Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I want to improve my photography. Would you mind critiqueing this pic? Added: Details on how it was

p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭

Thanks.

Added: A few people were interested in how this image was taken so Ive decided to write a little bit about it. First off I am using a Nikon Coolpix 885 with 3.2 megapixels. You dont need a super expensive camera to get nice pictures as long as you know how to work the camera. The lights are Reveal bulbs. I have the third light there that I hold by hand for some coins (super lustrous or toned). The lights (as can be seen in the pictures) are almost directly above the coin but moved slightly off to the side. This allows for the coin to be lit nicely and meanwhile avoiding (barely) the glare off the slab. I had to put the lights on the boxes because they weren't high enough to light the coin from above without the boxes. I use a small desktop tripod for stability. The coin is set up on those two watch tins in order to get it closer to the camera, but it is not necessary.

For those of you who dont want to spend lots of money on good pictures I would recommend being a bit innovative. Decent pictures can be had with a little work and money. The camera is less than $100 on Ebay and the lights were rather cheap too. The entire cost of my "setup" here was less than $130. If you have any other questions feel free to ask me, I'd be glad to help you out.

Here is a picture of my "setup"

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    It's actually not a bad image. Detail is crisp and clear, and the luster shows nicely. A little gray in color, should appear whiter. Has some shadowing, but that's damned tough to eliminate on larger coins with luster.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    That's a lot nicer than I could do!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭
    looks just fine on my end.....

TC71
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

It more than gets the idea across - nice job.

What's going on with the star 4th to the right? Is this an attributed VAM?

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I could get my images to appear as nice as your image, I would post more images... well done.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>Is this an attributed VAM? >>

Yes it is. It is Vam 30. 1878-S by the way.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice pic. Gotta a funny blue tinge at the bottom. Is there some other light leaking into your photo?
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Can you give me lessons? I like it!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options

<< <i>Nice pic. Gotta a funny blue tinge at the bottom. Is there some other light leaking into your photo? >>

Thanks for pointing this out. I hadnt noticed it until now. All other lights in the room were off at the time of shooting this shot. I think it might be reflection of my walls. They are emerald green.
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    For an inexpensive setup it's quite good..........image
    ......Larry........image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file