Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Donations accepted here to assist homeless Charley victims

It appears that one of our forum members at Charley's ground zero is helping to feed some of the folks in his city who were victims of the hurricane and whose homes were destroyed - your donation would be appreciated.

For the latest updates - you can go here:

http://www.sun-herald.com/

If you would like to donate to these folks to help them get some bare necessities such as food, batteries, ice, etc. - and whatever else they may need - here's the info for donating DIRECTLY TO Tom Pilitowski at who is distributing items directly to the homeless and elderly..........

vietventures2002@yahoo.com

If you have not read this thread - please do so.

Status of victims of Charlie thread

Also, be sure to look for Fairlaneman's hurricane charity auction on the US coin forum that ends Friday.

If you wish to donate via snail mail, please see Tom's post later down in this thread. Appreciation in helping to TTT this thread.

Thanks,
Pam

Comments

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Pam,

Thank you very much indeed. I will send pictures when I come back to civilization in a few days. We are leaving merrit island at about 8AM and should be back "home" around noon.

I just heard that electric still hasn't been restored to parts of Florida near "Brevard" county. There wasn't much in comparison that came into the east coast.

It's going to be a long, hard recovery.

Best Regards
    Tom Pilitowski
    Port Charlotte
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pam: This seems to be a very worthwhile cause to help many displaced people and shattered lives image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    ttt for soup supplies
  • Options
    orieorie Posts: 998
    This is a great opportunity to give to the Red Cross, Salvation Army, Southern Baptist or Catholic Charities. These organizations are down there in force
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pam or Tom.

Pay Pal account ?? Please let me know. Regular Mail seems too slow in this situation.

Thanks Much.
    Ken
  • Options
    partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    I believe this is the paypal account.

Or at least I hope it is. That is where I sent my money.
    If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • Options

yes, that's it.

Red Cross and other organizations are also great - however this money will go straight to our fellow forum member to help his elderly neighbors. Thanks everyone.

Pam
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sent some Money. We will see if some more can be sent......image

Ken
  • Options
    I sent some money a couple of days ago. Not much, but what I could afford. You guys just sounded discouraged. I'll bet more people are kicking in than you realize.

Zulan
  • Options
    dimeadzndimeadzn Posts: 123 ✭✭
    I sent some as well via credit card on paypal. I hope that's OK?
    Hamsters oy! Why collect they the taco.
  • Options
    dimeadzndimeadzn Posts: 123 ✭✭
    Hamsters oy! Why collect they the taco.
  • Options
    OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭
    Done
  • Options
    I wasn't going to post that I had donated, but it seemed that some feedback was needed.
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    I'm in! image

ttt
    Wondo

• Options
    is vietventures,toms direct paypal account ?
  • Options
    Tom's post 1/2 way down

<< <i>is vietventures,toms direct paypal account ? >>

I believe it is. Look at the link and go half way down or so.

I'm supposed to talk to Tom tomorrow (if he returns to his brother's house as planned) and I'll ask him.

Thanks, everyone!
    Wondo

• Options
    Pam,

Thanks for your help with the Florida folks. I will try and remember to send you a check tomorrow.

Loan Shark
  • Options
    Yes, that is his direct Paypal account.

• Options
    El Bumpo
  • Options
    And again...
    Wondo

• Options
    Hi All,

My wife and I just returned a little while ago to my brothers house in merit island. There have been quite a few donations made via pay pal and some people sent checks to my home address and they were actually delivered! The mail carrier was applauded and cheered coming down the street. I'll post initials sometime in the near future when I have my computer set up and am in the rental.

A customer of mine overnighted several 15 day ( ?) coolers to my brothers house, several customers sent boxes of batteries and checks, and we are all very appreciative. I gave the coolers away with ice that I stood in line to get to 2 elderly couples on our block who were about done with life supplies. You had to see their eyes light up when my wife and I knocked at their door.

Some of the stories are incredible. Someone drove a semi truck down loaded with ice. Yes an entire tractor trailer and since the roads ar not clear enough to drive the truck, the local radio station ( 1580 AM) announced that they needed people with pick ups, jeeps, vans and cars to come on down and pick the stuff up and get it to the people. It is SO HOT that people who have now been trapped for days now in this humidity are getting pretty bad off. This was a major help.

Someone else came down with gas grills, 500 pounds of ground beef, 2,000 hot dogs and set up in a parking lot and gave it all away.

The national guard have spots where people can drive up and they'll throw stuff in the trunk of your car.

Some of the stories bring tears. Actually quite a few of them do.

