Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hmm, here's a decent 1914 cent in the bag. Whoa! What's that under the date? No way. It's GOTTA b

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
Cherrypickin' a bag of Wheaties last night. It was very late and I needed something to help me sleep, so I had 'em on the bedside table. Squinted at 'em in the lamplight while my wife snored beside me. I wished I could find my loupe. While I still do not wear glasses, my eyesight ain't what it used to be, especially in less than perfect light. I turn forty this year. I guess Father Time catches up with us all eventually.

I started finding 1909-VDB coins; at least four or five of 'em. Some decent grade but whizzed orange. A lot of the early stuff in this bag were whizzed or slick or both. Par for the course with bulk Wheat lots, right?

And then I got a so-so 1914, with some streaky laminations. And a '21-S and a sorry-lookin' 1911-D and some other slightly better dates like S-mints from the late 'teens and early '20's. And an early-1940's brown AU++/UNC coin with pretty violet and blue toning. And a bunch of shiny '43 cents that were obviously reprocessed, plus some rusty unreprocessed ones. Then a badly corroded and pitted 1880-something (?) Indian cent. And some BU-ish early Memorial cents.

Then another 1914 Wheat, this one pretty nice- I would say F15 to VF20, even brown, and unmessed-with. It had a little blip under the date that gave me a double take. Nah. It couldn't be what I thought my eyes were seein'. Had to be a little piece of dirt.

Turns out it was just a little piece of dirt- Lincoln also had a small gob of dirt under his chin.

So just on a whim, I got a toothpick and some Vaseline and removed the dirt from both places.

Lincoln's chin came clean just fine, as did the blip under the date. But... there was STILL a little blip under the date!

No way. It couldn't be. This sorta stuff always happens to other people- never to me.

Frantically I went out to the living room and shuffled through my briefcase, found a magnifying glass, and looked under the date.

Guess what.

(I'll give you a hint: "D" doesn't just stand for "dirt"...) image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    Wayne
  • Options
    mtnmanmtnman Posts: 566 ✭✭✭
    Very nice find.
  • Options
    ... oh- before you ask- the spacing between the "9" and the second "1" in the date of this coin is normal- not extra-wide.

I figure I have approximately two cents invested in it.

And there is no "VDB" under Lincoln's shoulder.

And my wife was rudely awakened when I started talking out loud to myself.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭

That's paydirt. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    What an awesome story!!
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • Options
    Nice find. Good to hear these stories...keeps me pumped! Thanks for sharing.
    Frank

E PLVRIBVS VNVM
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Awesome ! I'd love to see a cherrypicked 14D. Got a scan ?
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool!!image

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spoken with the passion of a treasure hunterimage
    Great find.
    Larry

• Options
    Congrats and thanks for sharing this cool story
    Michael
  • Options

<< <i>Awesome ! I'd love to see a cherrypicked 14D. Got a scan? >>

Not yet, but I'll post one. Trouble is, I am at home out in the boonies, where I am forced to use a verrrrry slooooow dialup connection.

Uploading pics takes so long, I have never successfully done it from this computer. image

But for an occasion like this, I'll give it a whirl. I guess I can always play solitaire or make a sandwich (and eat it), or maybe write a novel while I wait on the upload...

• Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    MARCO for president!image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    BRAVO LORDY, BRAVO! Whatcha gonna do wit it?image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Hey LM, Outstanding find! Congrats and I can imagine how thrilling that must have been!image

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! I went thru a bunch of wheats a while back. Didnt find nothing but a couple BU 36's
    imageimage

• Options

<< <i>BRAVO LORDY, BRAVO! Whatcha gonna do wit it? >>

SELL it, of course. image

But I'm thinkin' I might submit it to PCGS first. Y'all can prescreen it when I post pics.

Somewhere around here I have a submission form I got at FUN 2004, with four freebies. Upgraded my CC membership to Platinum there, got eight submissions, used four, and had four left over. Assuming I can find the form, which they told me not to lose, I hope it's still good. It's been over a year. Anybody know? I'm not a very frequent submitter.

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Wow, great find.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    imageimage
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    OOOh, Baby! image
    Wondo

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couldn't have happened to a nicer guyimage
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    I have to say it........................................................You SUCK! imageimage
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people have all the luck. Great find.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    Check for a small line like a die crack (not sure it that's what it is) going from Lincoln's cloak to the rim. Not all 1914-Ds have it, though.
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    Whered you buy the wheaties to pick through? image

-Daniel
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options

<< <i>Whered you buy the wheaties to pick through? >>

This batch was from about three or four different sources and I had thrown it all in one bag so it got mixed together. I really don't know. BUT I have a very strong suspicion, since one or two of the sources of the coins were old Whitman folders I had bought and popped the coins out of. I would've noticed a '14-D in one of the slots of those folders. Chances are, it is from the biggest of the three sources- I bought several pounds of mixed, mostly loose Wheats from a nice fella off the BST Forum a few months back. I cannot remember his forum name but he was nice and sent a bit of silver and other stuff with the lot- and wrote some nice personal notes like "hope you like this one I found" on the few coins that were in 2 X 2's (this '14-D wasn't one of them).

I have a strong hunch it was from him. There were a lot of 1931-1933 coins in his batch, too (no '31-S though). I will have to dig back into my old PM's to see who he was. I don't think he's been around much since then. As I recall, he was one of those folks who had a little trouble catching on here and either got flamed for some newbie mistakes or was just mistrusted because he was an unknown character. If I can contact him I am gonna send him a gift because even if this '14-D did not come out of his lot (and I think it probably did), he still was very nice and sent some nice stuff mixed in amongst the whizzed uglies. And he sent all the coins in plastic tubes. There was some silver like a Barber dime or two and a Walker half as bonuses. I'll bet a diligent search on the BST forum will reveal the thread where I bought the coins from him. I think he used "Wheat" or "Wheaties" in the title. This would've been late last summer or early fall, I think.

