Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Lord M's "XXX" thread! (AND THE WINNER IS... 66RB!)

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
(The "XXX" in the title refers to my 30th anniversary, you pervs.) image

It was thirty years ago this Thanksgiving Day that it all began for me, numismatically speaking. (Actually, since Thanksgiving fell on the 25th of November in 1976, Saturday will be my actual anniversary date).

I was ten and a half years old. I was in my Grandmother Dobbs' house on Lenox Road in Atlanta. It was a wonderful old house full of nooks and crannies for us kids to explore, and full of all kinds of old treasures.

On this particular day, I was in the kitchen with Mom and Grandmomma, who were cooking. I apparently got underfoot, so Mom banished me from the kitchen and told me to go upstairs and take a nap. I told her I wasn't tired. She looked at me menacingly and said she didn't care if I slept or not, just get out of the kitchen and go lie down upstairs! So I went. I figured I could read, at least. There were books everywhere in Grandmomma's cool old house. One whole wall had stacks of Reader's Digest magazines with dates on the spines going back to the 1940s, if I recall correctly. Wow. And there were old hatboxes on top of that. And an old ceremonial sword (which I played with and later accidentally broke, but never confessed to the crime until now).

In a dresser drawer in the guest bedroom, I found some old coins. There was an 1872 half dime and a gold Spanish cob from a shipwreck, that belonged to one of my uncles. Also a 1971 Black Book of United States Coins. Wow, I'd never heard of a half dime. Maybe the book would tell me something about it. It did. And I read about all sorts of obsolete coin types I had never heard of or seen. I began to get excited.

When it was safe to return downstairs, I tiptoed back into the kitchen, Black Book in hand, excitedly babbling about the old coins and the book and the half dime and so on. Grandmomma told me to put the half dime back, as it was part of an uncle's collection. But she could see I was excited, and she struck a bargain with me: if I set the table for Thanksgiving dinner, I could maybe find some more old coins in the sideboard drawer where the silverware was kept!

I was off like a shot. Found the silverware and set the table. I also found... a 1936 Winged Liberty, or "Mercury" dime! Wow, I had just looked at those in the book! What a treasure! It was... forty years old! Wow, really OLD! And there was a funny-looking 1943 penny, too. It was all silvery, and it had the wheat ears on the back which I'd learned to look for even before I became a collector. The book said it was steel, and sure enough, it stuck to one of the refrigerator magnets! Grandmomma said I could keep the coins!

I also found a 1948 Franklin half that had a bullet hole through the middle of it, but Grandmomma didn't let me keep that one because it was a keepsake of one my uncles' riflery skills. Later she gave me a silver 1951-D quarter she said she'd dug up out of the flowerbed in the front yard. Wow.

That Thanksgiving feast was special. Not only did Grandmomma make better biscuits than ANYBODY, she had the coolest treasure-laden house in the world.

Alas, the house is long gone now, and the woods behind it where we played. I hear it's all a restaurant parking lot now, thanks to urban sprawl. Grandmomma too has moved on from this world. Now I am exactly as old as that "really old" forty year old dime was when I found it in the drawer that day. But I still hold the memories dear in my heart... and I still have the dime.

I don't have any pictures of it handy, but it's your basic VG Mercury dime. I probably wouldn't take several hundred dollars for that humble coin that's worth less than a dollar. It's priceless to me. I need to pull it out and scan a picture of it, and also scan a surviving copy of one of the thankyou letters I sent her that Christmas, with some coin wish list stuff included. Pretty amusing.

Here's thinkin' of you, Grandmomma. I wipe a tear as I type this.

Now, this thread is not all about reminiscence. Well, it is, but to make it fun, I of course had to do a giveaway, too, right? image

Post your own anecdote about the coin that got you started, and if you still have it, post a picture of it!

Those who share their stories about their first coin will be entered into a drawing.

I remember 66Tbird telling his story a long time back- it was also in the 1970s and involved a Mercury dime. He was on the playground and threw a marble and heard it clink on something in the grass, I think. But I'll let him tell his own tale.

Post only once to this thread, since the winner of the giveaway will be selected by random number generator.

So, what is my 30th Anniversary giveaway prize? What else could it be but a 1936 Mercury dime, of course!

I had no luck finding a decent one within my giveaway budget on eBay so I went to Heritage and won one tonight.

Sorry, you can't have my raw VG 1936 that I found in Grandmomma's silverware drawer.

