Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is anyone else impressed with the quality of the YN's around here?

I am impressed with each and every one of them. (I won't attempt to name names as I will surely forget someone unintentionally) It gives me hope that not only the hobby but the future is in good hands. Your parents should be proud of each and everyone of you. I know I am. image
Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"

Comments

• Options
    I've noticed that too. They make insightful observations I would expect from much older collectors. It gives this ON hope for the future.
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    I am surprised each time I find out who they are.

Their knowledge and comments have led me to assume they were seasoned veteran numismatists!

Truely top quality collectors.image
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Yep, a bunch of great kids.image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely more advanced than I was as a YN.

Of course, I didn't have the Internet. Or a local dealer, when I started.

Just books.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Careful what you say around here about YN's and the "future". You will only encourage "investors, hoarders and speculators". image

Makes it tougher on us GN's. ( geezer numismatists)image
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, thanks for the kind words about us YN's.

My parents are really impressed on how much Numismatic knowledge I have and they are glad that I have found a nice hobby to take up.

I think we really need to thank the ON's though because they have given us so much knowledge to absorb. There are a lot of great mentors on this board and each and every one has contributed to the success of each and every YN.

YN's, lets have a round of applause for the ON's. They deserve it!

• Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349

<< <i>First, thanks for the kind words about us YN's.

My parents are really impressed on how much Numismatic knowledge I have and they are glad that I have found a nice hobby to take up.

I think we really need to thank the ON's though because they have given us so much knowledge to absorb. There are a lot of great mentors on this board and each and every one has contributed to the success of each and every YN.

YN's, lets have a round of applause for the ON's. They deserve it!

image >>

I second it! Without ON's, where would the YN's be? ON's are very important to us YN's and I'm glad that there are so many nice ones here. image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    There are no YNs around here; for example Leiana is actually 29 and her "Grandpa" is really her sugar daddy.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349

<< <i>There are no YNs around here; for example Leiana is actually 29 and her "Grandpa" is really her sugar daddy. >>

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Interesting that you should note the quality of the yn's here because I have been thinking the same thing. When I was doing this as a kid, it was just me and the red book working my standing libs, cents, and mercs. The yn's here are showing very good discipline and they also seem to be able to communicate in a public forum and contribute good information. This is great! Yea on 'ya, yn's.

Saul Goode
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am amazed at how many of them wheel and deal coins already!!
  • Options

<< <i>Without ON's, where would the YN's be? >>

Exactly!
  • Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    When I was a YN, there was a store in town called "The Purple Penny". I think the guys were there maybe once a month for it to be open. I went in with the intent of asking and finding out how to tell the difference between large and small date 60's and 70-S Lincolns.

The store was HUGE (to me anyway) and I think they had 2 casd tables set up. I asked, and what I got was a 2 year old copy of Red Book, and the explanation that I could tell probably better than he could. "Just compare it to the pictures, and use a ruler". So...that was the only professional advice I got before the internet came along image

I do seem to remember some BIG silver coins for sale. Must have been Morgans. I remember thinking I didn't want any, because they looked brand new, and I wanted old coins image
  • Options
    p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    Thanks you old geezers imageimage

Seriously though, thanks. I have 4893 private messages right now and I've even cleared them all before. So many of them are from you gentlemen and women older than I and are truly inspiring and helpful. I have so many great relationships and friendships with people on the boards and it means a lot to have people that you have never met care about you and watching out for your best interest.

imageimage
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭
    A ON? image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    Thanks for the nice words!image
  • Options

<< <i>A ON?image >>

Hey, don't feel too bad. Eventually all YN's turn into ON's.image

ON= Older Numismatist
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

NO image

They make me look dumb image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    I was really impressed with the writing in Fletcher's YN contest.

Great stuff.

Jonathan
    I have been a collector for over mumbly-five years. I learn something new every day.
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    I am extremely proud of the yn's represented on this forum. They have combined computer knowledge with excellent communication skills. Their knowledge and understanding of the numismatic adventure is awe inspiring. I sincerely believe we are fortunate to be able to witness future leaders in the making. Oh and did I mention they do it with humor and style. jws

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file