Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

AUCTION MANIA!!! A STAGGERING sale of a 1921 Saint!@? This could get very interesting!

Last night B&M sold this PCGS 1921 MS63 Saint for $1.495 MILLION!! The price should have been in the $250K range. An MS66 is worth about $1.1-1.25MM. This coin is NOT remotely an MS66 or even MS65...

It is not a typo. I watched the sale as it opened at ~$250 and just kept on going! I would love to see what the CF has to say about this!

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    Insanity...

It looks very 63 no doubt.

What do you think, Mr. Bigglesworth?
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I don't know, I would love to see it in person or at the least, larger photos. It looks like it could upgrade with a dip. But, not that far image

No doubt there were a few bidiots fighting it out.
  • Options
    is it too late to retract my 1.495 million bid?.........................image
    imageDo not taunt Happy Fun Ball image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    okay there must be something special I am missing on this coin... what is it ?

why would anyone pay that sorta money for a lady with one arm ?
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    . In fact, overall smooth-looking features would probably have secured an even higher grade were the mint finish a bit more vibrant in sheen.

From the auction description. Looks like it's destined for a bath.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    Hmmm. The obverse is very clean hit-wise.

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    I can NOT believe that!!! I looked at it, and first thought it was real nice but then took a harder look and thought it had a "funny" color to it, and was "rubbed". Gold expert David Akers was with me, and he said the color was "not like any other 1921 I have seen". (He would know).

The pic on this thread does not show what I am talking about.

That price to me is - who knows anymore!!!!image
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Damn! Somebody already scarfed up all eight examples for their WS portfolio.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

Maybe a lottery winner???

Maybe someone who was desperate to fill a difficult hole in their set???

Or someone who wanted to be a famous idiot???
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not being into this series- is there something possibly about this coin that makes it special-- a variety ????
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    The Pop. on the 1921 Saint at the Big Two combined is 17 coins in MS63, 5 in MS64, 2 in 65 and only 1 in 66.Only the 27-D is rarer in Choice condition and there are more 27-D's in Gem condition(1/65,4/66's and 1/67) then 21's.Still I would have to agree that someone overpaid a little.
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    -- "No doubt there were a few bidiots fighting it out." --

I think I recognized the high bidder on the floor, but I'm not sure. Maybe I could find a photo of him.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can only imagine that 2 "geniuses" figured it for a 65 upgrade following a bath. Are there shills for this much money?

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug Winter recently wrote about the 1921 Saint on his website:

The fourth and final coin in our discussion of 20th century gold issues is the rarest, although it is not necessarily the best known. Although some experts might disagree, I would rank the 1921 as the rarest Philadelphia double eagle of this design. Unlike its closest competitor the 1932, the 1921 is most often seen in the AU55 to MS61 range and it is extremely rare in MS64 and above.

The true rarity of this date was not known to the early generation of St. Gaudens double eagle collectors. Back in the day, the issues that were most actively sought were the mintmarked coins from the mid-1920’s. But hundreds of these were eventually located in Europe and in all grades below MS64; most of these coins are now only moderately scarce. Unlike dates such as the 1924-D, 1925-S and 1926-S, the 1921 was not exported to Europe. The “story behind the story” of the 1921 is very interesting and the true rarity of this date can be better understood when this is discussed.

Two things conspired to make the 1921 double eagle a rare coin. The first was that most of the mint’s production capacity and efforts in 1921 went towards silver dollars. Millions of Morgan Dollars were produced after a near-two decade hiatus and these were followed by the new Peace Dollar which was a complex, hard to produce High Relief design. Secondly, the United States economy in 1921 was going through a post-World War One slump which would continue until the middle part of the decade. Few gold coins were circulating in the early 1920’s and there was not a great deal of demand for double eagles in 1921. As a result, many of the 528,500 1921 double eagles that were struck were melted.

In addition to being rare because of mass meltings, this issue is rare because of the way it was produced. The 1921 is among the worst struck St. Gaudens double eagles and it is generally seen with poor luster. This shoddy level of workmanship meant that most examples were of inferior quality before they were produced. Coupled with the fact that the survivors tend to show heavy marks from rough handling and copious hairlines from numismatic abuse, the 1921 is among the rarest dates of this type in the higher Uncirculated grades.