You'll just have to settle for a PCGS MS66.

Winner will be selected on or shortly after my true anniversary date on the 25th of November. Post your stories about "the coin that started it all for you", and when that was.

Happy Thanksgiving.

AND THE WINNER IS... another Rob! "66RB"!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    The prize coin:

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it was july 28,1995 one day after my 18th b-day i went to the store to get some soda, well i handed the cashier some money and she handed me back some change, so i went and saw something that caught my eye on the Ike dollar i had just gotten as change, back at my trailer house i looked at the coin and saw what looked like lines under some of the letters, so the next day i took a good looked under a powerful mag and saw that there were lines under some letters, it wasn't till some years later that it was ID as an MDD ike dollar, it was my first error coin of my collection and the first coin also

Sorry about the small pics but i'm not on my computer so these will have to do

Coins for sale at link below

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i3Hq4WazXaWPmvH78

• Options
    So, Cam40: you found your first collectible coin while sleeping? Or joking? Or hitchiking?

• Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Great story. What a great treasure memories are.
  • Options
    Not really a coin but one of those HUGE pot metal play toys.
    You can read about it here in a post that I made about it in July of 2005. To this day, Franklin halves are still my passion.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=417855
  • Options
    Giant potmetal Frankies count. image

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    obviously a failed attemt at humor.

i cant say what THE coin was that got me really into coins.
    my brother however showed an interest at a very early age i remember.
    we were like 6 and 7 years old and he was telling me about this `rare` buffalo nickel
    unlike the one (we) had that showed the buffalo on a mount instead of a plain.
    we also would go through lots of pennies looking for wheats,of which were quite easy to find usually in 1966 or so.
    we didnt know what we were picking out other than they were wheats and not memorials.
    for dad i guess it was like quality time with the kids and we werent tearing up something.

• Options
    GooberGoober Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    This old miser lived between us and the creek we used to swim at. Us kids used to joke about him because ...well...he was old, scary, and miserly. Then one summer day his house burned to the ground along with him in it. Initially us younger kids were afraid to go near the place but then we heard stories of money in the mattresses and coins everywhere. I spent a day there with a JB Coffee can filling it with silver coins. Well, they were all charred but the gasoline dad gave me sure shined them up. My mother bought me a few different albums and that's where it all started. I was probably seven at the time. Then when I hit eight we had the bi-centennial and all those new coins came out and they sure did look cool.
    Prost!

Why step over the dollar to get to the cent? Because it's a 55DDO.
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing your memories Rob...your writing is a touching memorial to your Grandmother.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    Hey, a little PCGS-entombed silver is worth wading through a little saccharine, eh? image

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was a well written story. I love the part about the bullet hole laden 1948 Frankie keepsake. Sad to hear the house was torn down for a parking lot.

LM...you really need to post more of your coin stories.image
  • Options
    Alas....I do not remember which particular coin started me out. I do know it was a wheat penny & is still in my whitman album w/ many brothers. my wife has the book now (If I can find it I will post a pic). I was somewhere around 8 when I got the bug & began trying to fill the whitman. this is a task which is still uncompleted. 40 years ago it was easy enough to find old pennies & I soon had several from the teens along with many others. I had one of those numbers on wheels ink stamps & stamped all the unmarked holes with dates that went past 2000. a million years away for a 8 yr old. I was suprised to locate the album (along with a signed angels baseball) in an old box years back. Although I have gold & silver eagles, slabbed frankies & a myriad of other stuff (not too focused) the book is important to me & will go to my son some time in the future. He also likes to collect older coins though most of his are foreign. I have not bought a coin in probably a year but like all my other interests (toys, autographs, vinyl records, movie promo buttons, movie posters & more I probabaly will remember later ....theres that lack of focus again), it will rear it's ugly head again & I will hit ebay or a coin show or 2 and add to the hoard. I do not post regularly but read weekly & have been around a while. some good stories to read here. guess thats enough from me...thanks for the op. If by some chance I win I think I would give the merc to my son. If not I will have to hunt something down for him. good day & sharpe diem (seize the wrinkled dog). Gabbo
    nyuk, nyuk, nyuk...oh, wise guy huh!!!
  • Options
    my dad was a collector when he was younger. when i was very young, i discovered a cedar chest in my parents closet. my dad had complete blue binders of the wheaties, indians, nickels and dimes. unfortunatly someone stole that dime set later on. so anyway i would spend many hours going through that box. my favorite was 1905 $5 gold, passed down from his grandfather. we both spent alot of time looking through that box of coins. it brought us together. eventually that collection became mine. its something i would never give up. wish i could scan the coin, buts its in a safety deposit box.
  • Options
    LordM, this is the stuff that keeps me going in this hobby. It's so easy to become distracted, disgruntled and jaded in an endeavor that is so vast and often somewhat competetive. Thank you for a breath of fresh air and a reminder of the passion that will always keep me coming back for more.

