows] The O/P book continues the quotation of above stating "...and under UNIT to ED." As I read this, this is written to say to me---as I understand the sentence---that there is only ONE die crack. Not so. There are TWO distinct die cracks.

Any comments on this from anybody?

Photos of my 1819 O-112a, R3: (ex Julian Liedman and Jules Reiver collections)

• Options
    Here's another 1819 O-108, R3.

The reverse die used to strike this die marriage was used to strike the O-107 die marriage. During the striking of the LDS of the O-107 die marriage (the O-107a) the die cracked leaving a light die crack at top of AMERICA to edge below arrowheads.

The O-108 was struck using this cracked reverse die. During this striking two more cracks developed in the die.

As a result of this, SOME specimens of the O-108 show these additional die cracks. One from edge along right side of first T in states across U in scroll to eagle's neck. Another along UNITED ST. The O/P uses the word "some." I have no idea on how many - in percentage or quanity - the word "some" implies.

I do not see these additonal die cracks in mepot's coin pictured on page 1 of this thread. These additional die cracks are NOT on my coin.

Photos of my 1819 O-108, R3:

• Options
    Another recent addition:

I'm really trying to get a handle on die marriages, but still not completely sure what I'm looking at. I'm going to go out on a limb, and suggest this is either an O-113 or O-115. What do you think?

Exclusively collecting Capped Bust Halves in VF to AU, especially rarity 3 and up.
    Joe G.
    Great BST purchases completed with commoncents123, p8nt, blu62vette and Stuart. Great coin swaps completed with rah1959, eyoung429 and Zug. Top-notch consignment experience with Russ.
  • Options
    jobiwan115 your coin is the 1819 O-113, R1.

(1) The star to dentil relationships match the O/P book.
    (2) The date is low
    (3) The 5 of 50 C. is large and round with a curved top.
    (4) The arrowheads are joined to each other and the shafts by small die defects.
    (5) The left sides of T - I are in line

Regards,

Ed R.
  • Options

<< <i>jobiwan115 your coin is the 1819 O-113, R1.

(1) The star to dentil relationships match the O/P book.
    (2) The date is low
    (3) The 5 of 50 C. is large and round with a curved top.
    (4) The arrowheads are joined to each other and the shafts by small die defects.
    (5) The left sides of T - I are in line

Regards,

Ed R. >>

Thanks for your response, Ed. I was thinking so because of 3 and 4 above, but wasn't sure on the date - how low is "low enough"? image . I've seen your reason number 5 mentioned, but I still don't quite understand it.
    Exclusively collecting Capped Bust Halves in VF to AU, especially rarity 3 and up.
    Joe G.
    Great BST purchases completed with commoncents123, p8nt, blu62vette and Stuart. Great coin swaps completed with rah1959, eyoung429 and Zug. Top-notch consignment experience with Russ.
  • Options
    jobiwan115

Regarding the date on your 1819 O-113: How low is low enough? In measurement I do not have an answer here. ...and I don't recall a specific measurement given in the O/P book. But compare the placement of the date on your coin (in relationship to the dentils below) with the placement of the date on the other 1819's posted. You will see a difference.

By the "T - I relationship," I mean the vertical relationship of the second T in STATES and the I in PLURIBUS below it. On the O-113 the left side of the stand of T is directly above the left side of the stand of the I.

The T- I relationship is one of the primary diagnostics in the Overton/Parsley book. Look at the other 1819's. You will see variances in the positioning of the T and the I. At one time you thought you may have the O-115. Not so - no way. On the O-115 the stand of the "I" is centered under the right side of the stand of the "T."

When I post one of my coins I rarely talk about the primary diagostics of the T - I relationship or the star to dentil relationships. I skip this for various reasons.

(1) These diagnostics are listed in the O/P book and it is - for me - impossible to memorize them for all 450 die marriages.
    (2) It is not unusual to have a Bustie where the dentils are worn off or are weak from the coin being struck by a worn die, so in these cases the published star to dentl relationships are often useless.
    (3) On some coins there may be a weak strike in the area of the second T in STATES and/or the I in PLURIBUS and the relationship cannot be determined because you cannot see either the T or the I clearly.
    (4) I, myself, find it easier to remember - if I can - one or two quick indentifiers for a specific die marriage. This may not always postively attribute the coin, but it will make the coin easier and quicker to attribute once I open the O/P book. For example, if I see am 1827 with wavy die lines under the bust to the left of the date, then I instantly know that it is either the O-120 or the O-149. ...then I open the O/P and check the diagnostics for the O-120 and O-149. This, for me, is just a time saver.

...and I cannot even memorize ALL of the "quick identifiers." There are just too many different Busties. ...but I do try to remember the identifiers for the coins that are R4 or higher for the purpose of cherrypicking. And I try to remember the identifiers for the coins that are missing from my collection.

Sorry, I got carried away. But I think I answered your questions somewhere above.