It is likely that somewhere in the area of 60-80 examples are known. The PCGS and NGC population figures are both inflated with the AU58 and MS62 numbers showing the greatest number of resubmissions due to attempts to garner upgrades. The 1921 becomes an extremely rare coin in MS63 and above. There are probably no more than four to six known that grade MS63 or higher.

In 2005, I had the honor of handling the finest known 1921 double eagle. At Heritage’s Morse sale, my ex-partner and I purchased a PCGS MS66 example for $1,092,500. At the same sale, an MS65 example sold for $805,000 while and MS64 realized $402,500. Today, all three of these coins have been placed in prominent collections where they will, no doubt, remain for many years.

If any other high grade 1921 double eagles become available for sale, I would expect to see them sell for record prices. This is one 20th century issue whose rarity can not be disputed and it seems highly unlikely that any hoard or accumulations of this date are going to appear at any time in the future.
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    OK....here's the "scoop" as it's unraveling. No question it was a very well-struck coin (the 1921's are generally the weakest struck of the series) , and as Mr. Lloyd Mincemeat said, it did have a very strange color that concerned many of the experts. However, they felt that the coin could have the questionable coloring safely dipped off, but what does that give you?

THIS: This coin is being speculated to be "one of ONE documented" "assay proofs", however the only one recognized as such sold in 2000.... no one seemed to catch this coin being a suspect proof over the years. It was slabbed MS, B&M never questioned the issue, and frankly, even if it is a proof it's still an outrageous price. And there is no guarantee that it will regrade PROOF. Proving a proof (image, cool, huh? ) is not going to be easy. It doesn't have a wire edge that is so prevalent with proof Saints. This is going to get VERY interesting!

Even if the coin IS a proof, I'd take an MS65 over a PF63 anyday...so the valuation is absurd in my opinion; I think this coin, even though very rare, is a $1.5 million albatross even though it's certainly got a mid six figure value.

RYK...ask Doug what he thought about this coin. He saw it.

Stay tuned coin buffs. This is a story unfolding before your eyes. image

• Options
    Mark...No, but I DO know of the one that sold in June, 2000 for $200K to a dealer you're familiar with. It was recognized as an "assay proof". There is documentation of ONE PROOF minted in 1921, inoted in "US GOLD COINS", Garrett and Guth, p.515. This would be consistent with the Peace Dollars that were minted in proof that year.

Having not heard anything subsequent to the sale of the coin you're referring to I'd assume that it was a MS coin and not a proof. No 1921 proof sainta has been graded by any TPG.

And for the record, I am not saying that I believe this is a proof, but that this is the reason the buyer and bidders ran it up so high. 2
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Concensus at the coin dealer poker game was that the coin had matte surfaces indicative of a specimen and at least two bidders thought it was indeed a proof.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Great story. Will keep an eye on the events as they unfold. Appreciate It!
  • Options
    jpkinlajpkinla Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    Anyone want to pay me that price for my MS64? A full grade higher!

and a GREEN label to boot!

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story. Will keep an eye on the events as they unfold. Appreciate It!

I agree. Who would have thought that Saints could be interesting?! image
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    The following may add a little to the information on this subject:

1) In 1921 George Morgan prepared one satin proof double eagle as gift for Mint Director Raymond T. Baker. Apparently, this was done to curry favor with the director on the birth of his daughter, Gloria. (Baker’s wife was Margaret Emerson Smith Hollins McKim Vanderbilt, the widow of Alfred Vanderbilt who went down with the Lusitanian in 1915.) The coin remained with Baker’s heirs until the 1990s.
    2) A “satin proof” was made by using new dies, a very smooth planchet, and striking on a medal press. It has all the characteristics of a sandblast proof, except the post-striking sandblasting.
    3) The phrase “assay proof” refers to the high purity proofing gold used in assaying. It has no meaning in mint documents relating to proof coins as collectors commonly understand them.
    4) In early 1922 T. Louis Comparette, Curator of the Philadelphia Mint cabinet of coins provided 2 examples of the 1921 $20 to Robert Godard, Curator of the Mitchelson Collection and State Librarian for Connecticut. (Comparette on December 15, 1921: “Some [1921] double eagles are being struck here at the mint. On December 22: “…up till now I have not been able to secure the Double eagles. I confidently expect to succeed, however, though it may not be until the last days of the year. Then, finally, on January 3, 1922. “By express I am sending you two Double Eagles….”

Most of the 1921 $20s were held as reserve funds and not generally released to circulation.

