Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone recognize this 1797 half

OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
Being sold on Ebay to settle Grandfather's estate by seller with 0 feedback rating.

PCGS F-12 1797 half dollar
Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't recognize it, I imagine that the price will increase substantially in the next 4 days.

Are you wondering if this is a stolen coin that is hitting the market?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we're wondering if it's just stolen pictures, and there's no coin for the seller to sell.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    I suspect either one or the other.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't look like any of the 1797 halves in F-12 sold at Heritage in the last six years.
  • Options
    I couldn't find it on Heritage or on ANR. All I can say is that if legit then the seller has a BIG pair of brass ones to sell it on the bay with no reserve.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>I couldn't find it on Heritage or on ANR. All I can say is that if legit then the seller has a BIG pair of brass ones to sell it on the bay with no reserve. >>

I suspect that the seller is not nearly so brave as anyone who bids on it thinking they will actually end up with it. That said, I have an extremely strong suspicion that anyone who wants to chance it will have to bid over $35,000imageimage
  • Options
    I've asked the seller if I could pick it up and pay in person...will see what response I get.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Winner pays $4.75 shipping. image

• Options

<< <i>Winner pays $4.75 shipping. image >>

That's probably excessive, considering what will actually be shipped.image
  • Options
    Here's the seller's response. Interesting:

Hi, I don't see any reason why you can't.Thanks for bidding!
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bidding seems to be healthy at this point
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,684 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bidding seems to be healthy at this point >>

Yeah, ed3548 took a big step. It also looks like 79-ee was fishing to see if he could figure things out.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    The high bidder's ID seems awfully familiar. image
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    Well, heck, if the seller says it's no problem to pick and pay for the coin in person...if a buyer has proof that they were told this, they'd seem to have recourse against an NPB strike if they tried to do that and the seller refused...but then again, this IS eBay.
  • Options

<< <i>Hi, I don't see any reason why you can't.Thanks for bidding! >>

Bring small unmarked bills in a brown bag..................

Actually it could be a legit deal but definitely a face to face transaction for the buyer.
  • Options
    <<Actually it could be a legit deal ....>>

It could be, but considering the coin being offered, that it's at no reserve and offered by a 0 feedback seller, I'll still take the "it's not a legit deal" side of the action.image
  • Options

<< <i>The seller ended this listing early to sell to the high bidder(s) at current bid price. >>

• Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    For what it is worth, after getting OK's OK and an email exchange with the seller, I was the underbidder.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options

<< <i>For what it is worth, after getting OK's OK and an email exchange with the seller, I was the underbidder. >>

yeah, I was hoping you would get it then cut me a break on it...

1 dollar down, 1 dollar a week...(maybe my grandkids could get it out of layaway.)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The seller ended this listing early to sell to the high bidder(s) at current bid price. >>

32,200 >>

That seems odd. I certainly didn't ask him to. When I get proof that the listing either is or is not a scam I will report back.
  • Options
    I thought that was your account.
  • Options
    I just received this email through the seller's account:

"Any auctions listed under northeasttreasure are invalid and a hoax, Damn kids got my passwords and listed four auctions,I guess you are the winner for a $32,200 coin that they do not have ,Please except my apoliges for this mess my son and his friends will be having a very work intense summer for pulling this prank.Please email me back to let meknow you received this message.
    Thanks "
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just received this email through the seller's account:

"Any auctions listed under northeasttreasure are invalid and a hoax, Damn kids got my passwords and listed four auctions,I guess you are the winner for a $32,200 coin that they do not have ,Please except my apoliges for this mess my son and his friends will be having a very work intense summer for pulling this prank.Please email me back to let meknow you received this message.
    Thanks " >>

Hey, Mark - while I'm really sorry for you that the coin didn't exist at that price, at least if the story is true it sounds like the parent that caught the kids and their prank is going to hold them accountable. Refreshing to hear these days.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    His "damn kids" must be pretty savvy to pull that off like that-- I believe that one as much as I believe that 1797 halves grow on trees...
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    <<Hey, Mark - while I'm really sorry for you that the coin didn't exist at that price, at least if the story is true it sounds like the parent that caught the kids and their prank is going to hold them accountable. Refreshing to hear these days.>>

Thanks but I was quite sure it was a scam.

<<His "damn kids" must be pretty savvy to pull that off like that-- I believe that one as much as I believe that 1797 halves grow on trees..>>

I have no idea how old is "kids" are, but have no reason to doubt him.

• Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    Since he owes you a 1797 half for $32 grand I think his kid's intensive summer work program should include two months of indentured servitude at the Coinguy residence.

CG
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are one of the kids named Consuela ??
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

<< <i>Are one of the kids named Consuela ?? >>

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This coin actually looked familar to me from the FUN show, but for the life of me I cant remember who's table???

jim
  • Options
    Send me proof that you actually DID punish your kids, or I'll neg you! image
  • Options
    <<Are one of the kids named Consuela ??>>

Funny you should ask. One of the names was CONswella and the other was Notsoswella.

<< <i>Send me proof that you actually DID punish your kids, or I'll neg you! image >>

I like that idea!

• Options
    Still sounds fishy. Feedback 0? He never used his account since Dec 05 before the kids got ahold of it? Oh well, NARU.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<Are one of the kids named Consuela ??>>

Funny you should ask. One of the names was CONswella and the other was Notsoswella.

<< <i>Send me proof that you actually DID punish your kids, or I'll neg you! image >>

I like that idea! >>

Mark, I don't think you get the joke. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i><<Are one of the kids named Consuela ??>>

I like that idea! >>

Mark, I don't think you get the joke. image >>

Robert, I got it - I promise.image
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr. Paranoia strikes again:

<< <i>Please except my apoliges for this mess >>

"Please EXCEPT? my apoliges (sic)"............. technically...... defines it as NO apology.

.........Probably................. a typo, but why cut slack for someone like that?

• Options
    richrich Posts: 364
    Shipping insurance
    Not offered

Thought that was odd.
    Thanks for the money,BTW I'm not responsible if it gets lost in the mail.
    R-I-G-H-T image

1997 Matte Nickel strike thru U
    "Error Collector- I Love Dem Crazy Coins"
    "Money, what is money? It is loaned to a man; he comes into the world with nothing and he leaves with nothing." Billy Durant. Founder of General Motors. He died a pauper.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file