Regards,

Ed R.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I, myself, find it easier to remember - if I can - one or two quick indentifiers for a specific die marriage. This may not always postively attribute the coin, but it will make the coin easier and quicker to attribute once I open the O/P book. For example, if I see am 1827 with wavy die lines under the bust to the left of the date, then I instantly know that it is either the O-120 or the O-149. ...then I open the O/P and check the diagnostics for the O-120 and O-149. This, for me, is just a time saver. >>

Admit it Ed. You "know" it is the 149. (Example number 4)image
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    OKbustchaser:

My first reaction to your last post was: "Smart #&$."

...but as I thought about it, I was trying to make a point.

A true story:

Last November at a coin show I found a dealer with only one Bustie on his table. It was a NGC AU-50 1827. The coin was so eye appealing and well struck that from 6 feet in the air (I am 6' 4") I could see the wavy lines below the bust and to the left of the date.

Instantly I knew it was the O-120 DM, probably the "more common" O-120a die state, or the O-149. ...and I knew I would have better luck finding the Lost Treasure of the Serria Madre than an O-149, but I had to pick up the slab and ask the price.

I have most of my 1827 die states - and I had already spent my coin budget - so I probably would have walked by the coin had it not been for the wavy lines.

I asked the price. The price was unbelievably low compared to today's market prices. ...but being a typical coin collector, I offered $50 less. We then agreed on a price at $40 less. I bought it.

Yes, it was NOT the O-149, as expected. ...but it was the 1827 O-120, R5 die state.

I didn't get a R8 coin, but I did get a R5 coin at less than a R1's market price.

So there...

Ed R.

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to derail a great thread any further, but I, too, was making a bit of a point. When one sees the identifiers for a die (obverse or reverse) used on a high R factor DM as well as a more common one then one's heart imediately starts to thump a little faster, his breath quickens, and his hands begin to shake--even though he knows that the coin is probably the lower rated variety he can't help but think MAYBE THIS TIME! (Personally, I am always SURE that it will be) That feeling--even after turning over the coin and confirming the lower rated DM--is still one of the highpoints of collecting by DM.
    Jim

Edit:
    By the way, I actually am a bit of a Smart #&$ at times. image
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    All I can say is, WOW. I hope I eventually know as much about DMs as you two, edmerlr and OKbustchaser. There sure is a lot to more about these coins, compared to other ones I've collected. I got into CBHs because of how old they are, and I marvel that they're available in such good shape. I will be into 'em for quite a long time, that's for sure. Thanks again for your educated responses.
    Joe G.
  • Options
    edmerlr,

Ed I think your thoughts are in line with mine on the 1819, O-106 on the previous page. I believe it was struck at the very tail end. Also, one thing that must be remembered is that in 1819 Reich was gone. As I mentioned at ANA this week, in EARLY 1817 Mint Director Robert Patterson tried and failed to get Christian Gobrecht to take the position of "assistant" engraver to then Chief Engraver Robert Scot (who, at this point, was only Chief Engraver by title and pay). Gobrecht refused.

Scot, did only the minimum to "get by". In other words, he overdated anything he could get his hands on. Anything that "would do". For example, the 1819, O-104 appears to have been a botched die. Check out the botched Star 2 and field debris on this obverse. (I've shown the 1819 O-104 below for everyone's perusal). In just four years (1817-1820) Scot created the following overdated varieties:

1817/13 O-101
    1817/14 O-102
    1818/17 O-101
    1818/17 O-102
    1818/17 O-103
    1819/18 O-101
    1819/18 O-102
    1819/18 O-103
    1819/18 O-104
    1819/18 O-106
    1820/19 O-101 (Possibly an 1820/19/18)
    1810/19 O-102

By 1821 Scot's vision had failed and he died in 1823.

Edgar

P.S. To Slumlord98 - I'd love to see that 1819 O-105 that you stated, earlier in this thread, that you believe is an overdate. I've seen one example that had die wear where there appeared to be some "pull" that tricked the eye into thinking it was an underlying 8 - but it was just the state of the die. If you have access to an enlarged image - I would certainly appreciate seeing it - as all factors to date (progressive chipping of the die - wrong type 1 numeral punch, emission order, etc.), points to a normal non overdated half dollar. Please email me if you do locate this image - or can talk to the new owner about suppling an enlarged image of the date. I would really appreciate it.

P.S.S. The 1819/18 O-104a also shows something that I did not mention in Bust Half Fever - Second Edition, namely that it is a "Broken Arrows" piece which is stronger (well actually visually weaker) than the 1831, O-113 and nearly the same as the 1829, O-105. So collectors might wish to add the 1819/18 O-104a to the heavily lapped die "Broken Arrows" Capped Bust half dollar list.

1819/18 O-104

• Options
    No 1819's have been posted here in 6 weeks.

Time to keep the threads alive.

Here are some 1819's on these pages:

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Still looking good there Ed image
  • Options
    Thanks Stone...

...but we need to see your Busties and the Busties of others.

I have backed off (for the most part)- like I suspect a couple of others have - we need to see more postings from the (many) other members.

Remember Guys, these Busties are NOT X-Rated, you can show them here!!!

Ed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file