Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1878-S Long Nock Morgan Dollar - Need HELP

Found this yesterday. Trying to attribute, but I can't seem to match any die markers.

There's a small raised horizontal line between the eagle's legs (viewer's right side). No mention of this marker anywhere.
The 4th right star is dented, but not broken off. Does this make it a VAM 72?

Grade?
Value?

obverse scan
reverse scan

Comments

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nesvt: The top photo sure makes it look like a long nock to me, however I'll defer to the Morgan variety experts regarding the specific diagnostics.

Good Find!!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    Congrats on your Longnock. Looks like a nice one. image
    Wayne
  • Options
    The only one I see that has a mint mark like that is the VAM 27, is the denticle above the S in states broken? I don't believe it's the VAM 72 since the polishing line(s) need to be on the eagle's right, not the viewer's right. The 1878-S book says the diagonal line is to the left & right of the eagle's right leg above the claws.
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    I don't have a 72 to compare, but looks like what I would expect in one.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options

<< <i>is the denticle above the S in states broken? >>

Nope. They're normal. Not sure what I have.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF30 (and maybe 35) in my opinion, and a great cherrypick as a result. Probably worth $400-$500 in a PCGS holder.

Going by the weak top of the I in LIBERTY and the slight doubling of the L, plus the notch in the top left star 'arm', I'd say it's a VAM 57. My PCGS-attributed example appears to have all the same characteristics.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Thanks Dennis. I'm marking it "VAM 57". Though the grading and attribution fees will be over three times what I paid for the coin, I'll probably send it off to PCGS anyway.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file