Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

History Lesson: Classic Commemoratives #4

Been a while since I've done one of these, so here it is. I've provided links to the previous lessons also. I personally have a 50 piece Registry Set here at PCGS and am working on the 144 piece set "Across the Street".

Two Ways to Collect:
Today, the two most popular ways to collect silver commemorative coins is by types and by varieties.

A complete collection of design types of the early (1892 to 1954) period comprises the 1893 Isabella quarter dollar and the 1900 Lafayette silver dollar plus 48 different designs of half dollars, equaling 50 coins in all. To this collection may be added modern types minted since 1982. Over the years this has been the most popular way to form a complete set of commemoratives. Among the scarcer coins in such a set are the 1915-S Panama-Pacific, 1928 Hawaiian Sesquiecentennial, 1935 Hudson Sesquicentennial, and the 1935 Spanish Trail half dollars. Of the last three names issues, just 10,008 were minted of each, a small number in relation to the number of collectors desiring them.
A complete collection of varieties struck from 1892 to 1954 includes the 1893 Isabella quarter dollar, 1900 Lafayette silver dollar, and 142 different dates, mintmarks, and other varietes of half dollars. Among the rarer issues are the 1939 Oregon Trail set of three coins (one each from Philadelphia, Denver, and San Francisco mints), of which just 3,000 were distributed; the 1939 Arkansas Centennial set, of which only 2,100 were sold; and two scarce varieties of 1935-D and S Boone half dollars with the additional date "1934" in small digits on the reverse, of which only 2,000 each were publicly distributed.

Lesson #1

Lesson #2

Lesson #3

Enjoy, till next lessonimage

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file