Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Please critique my photography!

I am trying to improve my photography. image A nice board member recently PMd me some photography tips, so I tried them out tonight. I would like some opinions on the pictures. I tried several different kinds of coin, proof, circulated, MS and slabbed.

Thanks! image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First step is to drop any plastic that you can to get rid of glare. It'll make a huge difference.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Posts: 3,294
    The sac is just about perfect ... but you should have a black cloth hanging behind the camera to obtain more of a cameo effect image
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

We have the same enemy - light image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We have the same enemy - light image >>

We all do. Hot spots like on the Morgan kill me.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    I agree with APN, firstly, lose the plastic. Shoot them raw, if possible.

Also, play with your backgrounds (neutral white or light cream), and adjust the white balance accordingly.....most of all, have fun.
  • Options

<< <i>First step is to drop any plastic that you can to get rid of glare. It'll make a huge difference. >>

Funny, I was just going to comment that in spite of the plastic you did a surprisingly good job minimizing glare. But I'm just learning too. Listen to Jeremy - he's a pro!

It seems to be easier with hard plastic like slabs and airtites that have just one plane of reflection - flips like the Morgan is in bounce light all over the place, plus you can see the scuffs on the flip.

I don't like the background on the Lewis & Clark nickel - too busy and distracting. Focus is off. Interesting colored reflections though - makes the trees look green! Proofs are tough.

I'd like to see more pics of the Sac with a black cloth like Fletcher says, and the Morgan out of the flip and with some kind of a diffuser.

What kind of stand are you using?

• Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    I am trying to take pictures through plastic for stuff like slabs because you can't get rid of the plastic. I'll go try a few more pics.

The nickel is in that nickel set issued by the mint.

For a stand I am using an old tripod on a chair pointed at the table where I have stacked two proof set boxes and a paper plate.

Thanks for the tips so far! image

-Amanda

• Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349

My dad did something with the Sac... image I can't find it.

I don't know how to do white balence.

-Amanda

• Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    Great improvement on the 87 morgan.....................

What kinda camera ??

I would think some forum member has a like camera and can help you out with the wb.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file