Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Incredibly Horrible PCGS Experience

Due to technal difficulties with the system, this message has been reposted by an administrator.
Orginal meesage was posted on June 14, 2005 at 11:01 Pacific Time.

I have posted this factual timeline on the PCGS US Coin forum. I have stated I am cc'n this email to you, and here is the post as I have represented.

Please, help me resolve this.

-Ben

----

I'm posting this because short of litigation, I have nowhere else to turn. This is a horrible experience I have had with PCGS that is still unresolved. Here's the outline of the events.

-- All of 2004 - I started on my silver eagle proof registry set. All PR70DCAM coins. I purchased all beautiful coins, and with one prominent wholesaler purchased a bulk of PR70DCAM spares for the year since he then had an abundance. All coins are always properly stored in a humidity and temperature controlled room in PCGS brand storage containers. No concerns there.

-- After purchasing them until October 2004 - 15 of the purchased PR70DCAM Silver Eagle Proofs had developed substantial milk spotting on the coins. The following coins with problems are:

2002 - 72474952 - Front of the coin, all around the edges
2003 - 72417329 - Front of coin heavily, back of coin in some areas 2001 - 72411564 - Front of coin, lightly spotted around 9 to 3 o'clock 2001 - 72297889 - Front and back, lightly spotted all along edges 2001 - 72297981 - Front and back, spotted all along edges 2001 - 72417102 - Front and back, spotted all along edges, in fields on back too 2001 - 72415350 - Front of coin between 2 and 4 o'clock, rear of coin at 7 o'clock 2004 - 72419934 - Front of coin moderatly spotted 2004 - 72420036 - Front between 10 and 2 o'clock, minor spotting on back. 2004 - 72419932 - Back of coin light spotting around edge and some in fields 2004 - 72419931 - Front of coin moderate spotting 2004 - 72419939 - Front and back, spotted all along edges and in fields 2004 - 72419927 - Front of coin moderatly spotted, rear of coin around edges 2004 - 72419928 - Front and back, spotted all along edges and in fields 2004 - 72419920 - Front and back, lightly spotted along edges and in fields

-- October 2004 - I call the wholesaler who most of these were purchased from, and he gratiously agrees to send them to PCGS on my behalf for them to repair or replace under the very specific and wonderful PCGS Guarantee.

-- December 10th 2004 - PCGS has had the coins now, and they are in "cue"
for a "free courtesy" analysis.

-- February 2005 - Wholesaler calls PCGS to figure out what the delay on the coins is. Wholesaler speaks directly to David Hall. Mr. Hall represents the coins need replacing and can not be repaired (aka dipped).

-- February 2005 - Wholesaler agrees that it is best that I speak with PCGS directly regarding replacement cost and values of the coins to be replaced. I calculate this cost, and send it to PCGS. No reply.

-- April 18th 2005 - Numerous phone calls to Julie are made over the next 4-5 days. Julie is David's personal assistant at PCGS. Julie takes around 5 phone calls from me and agrees to keep checking the status and return my call. No calls are returned.

-- Late April 2005 - More phone calls to Julie, she keeps checking the status. States that they are busy and that the coins havent been looked at. That's impossible as the wholesaler had verbally spoken with Mr. Hall who stated the coins must be replaced, and thus had been inspected.

-- May 2005 -- More phone calls to PCGS and Julie, more phone calls unanswered.

-- May 23rd 2005 -- David Hall returns my phone call personally. Pleasant fellow, we agreed upon all points, and he asked me to send him the value of the coins personally to him by email, dh@collectors.com. I comply and sent the same email that I've sent PCGS before with the same values. A quick note on the values, they are far less than PCGS's guide since we all know that even they think those prices are high. My values are to replace the coins now.

-- 1st week of June 2005 -- Julie is called, she says everything is in the works and I should be getting a check. Great!

-- 2nd week of June 2005 -- PCGS stops returning phone calls again.