A few years back I bought an absolute hell hole of a house because the one I bought only a short while before was winning the war I had declared on it. I needed a better place to live while I gutted and remodeled the first house so when my neighbors offered their shanty for sale for the meager sum of $1000 I jumped on it.

Naturally, when you buy a house for such an unbelievably low price it comes with a staggering laundry list of problems. This house was certainly no exception. The tar roof leaked so badly that one room of the house had to be written off as a total loss. There was no heat source of any kind (the kindly folks that sold me the place took the unvented space heaters with them when they left). The electrical service was the old knob and tube burn your house down while you sleep variety and only 30 amps. I set out quickly to fix the most demanding of the problems and after a few solid months of devoting every spare second I was able to move in to what was now essentially a fully appointed hunting cabin.

After about a month of living in my shot gun shack I had settled in as well as could be managed. For the price I would certainly never complain, but after doing a bit of cosmetic work (tearing out all of the old carpet and slathering on SIX coats of Kills in every room of the house) the place was actually getting almost comfortable. The only thing that bothered me (beyond the extreme cold caused by the combination of rickety windows, sparse heating and and a total lack of insulation) was the fact that there wasn't a single level spot in the whole house because the "foundation" was just a pile of broken pieces of shale the builders had dug from the hillside. Undaunted, I bought a few trailer jacks and went downstairs to see what could be done.

Most amusement parks have an old attraction that people generally refer to as a funhouse. Some have catchy names to go along with their bright colors, mirrors and flashing lights, but the one thing they definitely all have in common is that they are built to be so slanty as to throw you off balance when you stroll through. My house was that dramatically out of kilter. It pitched and swayed so much that while I was in the basement setting up those jacks in the the spots I figured would do the least structural damage I spotted a small tin on top of one of the floor joists.

When I retrieved it I found that is was your run of the mill mint tin and it didn't appear to be very old. I popped it open anyway and was floored by what I found - an 1875 CC half dollar. I wasn't even a casual collector at the time, so I had no knowledge about what I had found. Indeed I was naive enough that I briefly entertained the notion that my find might be a significant windfall. With profit in mind I took to the internet.

Of course my coin didn't turn out to be worth a fortune (it later graded VF30 at ANACS), but my interest in numismatics took hold quickly because of that coin. I guess you could say that while the coin didn't make me any richer, it did end up enriching my life.

Unfortunately my "discovery" coin came up missing some time ago. I may have lost it while moving or it may have been stolen by an unscrupulous acquaintance, but I can't find it. I hope it turns up somewhere because there's just no replacing a coin like that.
  • Options
    "CC half in a shotgun shack" is a helluva tale. Bravo! image

PS- too bad it wasn't an 1870-CC in VF30. That would've paid for the shotgun shack, and then some!

I paid fifty bucks for an 1870-CC half, once (back in the 1980s). It was a FR02 with an old yellow tape stain across the reverse. But, fifty bucks for an 1870-CC half, well, that's something to talk about, even if the coin was ugly.

• Options
    TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, when I saw the XXX, I started thinking beer.
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Options
    Hm. When I saw "TavernTreasures", I thought about metal detecting around old colonial taverns. So I guess we're even.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    30 years? Man, you are old image

Seriously though, probably about my age image ....

Anyway, my grandmother had given me a few coins as well....VG-VF mercs. I think the one that started me off, originally, was an 1881 IHC. It was OLD. I was entranced by such an old penny!!!
    Looking back (it got lost in a few moves), it was probably a VF. I liked it though. So old. So cool.

Grandma also gave all us kids a 1922 Peace dollar (year of her birth) but ours got stolen by a neighborhood kid/thief image
    So, when my uncle was getting out of coins a few years ago, as I was getting back into them, I traded/bought his 1921-1922-1923 Peace dollars in memory of Grandma. They are tucked away for my son's collection as I don't care for the Peace dollar designs and don't feel like selling them (MS64-MS64-MS65).