The Morse coin was apparently the one Godard eventually obtained for himself. The Mitchelson example (somewhat better) is still in Connecticut.

PS: There is no connection between the 1921 $20 satin proof, and 1921 sandblast or satin proof Peace dollars. They were made at different times and for completely different purposes. (See "Renaissance of American Coinage 1916-1921" to learn more about the versions of Peace dollar proofs for 1921 and 1922.)
  • Options

<< <i>Concensus at the coin dealer poker game was that the coin had matte surfaces indicative of a specimen and at least two bidders thought it was indeed a proof. >>

Yes indeed they did. Some called them "questionably artificial surfaces", including Akers. High stakes poker anyone?image

New dealer...David Hall will be taking over guys. Good luck. image
  • Options
    It was NOT a proof specimen candidate.

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Who "bought" it?
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting information, especially from all of the Saint experts!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    I agree with Lloyd.

The best eyes in the biz never even hinted at it being a proof. Now, I'm told a prominent "expert" believes this coin to be a proof.

I believe this to be a saga that will probably prove to be a folly for the buyer.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Mitchelson example (somewhat better) is still in Connecticut. >>

I guess I'll sell some property and wait for this one.....image
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recall when Mr. Eureka and someone else were battling it out on a 1876-cc dime in a major dime collection in 1990 (Stack's?). The coin fetched $25,000 and I had it as a PL MS65 or something. I figured the buyer was nuts as it was no higher than a 65-66. Well it slabbed out as a branch mint proof. That explained it all. It was not catalogued as a proof either.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    4) In early 1922 T. Louis Comparette, Curator of the Philadelphia Mint cabinet of coins provided 2 examples of the 1921 $20 to Robert Godard, Curator of the Mitchelson Collection and State Librarian for Connecticut. (Comparette on December 15, 1921: “Some [1921] double eagles are being struck here at the mint. On December 22: “…up till now I have not been able to secure the Double eagles. I confidently expect to succeed, however, though it may not be until the last days of the year. Then, finally, on January 3, 1922. “By express I am sending you two Double Eagles….”

Most of the 1921 $20s were held as reserve funds and not generally released to circulation.

The Morse coin was apparently the one Godard eventually obtained for himself. The Mitchelson example (somewhat better) is still in Connecticut.

PS: There is no connection between the 1921 $20 satin proof, and 1921 sandblast or satin proof Peace dollars. They were made at different times and for completely different purposes. (See "Renaissance of American Coinage 1916-1921" to learn more about the versions of Peace dollar proofs for 1921 and 1922.)

Good post RWB. Let me update you on the current provenace of these two coins. The Mitchelson coin which was in CT. is now a PCGS MS65 in the DUCKOR collection. The Godard coin was purchased by the CT. owner in the Morse sale and is a PCGS MS66.

My reference to the Peace Dollar was simply to establish that proofs were being minted in Philadelphia, after a number of years of not producing any. There was no other implied connection.

The specimen in question here did not exhibit any satin finsh at all, and in fact, as I stated earlier, had very questionable coloration which the best of the best considered "suspect". I just do not think this was struck as a proof coin.

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I recall when Mr. Eureka and someone else were battling it out on a 1876-cc dime in a major dime collection in 1990 (Stack's?). The coin fetched $25,000 and I had it as a PL MS65 or something. I figured the buyer was nuts as it was no higher than a 65-66. Well it slabbed out as a branch mint proof. That explained it all. It was not catalogued as a proof either.

roadrunner >>

Was Mr Eureka the winner of that battle??
  • Options
    Of course the buyer will want to say and believe it is a proof. Just like CONtoursi believing after buying one of the best 1794 dollars, it must be the first one struck. Hey wait a minute - I think my PCGS 1955 DDO MS65RD cent was the FIRST ONE OUT OF THE PHILLY MINT!!! I'm calling David Hall on Monday!!!

• Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

Heck...anybody can get a Special Proof/Presentation designation these days...especially for $1.5Mimage
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    I would love to know where that coin came from.....I recently sold a MS63 to another dealer that looked very similar......Only difference is that I sold it for a lot less than the B & M number.....

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was NOT a proof specimen candidate.

I've seen the Sotheby's coin and another impaired specimen sold a couple of years ago, both of which I believe to be 95% convincing proofs. This piece is very, very similar in fabric. My opinion is that all three qualify as "special strikes", if not full satin proofs. This most recent piece should be graded PR or SP 64, but it could take quite a while to get a TPG to agree.

