Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin photography tips and how-to

stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
Here is a good article on coin photography Link. The article has some good information for beginning coin photographers, and it's also worthwhile to look at the section on photographing jewelry. Elsewhere on the site (Here) they point out that the wattage of a light bulb is a measure of how much power it draws not how much light it puts out. Light is measured in lumens not watts, and some of the low wattage fluorescent bulbs put out more light and a lot less heat than standard bulbs. There are some advanced techniques they don't cover, but overall it's a good starting point.
Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?

Comments

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Some good information and tips there.
    Thanks for the link !!! image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    AZLARRYAZLARRY Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Good read, thanks for posting.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    While it was/is very nice for you to share this link, the website and the information therein leaves a bit to be desired. In addition to faulty information regarding color casts, bulb type, and exposure compensation, much of the information is geared towards the point-and-shoot cameras rather than those with more functionality. Mgoodm3's tutorials are much better and more accurate, and he has no ulterior motive trying to sell you anything...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    We own the tabletop studio. We don't like it and are going to switch to something else. Thus sayeth the Wife who takes the pictures.
  • Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    <<In addition to faulty information regarding color casts, bulb type, and exposure compensation, much of the information is geared towards the point-and-shoot cameras rather than those with more functionality.>>

I would be interested in the specifics of what you find faulty, and is it fact or personal opinion?
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Options

<< <i>While it was/is very nice for you to share this link, the website and the information therein leaves a bit to be desired. In addition to faulty information regarding color casts, bulb type, and exposure compensation, much of the information is geared towards the point-and-shoot cameras rather than those with more functionality. Mgoodm3's tutorials are much better and more accurate, and he has no ulterior motive trying to sell you anything...Mike >>

fixed link
    (had one too many "http://")

Thanks image
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We own the tabletop studio. We don't like it and are going to switch to something else >>

Tom,
    Was the copy stand at least o.k? I thinking about picking one up.
    Gil
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>We own the tabletop studio. We don't like it and are going to switch to something else >>

Tom,
    Gil >>

Hi Gil, actually the Wife thinks its too small
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Tom,
    Gil >>

Here's a good entry level copy stand that will work for up to 12".

Here's one that is a bit taller and more expensive.

Here's a top-of-the-line one with a nice set of lights with reflectors..

I can vouch for the last two products as being first rate, and have a friend who uses the first.

Hope this helps...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Mike and Tom,

Got get working on imaging my coins.
  • Options
    SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭
    Great info, thanks for the links.image
    Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    I appreciate the links but have to agree with Mike that the articles by Mark (mgoodm3) are some of the best to found on the boards.

His tips were so good that I have some of the better pics to be found. I just pay Mark to image my coins for me. image

He does (along with several others here) great work. He isn't happy with the pic until you are.

He has a book about coin photography coming out hopefully in the near future that I am looking forward to reading.

-------------

etexmike

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file