Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Buying from Mint..Flipping for profit

I post here from time to time, and find the discussions highly educational....so I count on people here for the truth. Did anyone here buy any of these sets thinking they would sell out fast and vaulues would jump high?
Also, if the answer is yes, what do you think will be the next "sold out at the mint, selling on Ebay for outrageous sums" product.? Just wondering.....
Oh by the way, If you are looking for 2005 Clad quarter sets, CV has them for just 39.99......

Comments

• Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    Or you can just buy the clad quarter sets from the mint still.
  • Options
    I did but not knowing they would sell out so quickly (2004 mint sets) that was just a pleasant bonus. Mint products, that are unopened, often go up in the follwoing year. I like to buy enough that I can sell enough that my profit are the items I keep for my collection.

• Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    TerrapinWill,

I just posted the same question in a thread about the Westward Journey Nickel Set. We both had the same question within minutes of each other. I added a link to this thread so answers would end up here.

-

Next time one of these low production run Mint sets goes on sale, I think I'll buy a few. Even if they don't shoot up in value, they make nice gifts. Especialy the '04 Nickel/Medal Set since it was only $20.

p.s. Go Terps! (I am assuming you are a fan Will, I am.)
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep I did, thanks to someone on the boards reminding me to order some.
    Low production with quick sellout usually means profit in the short term
    at least.
    I'm so glad I joined the boards.
    Is there going to be others yes, which ones are winner noone knows for
    sure, but pay attention to the boards for the best guesses.

Smitty
  • Options
    So anyone reading the question understands, the CV reference was meant to be a joke. Here's a followup question.
    Would you expect a short term jump in value of 2004 Silver Proof sets when mint finally sells out? Would you be buying extra's at issue price?
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭

<< <i>So anyone reading the question understands, the CV reference was meant to be a joke. Here's a followup question.
    Would you expect a short term jump in value of 2004 Silver Proof sets when mint finally sells out? Would you be buying extra's at issue price? >>

2004 Silver Proof sets will likely trade a couple bucks below issue price after they sell out.
  • Options
    CoinGuy42CoinGuy42 Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    what do you think will be the next "sold out at the mint, selling on Ebay for outrageous sums" product.? Just wondering.....

I'd like to weigh in on that question....First of all, I totally agree with Clakamas' theory.....buy some of a particular item from the mint, sell enough so that those items you add to your collection are effictively free to you. I bought 10 of the werstward journey nickel sets for their issue price. I sold four for 290.00 on ebay and now the six that are added to my personal collection are free to me. Of course this cannot be done with all mint products right away, some take more time. But I have added some nice coins to my personal collection for very little or no cost, or, my profit has funded purchase of coins I really love. There is a down side.....I am sitting on 200 of the 2003 silver proof sets that I will have to hold for a couple years to break even.

As for future hot items, it is MHO that the CA SQ (mint wrapped two roll sets) are a great investment. I think that after they are sold out, there will always be a strong demand for that issue. Also, the Westward Journey Nickel Series American Bison Two-Roll Sets should be a moneymaker.....I intend to buy many of each.

Just my 2 cents worth. Also TerrapinWill, I agree with you in that the discussions here are educational to say the least.

Pat
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a few years off yet, but the mint will surely produce a few collector sets in 2009 with the Lincoln cent centennial. If the market is cooling off (another thread) It will get a boost with the last of the state quarters in 2009/2010 as well as all the cent junk the mint will be pouring out. Is it too soon to predict a sellout?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file