BTW, the jump to 63 to 64 is based on the fact for any given numeric grade, hairlines are more acceptable on proofs than on uncs. If I believed the coin to be a regular business strike, I'd say that 63 was the right grade.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    << I recall when Mr. Eureka and someone else were battling it out on a 1876-cc dime in a major dime collection in 1990 (Stack's?). The coin fetched $25,000 and I had it as a PL MS65 or something. I figured the buyer was nuts as it was no higher than a 65-66. Well it slabbed out as a branch mint proof. That explained it all. It was not catalogued as a proof either.

roadrunner >>

Was Mr Eureka the winner of that battle??

Yes, but it was only 10K and it was more like 1986-88. It's probably a six-figure coin today. Too bad I didn't keep it.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe this to be a saga that will probably prove to be a folly for the buyer. >>

I'm sure that anyone who can afford $1.5 mil for a coin can afford to eat it. Its probly not like he had to dig under his couch cushions like some of us. image
  • Options
    I loved it until Duckor and Akers told me what they thought of it. Yes, the final price bid high, but remember, SOMEONE OR SOMEONE'S HAD TO BID AGAINST THE CURRENT OWNER TO GET THAT HIGH OF A FINAL PRICE.

I love how there is a new owner on one of these rarities, then all-of-a-sudden, after years of experts looking at them, and even TPG's grading them, that they somehow are something DIFFERENT now, (like a proof from a non-proof), 100 years later. Right...

This thread will die over the next 4 months, and everyone will have forgotten about it. The new owner will be fine. Tell Jack Lee it could be a Specimen, and he'll buy it for $2,000,000.

BTW, I feel MS's are more desirable and worth MORE than proofs in the saints.

• Options
    I was informed from a reliable source that the coin now resides in a PCGS MS64 holder! Go figure.....So now what is it worth?

My offer stands.....My MS64 1921 is still available!

This sounds like a Kevin Lipton type of coin.....

Good point Lloyd! There were TWO bidders that were convinced of its value!

• Options
    I was informed from a reliable source that the coin now resides in a PCGS MS64 holder!

True or not, it won't reside in that holder for long.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Andy,

Are you convinced it will get into a Proof 63/64 holder?

• Options
    <<most valuable Gold coin that exists>>

I can name 20 off the bat. And they are all 1907.

• Options

<< <i> I was informed from a reliable source that the coin now resides in a PCGS MS64 holder!

True or not, it won't reside in that holder for long. >>

Right. It will be in an ANACS MS66 Proof holder. image

• Options
    Already regraded???

• Options
    Are you convinced it will get into a Proof 63/64 holder?

I'm convinced that it will go into a SP or PR holder before it is sold. Whether that takes a week or a decade is anyone's guess.

And as for getting the coin graded, B&M delivered lots Saturday morning. No reason why PCGS couldn't have graded it already.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    As I said I have been told it now resides in a MS64 holder.....My 1921 in MS63 which I sold a few months ago was cert #21895703.....I sold it for a lot less than $1.4 mil!

Legend, you should be happy as you bought the 1921 in MS65 for $800k which seems like a steal now!

Pinnacle should be even happier buying the MS66 for less than this coin in question brought.

I have owned three 1921's in my collecting experience and just love the date. I love the MS64 I still have.....
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GREAT THREAD! Thanks to all who have/will respond.

K
  • Options
    Looks Proof 64 to me...
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back when I worked for ANACS in Colorado Springs, we had the proverbial little old lady come in with her son, daughter-in-law and some grandkids with a coin she wanted looked at. She said that it was a 1921 $20 gold piece that her uncle, who was the Superintendent of the Philadelphia Mint, gave to her when she was born in that year. She mentioned his name, and he was indeed one of the two Superintendents that served in that year.

Trembling in anticipation at seeing what must be the finest 1921 $20 ever released, I directed the family into the library and produced a pad to unwrap the coin onto. I opened up the paper, and found a coin that must have been polished dozens of times over the years.

AAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never even thought that it might have been a Proof. It was so far gone I doubt if I could have told.

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps the buyer of the 1921 Saint may want to investigate this 1921 walker?image

Jack Lee knew this Walker well.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

<< <i>No one stupidly risks that kind of money. >>

yea right image
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file