Seems Grandmas were the instigator to a few of us collections image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    I was also drawn into the hobby by a 40 year old coin, but this was in 1993 and in the parking lot of a Chinese restaurant. It looked like just another "penny" until I turned it over.

The trolley car was missing!

I showed it to my mom who had collected coins around the Bicentennial and she soon hooked me up with my first Red Book and Whitman album. The coin turned out to be a 1953 S, though only in AG. Someone else will have to provide the scan since I put it back in circulation (after upgrading to an EF) hoping it would inspire another collector.
    "Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options
    About 12+ years ago I was hanging out with a friend of mine at the apartment complex we lived in and I happened to look down on the ground at the edge of the parking lot and found a 1943 steel cent. I picked it up and showed my friend and he was immediatly convinced that it was fake due to the color. This was a long time before I became a serious collector, but that was the first coin I kept as a collectable and I still have that steelie in my paltry collection today. image

- -

Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
  • Options
    cool story of your first coin experience....mine was simple: the 1976 Bicentennial fever hit NYC, I was 10 and my dad bought me the silver uncirculated set . I think he saw an ad in the paper and he ordered it from there...Of course everyday I would go to the local store and see if they had any of the new quarters in...I still get a great feeling when I get one in change these days...heres the original set my father gave me close to 30 years ago..... cool thread Lord M imageimage
  • Options
    My grandmother got me into collecting too. She used to buy huge bags of wheat cents and my brother and I would search through the thousands of cents looking for the 1909 S VDB. We never found one, but that is what got me started.
  • Options
    A V nickel given to me by an old general store clerk in the late 1970s sparked my interest in coins.
    After that my grandparents gave me some buffalos and mercs.
    From then on I was hooked.
    Then my grandmother gave me a 1982 Washington commemorative half.
    Now I am a commemorativeholic.
    End of story...
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    My Mother had a Blue Whittman lincoln cent folder and every year when the new cent showed up she would pull it out and fill a hole. She also had a little sack of other coins, 5 Indian heads, a V nickel, Barber dime and a hand full of foreign coins. The sack also contained 4 Silver dollars. She said that they belonged,one each, to us kids. She was holding them since our birth, a gift from her father. My grandfather worked for the post office and when I was 11 he passed on and left a huge stamp collection to my older brother. I decided I needed my own collection and chose coins because I always liked my moms coins. After a bit, when Mom saw that I was serious about collecting she gave me the 1889 Morgan dollar she was holding for me and also the sack with the other coins. It was a huge boost to my collection. Kinda made it legit. I showed them off to friends and family. My Grandmother on my Dads side boosted my collection with a 1928S Walker Half a few months later. They all became part of a type set that I needed to get my Coin Collecting merit badge from the Boy scouts.(Only badge I ever earned) I still have them all.
  • Options
    CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greatly written story, LordM!

Fullhorn, from these boards, actually got me started collecting just a few years ago. Looking through his collection of buffalo nickels and seeing his excitement was all it took. And then I remembered that I had a silver eagle somewhere and when I found it again I was on the hunt! I never knew there were such things as "coin shows" and coin stores. And ebay and these boards gave me an excuse to keep looking and learning late into the night.

I still have my silver eagle.....somewhere.....I think....
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Great story LordM! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My love for the Peace dollar started on a Thanksgiving day. This is the beginning of an article I wrote and is on the Heritage website. To read the entire article go to their website.

"Thanksgiving day 1970 is the day I first sat my eyes upon her. My uncle had brought her to dinner and I was in awe of her elegance, grace and beauty. Knowing I had to have her as my own, I called my uncle to the side and had a man to man talk with him. Me, being a young man of twelve, and my uncle being a worldly man in his forties, he introduced me to her and there my infatuation began.

Excitement and questions buzzed in my head; when and where was she born were my first two questions. This beautiful woman, my uncle and I sat down and had a long talk. She had been born in 1921, a result of the Treaty of Versailles which ended World War I. My appetite and thirst for knowledge about her had just begun and has never ceased!

You may be asking who this beautiful, graceful, elegant woman with the flowing hair was. She was Anthony de Francisci's Peace dollar..."