-- Today, June 14th, 2005 -- Still no update on the status. David is in a meeting again, and Julie is incredibly irritable over the phone. I ask to talk to accounting to find a check number. She says I'm putting the horse in front of the cart. I ask her to look into it, she states she will only relay a message to David for me. I ask her to take my phone number, she sighs and asks for it again. Soon as she says she wrote it down she says "thank you goodbye" and hangs up.

I have mentioned to Julie that I will use this foum to express my concerns that I have over $10,000 in coins that PCGS is obligated to replace and is stalling to do so. I told her I would do this if there is no resolution and if this public scrutiny did not work that it would be litigated. I am wholeheartedly living up to my promise to them.

None of these statements are omitting facts, and none of these statements are exaggerating any points to any degree. It is a simple cronological outline of this problem I am having with PCGS.

To PCGS: Please replace the coins with PR70DCAM in the same year and type coins, or replace them on fair market value. That is your guarantee, and that is what I am asking (again) of you. So far PCGS had had these coins in excess of 6 months and this is the horror that I have had to deal with.

Cordially,

-Ben Evans
Silver Eagle Proof Registry, Alltime #2 set.

This post is being CC'd to dh@collectors.com

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am the "wholesaler" Ben has referred to in this post. As Ben will attest to, when I sold the coins to Ben, they were beautiful, spot-free, specimens. A number of the coins did, thereafter, spot and, as I recall, I first discovered the problem when I read a post by Ben (back in 9/04 or 10/4) on these boards publicly discussing the problem. I promptly contacted Ben and asked him to send me the coins so I could present them to David Hall to resolve the problem. There was never an issue with Ben of exactly how or why the coins spotted - I was confident that the PCGS guarantee protected him in any event. I have handled MANY grade guarantee matters for collectors over the past years and in EVERY instance the collector (and myself) was 100% satisfied with the outcome. As Ben mentions, and as I fully expected, around 2/05 David Hall gave me the "thumbs up" to inform Ben that the coins would be removed from the PR70DC holders and Ben fully reimbursed for the value of the coins. However, I believe there has been an entirely separate reason why this claim has not been finally resolved (and paid) over the past 4 months since the time David Hall agreed to knock down the grade on EVERY coin I presented to him for Ben (and has nothing to do with PCGS "dropping the ball" and not wanting to resolve this matter as quickly as possible). Ben has chosen to not get into the reason here pubilcly and since he has not chosen to do so, I will also not discuss it here publicly. But, I am personally 100% comfortable that the matter is moving along and that Ben and PCGS can wrap up the final loose end to fully resolve this problem to the parties' mutual satisfaction. However, without question, IMHO, the message board is NOT the place to resolve this final loose end on this claim and I hope Ben reconsiders this point and elects to bring this matter back into the private arena it has been and where it belongs.

Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

The poster claims he has not left out any facts or exaggerated in this post. This is not the case. There's two sides to every story and this is what I know.

First, we do have a problem with silver eagles. Something is spotting them after the fact. We believe it may be something happening at the mint and we are spending some money with scientist trying to determine what the spots are composed of, how the come to be, and if they can be removed. When we get spotted eagles in we try to take off the spots. Mint state spots will never come off. Proof spots sometimes come off...strange but true.

Second, after we were unsuccessful in removing the spots on the coins in question, we tried to settle with the customer thru the submitting dealer. The dealer stated that the customer was not being realistic about market value and asked us to deal with the customer directly.

Third, I eventually contacted the customer...perhaps dropping the ball a little...and tried to settle with the customer. His expectations as to what we should pay him seemed to me to be above retail. Bottom line...I thought he was taking a shot at us.

Fourth, Julie told me she never told the customer the check was being sent and I believe her because I have never asked her to tell a customer the check was being sent and I never agreed to any price with the customer so there is no way the check could be sent.

Those are the facts as I know them.

What has this got to do with you? Well if you have a problem with PCGS email me direct at dh@collectors.com and I'll take care of it If you have a guarantee issue be reasonable in your expectations. We are only obligated to pay market value for problem coins we buy back and as much as we love you all, we are not going to pay over retail for buy backs.

Thanks,

David Hall

This discussion has been closed.