Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The best method for cleaning coins?

Click here (safe coin cleaning method)

Is this actually the safest/best coin cleaning method?

Comments

• Options
    Amusing.

and Amazing that a newbie posts crap like this.

I do hope that this was for jocularity and not a serious question.

so to refresh what a hundred of us collectors know

NEVER CLEAN COINS - LEAVE EM ALONE.

• Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    I got chest pains looking at that!
    Mark
  • Options
    DrWhoDrWho Posts: 562 ✭✭
    NO.
  • Options
    Has anyone actually tried this. According to the site it works for good resale value. Are you all just poo-pooing it without trying it first, or do you know for sure it is not a good idea?

Thanks!
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Rock tumbler, sand, gravel, silver cleaner: image

Shinycoinboy approved.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    NEVER clean a coin! Only a neebe will buy these on Ebay. It takes away all collectors value. I have an ultra sonic cleaner that would do a much better job without all the coin damage by abbrasions and that's a no no too! Some will dip a coin if it has some organic crap on the coin but most won't buy these knowing either.

I sure hope your not buying those bright middle grade bust halves that's been cleaned for your sake.
  • Options
    This method relies on abrasive cleaning. Any sort of abrasive cleaning will destroy the surface of a coin and make it effectively worthless. Therefore, none of us have tried this method because we can be certain that the outcome will hurt the coin.
  • Options
    meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    The best way to clean coins is the NOT method. Do NOT clean coins, Do NOT allow abrasives to touch the coins. Do NOT use wire brushes, tooth brushes, or other devices intended to remove the surface to be cleaned. Cleaning coins ruins the value and introduces whizzing. No mater how light the act of cleaning, changes to the surface of the coin occur and therefore alterations to the coin cause it to differ from its original state.

Dan
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • Options
    MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭
    Here's the cleaning method I used last night. Plastic food storage tub (small), a little bit of Tide, some Greased Lightning cleaner and hot water. I let the coins soak for a bit then I started swishing and rinsing them with more hot water then I gave them a good rub with my fingers to get the gunk off. It seemed to work pretty well on most coins.

Maybe I forgot to mention that the coins I cleaned were pulled out of pockets while doing laundry. They were setting on a ledged covered with Tide and dust. Hopefully I didn't misplace an '09-S VDB. image

Millertime
  • Options
    You sure don't take poo-poo for an answer, do you?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Tide™ method and such on my underwear and towels.

For antique furniture----LEAVE IT DIRTY
    for restoring old cars ...LEAVE IT ORIGINAL
    for vintage baseball cards..... Leave them be
    for COINS ?.... if they are common, why clean them ? SPEND THEM! If they are collectible , WHY DESTROY THEM ?

(laughin' here, Millertime,Phelan,mgoodm,morganhunter and pharmer....)

Busthalfcrazy ???? surely, you jest !
  • Options
    Of course, someone is making a huge profit here - the person who's trying so hard to sell the product "rock tumbler"
    List of my partial coin list: My Coin List
  • Options
    DismeguyDismeguy Posts: 496 ✭✭✭
    That link was a joke, right? Anyone with numismatic experience would just laugh at that post.....image
    Gerry Fortin's Rare American Coins Online Storefront and Liberty Seated Dime Varieties Web- Book www.SeatedDimeVarieties.com Buying and Selling all Seated Denominations....
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure "busthalfcrazy" is just a new collector. I hope he's not taking this the wrong way were just trying to edcuate him before he spends a lot of money on worthless material or even worst wipes out some more collectable coins.image
  • Options
    I thought we discussed this exact website a few months back. image

And, JA! It's a joke hey!
    "Don't talk like an ignarosis."

I specialize in Wisconsin currency! Looking for information on WI national banknotes. Census stands at 12,318 notes.

**"Wisconsin National Bank Notes - 2nd Edition" is out!!!" Only $20PPd!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Has anyone actually tried this. According to the site it works for good resale value. Are you all just poo-pooing it without trying it first, or do you know for sure it is not a good idea?

Thanks! >>

I take them to yo' mammas house! They come back clean,
  • Options

<< <i>Has anyone actually tried this. According to the site it works for good resale value. Are you all just poo-pooing it without trying it first, or do you know for sure it is not a good idea?

Thanks! >>

Pondering the metaphysics of poo-pooing pooh-pooh....
  • Options
    bonkroodbonkrood Posts: 796 ✭✭✭
    Speechless imageimageimageimage
    image Steam Power
  • Options
    Seems to be a troll.

His other thread
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭

Busthalfcrazy,

Are you actually serious!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.

Just, wow.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    LOL. Methinks some repliers didn't look at your link and see that it was a joke.

I could use a rock tumbler. I want to take a fresh Sac dollar and wear it to PO-1 grade and get it slabbed. It has to be done in a way that would be acceptable as natural wear to get encapsulated.

As for the general advice, I certainly agree. If you need to ask about cleaning coins, you are not in a position to do it properly on even those that should be cleaned. The NCS service can do something for some pieces. I only see cleaning if there is risk of further corrosion if not cleaned or to remove PVC film to make marketable.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options

<< <i>Rock tumbler, sand, gravel, silver cleaner: image

Shinycoinboy approved. >>

There's only One
  • Options
    Checkout the "message" page. image

~g image
    I listen to your voice like it was music, [ y o u ' r e ] the song I want to know.

I'd give you the world, just because...

Speak to me of loved ones, favorite places and things, loves lost and gained, tears shed for joy and sorrow, of when I see the sparkle in your eye ...
    and the blackness when the dream dies, of lovers, fools, adventurers and kings while I sip my wine and contemplate the Chi.
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    Busthalfcrazy,

For true, behind-the-scenes answers to complex questions about matters on coinage and the industry in general, send a PM to Iwog. He's an insider.
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    As to cleaning coins the method shown there is not acceptable due to the cost of all the materials. Sand, pebbles, silver, tumblers, miscellaneous other stuff, electricity to run the tumbler all would have to be added to the cost of the coins subjetted to that cleaning.
    Holding a coin with glass tweezers and dipping them into a Concentrated Sulfuric or Nitric Acid bath for several minutes would take off any miserable dirt much better and the acid would still be usable for other fun stuff. However, just putting your coins in the family washing machine with your clothing would further save on materials required for the cleaning. Just remember to use strong detergents and bleeches for those washings.
    As to the restoring of old cars to leave them alone just don't work in real life. Cars, unlike coins, require replacements of items no longer available on Earth. My 67 Imperial, for instance, has front wheel disc breakes that were made for that car. Total production of that car did not warrant replacement parts from the manufacturer. That is only one example of just not utilizing original parts as the car gets older. Same with many other items on my other cars. GM cars do have lots of stuff around but Mopar stuff just ain't around to keep original.
    Carl

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file