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    My father owned a service station for many years. He of course had a ton of money travel through his hands in daily commerce. He had the forsight in the late 60s and early 70s to pull all silver out. All of it went into a large 10 gallon jug he kept hidden in a closet. When I was probably about 8 or so I discovered this jug full of silver and proceeded to look through it. The prize that got me going I think was at the bottom of the jug, was a 1922 Peace dollar (hole and all). That was all she wrote, my parents encouraged my hobby and bought me a Red Book and with my dad's business I had all the change I wanted to go through.

• Options
    The coin I remember was Smooth on one side and had just the outline of a liberty head--no date :-(
    I found it in a small park in NYC.That was in the early "1960". The park is the highest natural point on Manhattan island.
    The coin was on top of the dirt. It had been walked on for many years. Looked like a washer to me.
    I picked it up to chuck it off the field where we were playing football.
    That is when I turned it over and could see the outline of the liberty head on a SLIVER DOLLAR :-)

I had that coin for many years..:-( Don't know what happened to it.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭
    I remember going through an old cigar box half full of "super old" coins my dad had. Mercs, Buffs, Silver quarters (oh my gosh, silver?!!) I'm only 28 now, will be 29 on the 29th of this month, but I was astounded at the vastness of his "collection" At least a hundred or so coins. I think I wore them down to AG condition looking at all the almost everyday!! He even had some old bubled up silver coins that were in the glove compartment in an old burned up car. To an 8 year old, that was neat. I remember the "V" nickles and Buffalo nickels were my favorite just because they looked like they were ancient. 1936? 1911??!! WOW, how old!! Well, enough of this.......I gotta go look through them coins one more time!...........wes
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    When I was about 7 years old, I got an Ike dollar, and a Kennedy half from my Birth year from my grandmother. I was excitd becaue I had never seen either of these coins before! How amazing they were. This started the ball rolling. I began asking around to see if any of my other relatives had special coins like these. Before the week was up, I had acquired a Susan B, a few wheat cents, and even a buffalo nickel! I was happy. Thanks Grama!

Thanks Lord M for the entry.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Interestingly, the first significant coin that really "hooked" me on coin collecting came from my grandmother, too.

When I was 6 or 7 years old (had to outrun dinosaurs on the way to school image ) I would find Mercs and Indians in change on a regular basis, so they were no big deal. My parents were out of town for a long weekend when I was about 10 and my brother and I were staying with our grandmother. I'm not sure what happened to bring up the subject, but I was showing her a small handful of Mercs and Indians I carried in my pocket. She said she thought she had an old coin and told me to wait while she looked for it. She wandered around her house for a short time looking puzzled (as all of us old farts can at times image ) and then went to a bookcase in her small den and grabbed a small wooden box off the top shelf. She sort of rattled it, handed it to me and said, "it sounds like there's more than one coin in there", (which it did) and told me I could keep whatever was in there, but she wanted the box back. My younger brother had no interest in coins, but my grandmother told me I had to let him have one coin because they used to belong to her mother (our great grandmother) who had died the previous year.

I opened the box. The first thing that caught my eye was the most beautiful old tarnished silver coin I had ever seen. It was a 1926-s Oregon Trail Commemorative Half Dollar (Unc. for certain). I had never seen anything like it before and was completely awed by the gorgeous thing. That was the one coin that hooked me, and I've been a collector off and on ever since.

The other coins in that little box included a large cent (ugly old copper thing that didn't interest me at the time) which I gave to my brother, and a Barber quarter, Barber dime, and some other worn silver coins from foreign countries - I don't remember where though.

I'd love to say that I still have the Oregon, but I don't. I was nearly broke in my early twenties and had to sell my small collection at the time to pay for little luxuries like rent and food. I've looked for a nice 26-s Oregon off and on since.

As an aside, I was young, stupid, and liked coins to be shiny, so I grabbed the bottle of that pink stuff that cleans silver and ... Yeah, that particular Oregon wouldn't be worth much now because of my cleaning image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    TCoinsTCoins Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Its funny how special people in your life can have lasting impressions.

