Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Yet Another Coin Collection in Nebraska

Link to Museum

Coin Room

Featuring historic and rare coins from around the world, the Coin Room began as the result of a donation from the extensive personal collection of Ben Richards and has grown to include several hundred pieces today.

It appears that coin collecting was strong and well a few years ago in the Mid-Western states! Read on...in my own words.

If you ever get to south central Nebraska, you need to check out the Coin Room located in the Hastings Museum just off Burlington Ave. Off to the right side of the entrance there ia a huge vault door, swung open, revealing panel after panel, lined up on the walls on the inside of the vault US coins. (each panel swings on hinges so you can see both sides) There must be at least 50 panels (3' tall by 3' wide) that have real coins behind lucite windows with all the coins markings on little tabs below the coin. There are coins from every regular US issue with some in complete series, even the rarer dates. There is a complete Morgan Dollar set with a Carson City in DMPL condition sitting in that bunch. That CC stood out like a diamond...just dazzling. I don't remember the exact date, there is way too much information to absorb when looking at thousands of coins like this. If you love coppers from large cents to Lincoln's, nickels from Liberty to Jefferson, Dimes from Barber to Roosevelt, halves from Seated to Franklins, Dollars from Bust, Trade, Barber, Morgan & Peace...this out of the way place holds some nice little veiwable treasures.

There is also paper money displayed, colonial script, all the colored seals in all the denominations, up to a 1000 dollar bill. For the really rare and scarce coinage, there were cut out paper pictoral dies placed in the hole to represent the coin. I was a little concerned that a lot of the coins appeared to have been glued to the internal boards, can't really tell for sure. To me, that can't be good for museum conservation, so I asked but no one there at the time could answer my question. There are 1000's of coins...I was awe struck at the vast holdings in this vault room sitting in the middle of the corn belt and I do mean corn, it's everywhere. I can't believe I did not take any pictures inside the coin room, but I did get a picture of the WWII 6" deck gun outside the museum and no, it's not pointed at the vault.

For you gun nuts, the basement floor has 1000's of antique fire arms...row after row after row, military, sport, rare, flintlock, percussion, ammo, a plethera of smooth bore and rifled bore fire arms. There are antique fire engines in the building, they had to have these in place and then build around them.

Hastings, Nebraska is 20 miles south of Grand Island just off I-80
Hastings is also the birth place of Kool-Aid, I did not know that.image
Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file