• Options

<< <i>Couldn't have happened to a nicer guyimage >>

awesome find!
  • Options
    Congrats Holey one!!!!! I have bought exactly 1 bag of unsearched wheats from a local shop about 5 years back. Got a 1922 No D out of the bag and several other nice coins, but just the 1 key....not bad for $150
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations!!image

You just never know when you might stumble across a coin like that!
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job. That must of been a great moment finding that.
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    Ok, so tell the truth................would you rather have found it with a metal detector?
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options

<< <i>Ok, so tell the truth................would you rather have found it with a metal detector? >>

Good question. Maybe. Even a crusty, lower-grade 14-D would be a treasured find if I'd dug it. I would NEVER sell it then, as I don't sell my dug coins (and only rarely the other dug stuff). My dug coins have a value that is much more sentimental, since I found them, exactly where somebody lost them, years or even centuries before. Usually their monetary value is a secondary consideration, and most of the time they don't have much monetary value since dug coins generally ain't as purty as their nondug counterparts. It's rare for me to dig a coin out of the ground and have it be something I'd even look twice at in a coinshop. (THIS being a possible exception since it is still the only Oregon Trail I have ever owned, dug or nondug.) But a corroded large cent or crusty Indian or even a humble Merc dime that comes out of the ground to me has a special value all its own. Be they humble or fantastic, the dug babies always put a big grin on my face.

A cherrypick like this is a huge thrill and something I will remember and talk about for years to come (y'all have noticed my tendency to tell longwinded stories, no doubt). But it's a different sort of thrill than if I had found the coin in the ground. Not better or worse, but different. Believe me, I'm no less thrilled for finding it the way I did- it's not too often that I make "Eureka!" finds while lying in bed in the middle of the night! image

Scans of the '14-D are made now. Just gotta upload them (this will take some considerable time with my fargin' slowass dialup connection here at home). I will post them in their own "guess the grade" poll thread when they're loaded, and link to that thread from here.

• Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    Lord Macro-Van (yes I saw the picts and I was wondering if you get your own zip-code when you buy that big of a van)

I believe the free grade certificates do not expire. I would check with PCGS just to be sure before you send them in.

Awsome find. The best I ever found searching old wheats was a 1914S in fine condition when I first starting collecting. My heart skipped a beat until I got my eyepiece.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Okay, here we go (finally). That was slow as hell, but not as bad as I thought it'd be. Used my cheapo Canon flatbed scanner to do the pics, since I can still get much better closeups with it than I can with the macro on my Mavica, and I don't have a copystand for the camera yet. Scanning versus photographing washes out some of the color (and luster, had any been present, which of course it isn't in this case). I brightened the pics a tiny bit- the coin is a nice medium brown but maybe one shade darker than this. I used the "sharpen" feature on my photo editing software for the closeup pic, but not on the obverse and reverse pics. (It tends to make things look a tad grainy).

Hope the pics are good enough- I had to compromise some to upload them on this connection.

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Not a Lincoln man, but looks better than Fine to me. Very nice, all original, problem free. The best kind of cherrypick!
  • Options
    Very nice find. image
    "You don't need no gypsy to tell you why, you can't let one precious day slip by" G. Allman
  • Options
  • Options
    nyuk, nyuk, nyuk...oh, wise guy huh!!!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoa is right!

Great story and find indeed. We all live for this day.image

So did YOU finally get to snore that night?

That is the kind of coin to hang onto it and it looks very nice too.

I would never sell such a coin!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

<< <i>So did YOU finally get to snore that night? >>

What do YOU think? I'm already a night owl and an insomniac. image

Especially when I get all amped up about something. And you can imagine the amperage after I found that '14-D. I stayed up the rest of the night and when I finally took a midmorning nap I had been awake for 24-30 hours.

<< <i>That is the kind of coin to hang onto it and it looks very nice too.

I would never sell such a coin! >>

Thanks. I agree- it's a nice looking original piece to my eye (or will be after I gently toothpick out the remaining dirt on the obverse). And I will always remember the find. But I have no particular intention of hanging on to it. I don't collect Lincolns and to tell the truth, I am not much of a collector anymore these days, anyway, except for the Holey Coin Vest and hat, the set of 1901 Victorian portrait coins I am assembling for my daughter Victoria, and my dug stuff. I'll save my sentimentality for those arenas. Otherwise I would be too tempted to collect everything, and that would put me in competition with my own customers for the better stuff. A conflict of interest. I'm still only a part-time, mostly small-potatoes kind of dealer, but a dealer nonetheless. As a collector I walk the roads less traveled, and travel the more popular roads only as a dealer.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations LM! Great find, has to get an award this month! image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

Lord M:

I'm not a Lincy expert by any means- if the coin is legit- would it not be worth a few xtra to have it authenticated and preserved properly and then graded? I understand our friends here - the owner of the boards do not authenticate or preserve- but the guys across the street do......

Great find..might make me look thru the 3 coffee cans of wheaties that I have....
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Good find!! Makes me want to go do a search of the jar labeled ''Teens''. These are cents pulled from cirulation in the early sixties by my father as he worried about raising his first born,,,me.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    LordM,

Just saw your pics. That's an official YOU SUCK!

Great find, man. I have to hate you now image
    Frank

E PLVRIBVS VNVM
  • Options
    Congrats!!!

• Options
    Fantastic find! If I could only be so lucky!!
    image Barry
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Let me add my kudos.That is a terrific find.Show a pic.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Excellent! I'm really happy for you! image

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file