My coin collecting started with my Grandmother. She was a bank teller in the 60's, 70's and 80's. She would occasionally bring home coins that she saw come through her bank. She was a woman of very little means and the coins she could afford were split between six grandchildren. The coins I received were immediately cherished. I would love to go through them and when I was around 12, I went to a hobby store and purchased 2x2 holders for my "awesome" collection. I can't say that any one coin started the addiction, but Grandma seemed to have an eye for Franklins. I still have those Franklins, in a box still in their 2x2 holders. All of them are heavily circulated but are as priceless to me today as they were 30 years ago.
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    My interest into coin collecting started when the first bicentennial coins were released- it was either in 1975 or 1976 (so I was either 8 or 9 years old), my Dad stood in line at the local bank (during his lunch break from work) to get some of the first coins they had. I think he gave me all three that day- quarter,half and dollar- or maybe it was just the two and the dollar later. I still have the quarter and half- of all things I drilled a hole in them and made a key chain out of them image . Later that year I found an old red book from 1967 that my older brothers must of had- along with their empty whitman folders that once contained many coins they had got from their paper routes and later spent. I couldn't afford to save much else on my allowance except wheat pennies, many of my aunts and uncles let me search their change jars and I assembled quite a few. then one day my dad gave me a 1939 Mercury dime he got in change on the way home from work- and I was really hooked. As I got older I started mowing neighbors lawns and other odd jobs to make some money-most of it I put into buying coins that were being sold by an older gentlemen at a local flea market. I built a decent wheat collection (no keys of course), completed the jeffersons (mainly from circulation) and worked hard on the Mercury dimes for years (just wished I would have bought the 16-D then- its a whole I have yet to fill). The 1939 is still in my set-it was in pretty nice shape (XF or so) except for being a little dark.
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    The coin that started my fascination with world gold issues was the 20 francs French 'Angel'. This fabled coin has a rich history behind it. It was said that Napolean always carried one, except for the battle of Waterloo which was his demise. Also, Hermann Goring rounded up (stole) thousands of these to give to his Ace pilots for good luck after they won a certain amount of aerial victories. Personally, I bought mine in the mid-90s while serving in the US Marine Corps. I loved that coin, and only sold it due to the fact that I had to raise money for a holiday trip with friends. I kicked myself for selling the coin, but Marines don't earn too much money, and I really needed the trip away. I would like to get another, but would prefer to get the 100 franc version which really emphasizes the design of the coin on a much larger scale.

nice giveaway Lord M!

Doug
  • Options
    My start came from an 1889 Morgan Dollar. My dad had apparently pulled it from circulation 30-40 years ago somehow (the story gets fuzzy there). When he showed me that coin, I really liked the feel of a big hunk of silver in my hand. So, I started to look on ebay, buy some books, and do whatever else I could to learn more about coins, including joining this forum. Now I have three more Morgans and quite a few other coins that my mom had kept from when she worked at a bank. Now I'm still trying to figure out what exactly I like the best, and what I want to collect.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    LordM,

As I was reading your story I was thinking of this coin. My grandparents lived up in Buffalo, NY so I only saw them about once a year. Every time I visited, my grandmother would give me some money, usually paper dollars. But on one occasion she gave me this Morgan (I remember that I couldn't believe how old it was). She and my grandfather were tailors with a storefront connected to the house, so I'm sure she got it at face value in payment for services and saved it. While I'm sure I had already started to collect coins (I got the bug from my father), it was a big addition to my collection. As for my grandfather, he never gave me any collectable coins, but I remember that he let us keep the change which we used when he taught us how to play poker. (Needless to say, I miss them both.)

Thanks for sharing your story.

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Like some of the others on this board, my Grandmother got me started. She was my Dad's mother. My Grandfather had died shortly before I was born. He had a tremendous coin collection. He not only collected old coins, he also collected every silver coin he could find when they took them out of circulation. My first "real" coin was a 1964 dime. Actually about 10 of them. Shortly thereafter, the silver boon of the late 70's happened and I was able to trade all but one of those dimes for lots of copper and nickel coins. The dimes helped finance my coin collecting quite a bit. I still have one of those dimes she gave me and all the coins the profits from the other dimes bought.

Jonathan
    I have been a collector for over mumbly-five years. I learn something new every day.
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Nice story and giveaway Rob.

Well it’s pretty much like Rob said but I’ll go a little farther. At least I think it went kind of like this.

I was in the third grade, and I was born in 64 so it was around 71-72. I was an avid marble player. Lots of kids played then and marbles were an item of barter, a unit of wealth you could say. In the few years I played I’d gather much wealth. I’d go to school with six or seven and return with a bulging pockets. Even carried a special bag in the fourth grade. Of when I found the slingshot, ammo was the least of my problems.

Well anyways, this one day I strolled over to the big kids playground to take on the 4th-6th graders. The game was chase and it took place in the open grass of the football field. I don’t recall get beaten so I must have been winning enough to keep going through the lunch period. I win this round just before the bell and the kid doesn’t give me the marble he was shooting with, but another and runs off laughing. It turned out to be a half a marble and not worth my keeping. So I casually shoot it over my shoulder and start the long walk back to class.

