Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

what do you think of my new gold puchase?

Comments

• Options
    If you bought them all recently that is a large purchase!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    Bought them all at once, think they are worth $40,000?
    Brett B wanabe coin guy
  • Options
    Very sweet!!!!!! Thank you for sharing!!!!!

(happy thread)
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options

<< <i>what do you think of my new gold puchase? >>

I think if you need someone to put in your will I'll gladly volunteer.image

Great coins.image
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They all look nice.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks in advance for the kind

giveaway. PM me for my mailing

address.

• Options
    ecosecos Posts: 391
    Totally AT! image
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880
    I wish I had 'em. Very nice pickup. Congratulations.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options

<< <i>Bought them all at once, think they are worth $40,000? >>

Depends. What grade was represented when they were sold to you? I'm not going to even begin to try

and grade them based on the images I can see, but obviously they are nice looking coins. If they were all sold for

MS65 money, retail they'd be maybe 10K-15K - high grade generic gold. 40K? I don't know, but if the 23 came back

MS66, well...

And of course, they're not wrapped in plastic slabs, so there is no market for them image

Nice coins, BTW
  • Options
    some opinions on there value would be most appreciated,bottom line,worst case.Thanx BB
    Brett B wanabe coin guy
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭

all have great eye appeal and from the photos a guesstimate would be choice to very choice to gem grades

• Options

<< <i>some opinions on there value would be most appreciated,bottom line,worst case.Thanx BB >>

Let's start with your grades. Generic Saints in low grades get downright pricey in high grades.

• Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    The chocolate inside them is probably tasty.

Just kidding.....Beautiful coins!
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    I can't grade the coins from the images, but, from the obverse image, the 1923 looks like it might have been cleaned.

The odds, based upon the dates involved and the chances of their grading higher than MS64, tell me the far greater likelihood is that they are worth less than $7,000. I am getting a bad feeling about this. Sorry - I wish I felt otherwise.
  • Options

<< <i>I can't grade the coins from the images, but, from the obverse image, the 1923 looks like it might have been cleaned.

The odds, based upon the dates involved and the chances of their grading higher than MS64, tell me the far greater likelihood is that they are worth less than $7,000. I am getting a bad feeling about this. Sorry - I wish I felt otherwise. >>

I'm with you, although I was trying to kinda back into it more gracefully image

• Options
    lets get this straight,1908 1923 1910-d 1928 1924 1914-s and a1922 with the pics you saw,under $7,000?
    Brett B wanabe coin guy
  • Options
    Comon lord I would like youre opinion,BB
    Brett B wanabe coin guy
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭

<< <i>lets get this straight,1908 1923 1910-d 1928 1924 1914-s and a1922 with the pics you saw,under $7,000? >>

Pretty much, yep. You got Screwed(tm) (If you actually paid anywhere near $40k for them, that is)
  • Options
    How about if i paid $6000,how about that?
    Brett B wanabe coin guy
  • Options

<< <i>How about if i paid $6000,how about that? >>

Then you probably would have done fine, but you should submit them to PCGS and see exactly how fine you did.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>lets get this straight,1908 1923 1910-d 1928 1924 1914-s and a1922 with the pics you saw,under $7,000? >>

Absolutely.

Unless some of them grade MS65 or higher (and I seriously doubt that they will) the group is worth less than $7000, possibly by a good bit. You are starting to confirm the concerns I expressed in my previous post. This is also starting to look like one of those all-too-frequent situations where a buyer thought he was getting a great deal, when in fact he was getting a very bad one.

If you can return the coins and get your money back, I'd urge you to do so. I imagine the seller will work very hard to discourage you from doing that. However, please keep in mind that I/we have no reason to mislead you - there is nothing in it for us. The same cannot be said for the seller.
  • Options

<< <i>How about if i paid $6000,how about that? >>

Depends on grade, which is hard (actually impossible) to determine without the coins in hand. $850 to $900 dollars each, assuming that they

are not cleaned, seems a fair price. They all seem to have nice unmarked surfaces- although I think that one poster described one as looking

cleaned- I think that you are OK. I don't think you were ripped, nor did you necessarily get a rip - just a reasonable retail exchange of gold for cash.

JMHO

BTW - couldn't hurt to send 'em out for TPG authentication and grading - if they are choice to gem, you will increase the resale value more than the cost

of grading/ slabbing.

Again, JMO

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I can't grade the coins from the images, but, from the obverse image, the 1923 looks like it might have been cleaned.

The odds, based upon the dates involved and the chances of their grading higher than MS64, tell me the far greater likelihood is that they are worth less than $7,000. I am getting a bad feeling about this. Sorry - I wish I felt otherwise. >>

I'm with you, although I was trying to kinda back into it more gracefully image >>

Even if they all make MS64, they are worth less than $6,000 total raw. I sure hope that $40,000 figure was not real.image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    ....I think you got some very high grade gold here; ship them off to PCGS and then rub them in the face off the jealous lowballers when you double your money !! image
  • Options

<< <i>....I think you got some very high grade gold here; ship them off to PCGS and then rub them in the face off the jealous lowballers when you double your money !! image >>

I for one am not jealous - I have no horse in this race image

Like I previously said - send 'em off for grading and authentication - I hope that

they come back high grade. Since I have no idea what you paid, I don't know what

you'll need to double your money. I hope you can. PCGS is the best choice, IMO.

• Options
    ttt, since bfb is looking to buy more common date gold...
  • Options
    Hello lord,I want youre opinion on those Gaudens from yesterday,besides a happy face with hearts,its not st. valentines day yet,get back to me.thanx
    Brett B wanabe coin guy
  • Options
    if they are all commons and raw the highest grade i could give without an expert is 63 so 650.00 a piece does that sound close to what you would pay for slabbed pcgs 63 st guardians?
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    So are you going to share what you paid?
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options

<< <i>So are you going to share what you paid? >>

See this thread to continue the drama, Marty

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file