Then, way off behind me I heard a soft ‘Dingggg’. I turn around and nobody there. My pee brain starts thinking and I start looking for that half a green flippin marble I just launched. About ten feet away I catch a sparkle of silver in the grass. It turned out to be a Merc dime. Not only was I amazed at this old coin but the odds of hitting it, then finding it. I may still have it along with all the other coins I start collecting after that, but it was more the odds that really got me.

A few years later in the 6th grade I was walking home across that same field, pondering that marble day, watching the grass go by like I’d done so many times on my walks home, and I spotted a gold class ring in the grass.

I posted a tiny 3x5 card stating ‘Ring Found’ with my phone number, near the dugouts. Got a lot of calls before someone described it. It turned out to have been a teachers and I got a reward of $20
    Two years later that man became my English teacher. Also turns out an older bully down my street had stolen that mans fancy army knife years earlier. So I got in the bully’s car one night and took in back. Then returned it to my teacher. Totally amazed, he ask what my hobbies were, I said ‘coins’. A few days later he give me a dozen cents from the teens, and of course passed my failing ass.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool giveawayimage

thanx

jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options

<< <i>My father owned a service station for many years. He of course had a ton of money travel through his hands in daily commerce. He had the forsight in the late 60s and early 70s to pull all silver out. All of it went into a large 10 gallon jug he kept hidden in a closet. When I was probably about 8 or so I discovered this jug full of silver and proceeded to look through it. The prize that got me going I think was at the bottom of the jug, was a 1922 Peace dollar (hole and all). That was all she wrote, my parents encouraged my hobby and bought me a Red Book and with my dad's business I had all the change I wanted to go through.

image >>

Hey!!! No fair using a pic of a holey to influence the judge!!!! image

Anyway, my story is when I was about 7, I saw my first Whitman penny folder in a book store and pestered my mom to get it for me and every time anyone came into the house with a pocket full of change, I always demanded the pennies to see if any would fill the holes in my folder. Eventually I expanded into Jeffies and Buffs. Once in a while someone would toss an AG silver dollar my way, and that was about the greatest thing in the world to me. I kept a lot of them in an old tin cigar box my dad got for me because I always had more coins than I had holders at any one time. I thought everyone who collected coins did so from pocket change. I wasn't aware yet that there was a whole hobby built around it with dealers and grading and huge collections like the Eliasberg. Something like that would have been beyond my comprehension then. The first time I noticed a coin magazine on the shelf wasn't for a few more years and the grading scale in the back stopped at 65, so for a long time I thought that's all there was. I never knew grades 66-70 existed. It wasn't until I started working that I was able to start buying silver issues, so I bought (you guessed it) a Whitman album for Frankies and started filling it with VF/XF/AU coins. I have a short attention span, though, so a new collecting interest always drew my attention away before I ever completed any sets. Now that we have ebay, it's even worse. Casual browsing at the wee hours can cause me to go off on several tangents at the same time, and of course I can't keep up with all of them, so I fill sets in a very haphazard fashion. So that's pretty much my story. Who's next??
  • Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    It was back in 1982 that my father gave me a Kennedy half. I liked the coin and the very next day went to dinner at a place where the lady asked me about my hobby. On telling her my new one, I got two large George V coppers in BU condition (I cleaned both of them as well as the half laterimageimage ) and still have them!
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭
    The year was 1971 and my dad let me tag along for a trip to the bank - specifically to his safety deposit box. Whilest he was rifling through the papers and such, he gave me an old coth bag with coins inside that he had saved as a kid in the 1930's and 1940's - probabaly 30 Morgan/Peace dollars, barber and walking liberty halves, barber and SLQ's, Merc dimes, silver war nickels and buffalo's, probably 300 1943 pennies, and some indians to. I'd never seen coins that looked like these - especially the $1's which were large and heavy. My dad wouldn't let me take any of them but my head was filled with new ideas. Guess my my dad picked up on my interest as shortly thereafter, the infamous CC hoard GSA auctions started and we filled out several bids.....ended up receiving a 78CC, and 80-85CC inclusive - most for about $25 each. I remember when they came - it was a long time after we'd sent in the bid forms - they were the most magnificant things I had ever seen. By then, I was industriously working on a circulated lincoln set, having discovered the coin shop in my town. Whole bunch of memories there to - having to get being buzzed in, all the coins - especially gold coins! Took me until 1976 to save enough money but I finally bought a 1924 St Gaudens for $126.......by far the most expensive coin I owned (even more than the $40 1914-D penny in VF and the Unc 1909-S).......

Most of those coins are long gone but the memories remain......
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Robertson: Great story! For me it began in 1968. My grandmother had an old pennyboard of book #1 wheat cents. It was a complete set less the 09SVDB all taken from circulation. I used to look at it alll the time. She also had many other coins and encouraged me all the way. She had what I thought was the coolest 1964 Kennedy in a Capital Plastics Holder. She told me that I could have it when I turned 16. I still have it but it's at the bank. I wish she were alive today to see what she created! She was the best.
  • Options
    Great story LordM.. touching on many levels.

coins i remember receiving were from Dad. He was the type of collector that rarely bought, but worked angles and promotions to get what he had. We were poor. In fact, if he were alive today. He'd probably be sitting here telling his story trying to win that merc dime.

So when one of those lake development things, popular back in the 70's invited our family to come and tour we always went for whatever the promotion. Sometimes it was a tv, other times a watch, but you always got rewarded for the complete waste of time.
    It's a shame we went around like this, never intending to buy, but looking back i got to see and do some refined things in life that i never would have gotten to do any other way.

One of them we went to rewarded everyone with a roll of ike dollars. Dad always carried a handkerchief in his front shirt pocket. Available for cuts, sweat, tears or anything else that might happen. He wrapped them ike dollars up in it and that's how they sit today. All 71 and 72 clad uncirculateds. I can almost see the smile on his face wrapping them things up and tying them baby's off like he'd jsut walked out with a double eagle.
  • Options
    TTT

Silver in a burnt-out miser's shack, a freak find resulting from a one-in-a-million marble toss, a Carson City Seated half beneath a shotgun shack, a giant potmetal "Franklin half" coaster, a holey Peace dollar at the bottom of a ten-gallon jug, and lots of generous grandparents and parents.

The stories have been more interesting than I expected. Keep 'em comin'. image

It's almost a good thing that the prize will be awarded randomly, since I would have a hard time picking out what the most interesting or entertaining story was.

• Options
    great story, I wish I had a good one like that but. mine would be back in 1999 I know not to long ago my Dad and me started to collect coins togther. But he passed away at the age or 50 from cancer. After he passed away I stop collecting coin because the memory of him was so hard because we were so close. So Now I was unpacking some thing after my last daughter was born and I found my sons proof set from 2001. it was the last coin set my dad had bought before his passing. So finding that brought back the desire to collect. But when I started collecting I had no idea how main different coins the US made since before my collecting was just stuff from the mint site. But when I first started collecting again I feel in love with the Mercury dime. I have put together a set of dime execpt for the 1916-D. But I have found a coin to be a blast to collect and learn about. So my story is not great just why I am collecting again.

Thank you
  • Options
    dcamp78dcamp78 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    The coin that sparked my interest in collecting was a square nickel.
    My cousin, Fred, had come back from being on tour during the
    Vietnam War. I had always liked Fred and when he saw me he
    said that he had something for me.
    He reaches in his pocket and gives me a square nickel. I thought
    it was a joke, but he told me it was real, just from another country.
    I almost threw it away several times because I thought it was play
    money. After I got a little bit older I looked at the coin with a
    magnifying glass. It was definitely a real coin. They don't make
    play money with that kind of detail.
    I put it in my treasure box. I had collected junk from all over the
    place. You know... rocks, shells, coins, bottle caps, etc.
    I carried those treasures with me to Atlanta, Dallas and back to Ohio.
    Finally, about 2 years ago I was going through some of my 'stuff'
    and noticed that I had accumulated quite a few other coins over
    the years. I started organizing them... and I still am. The square
    nickel was later determined to be a 1940 Netherland 5 Cents coin.
    It is still in my collection, as it will always be.
    Thanks cousin Fred!
    Big Dave
    -------------------------
    Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
    Good sale to: Nicholasz219
  • Options
    Lord M...Congratulations on 30 years of coin collecting. image

My interest in coin collecting began in 1978 with a folder of 30 dimes given to me by my grandfather.

See My first post...updated with pics.

Ken

My first post...updated with pics

I collect mostly moderns and I'm currently working on a US type set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file