Thee are vipers coming in to take advantage and a lot of residents are sticking together and helping watch for each other. The older couple across the street from us had a break in last night and a man tried to assault the wife. Her husband came in the room ( it was dark) and the man fled. We think he's staying in the elderly persons house a couple doors down. I was going to loan this couple one of my guns but instead they called the police. My wife and I left shortly afterwards so I don't know what the outcome is yet.

I spoke to Becky Arthur at Coin World today and of course had to reluctantly postpone my advertising although will run ads in the classifies under US Gold annnouncing this temporary set back. I think CW and Numis News should do a story about this and I mentioned it to Becky. If you are all so inclined would you please give her and maybe Dave Harper a call at Numis News and mention it?

ONLY one customer, a new one who sent me an email to send him his coin on saturday, called me at my brothers house and decided he wanted his money back instead. It's on a 1799 Eagle in NGC AU-58 and it's a real PQ coin, off the market for years. I will send him his money back although it's not nice what he did, and offer the coin to you all if you are so inclined. It ain't cheap, but I seriously doubt you can shop it and find one that compares.....unless you step up to a 62 coin maybe. I cannot access the coin right now as it's in the bank safe deposit box and I don't know whan I'll be able to access it, but if you want a shot at it, email me or call me on my cell phone ( I bought one today) and I'll put you next in line for it when I can access it. Cell is 941-626-7186 Please don't get mad at me for doing this guys. I may only post once or twice tonight and I'm trying to get as much into this post as I can.

I am relocating with my wife and 2 cats to a residence inn in Tampa tomorrow afternoon where we will set up our base camp. It's at exit 160B on I-75 The general manager is supposed to help us set up a computer in our apartment there and I will try to get my coin business semi functional there at least at night as well as my wifes web business. We have spoken about it and have decided that we are going to volunteer our days to helping people in Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda and try to maintain the business out of the hotel at night. So hopefully we can pull this off.

Late tomorrow we will scour Tampa for supplies and friday morning will take these supplies down to Port Charlotte. We hope to do this if not daily then at least every other day with a Jeep load.

I also spoke to NGC and the receptionist told me "they" are bringing a truck load of stuff down to PC/PG this weekend. I don't know if that's a NGC thing or if it's just employees of NGC. They were spared and essentially our little town and PG got the punch in the nose. It's more than a little gratifying to see NGC and so many coin people helping out. Coin people rule!image

It's late and I'm dead. Haven't showered in 2 days and walked miles in the heat, plus drove hundreds today again. Just had a bowl of noodles and after my wifes done in the shower I'm doing the same and going to try and get some rest. Tomorrow's another day.

Best Regards to you all
    Tom Pilitowski

• Options
    Tom,

Thank you for the update. Several members have donated into your Paypal account. image

Keep kickin' butt down there; there are many people who are helping in anyway they can. Do you want calls on cell or landline?

Best,

John / Jack
    Wondo

• Options
    I was raised on TX Gulf Coast near Galveston - I feel your pain - Are there any police on duty near all the break ins? or what? Good grief!
    Yowwie - be cautious!
  • Options
    MONEY SENT TO PAY PAL, GOD BLESS ALL THAT ARE IN NEED, AND THOSE WHO HELP, ALSO OUR TROOPS, LOVED ONES, EVERYONE SHOULD SAY A SMALL PRAYER FOR ALL, AND ASK FOR FORGIVENESS FOR OUR SINS AMENimageimageimage
    Ebay Seller I.D
    the_northern_trading_company
    ace@airadv.net
    imageimage
  • Options
    I tried to send money but there is NO ACCOUNT SET UP YET???????????????????? Please contact me when it is set up, i hate to send money and it does go to the right people , if all the other's who said they sent money , someone eles should have caught this????? as soon as they are set up to recive i will send $$$$$$$$$ GOD BLESS and take care,Dave
    Ebay Seller I.D
    the_northern_trading_company
    ace@airadv.net
    imageimage
  • Options
    HI Dave and good morning all,

My pay pal account is vietventures2002@yahoo.com ( Worldwide Ventures) Several people sent money over night. Thank you all!

My wife and I are leaving in a couple of hours from my brothers house to relocate to the marriot residence inn at exit 160 off interstate 75 in Tampa. I don't know the phone or what room will be in yet but we WILL be there shortly. Hopefully the marriot people will be able to help us set up a desktop computer in the room so we can communicate at night when we get back from Port Charlotte. We're not computer geeks. Other than that the landline at the hotel would be a good place to leave a message or on my cell phone.

Later today we will go to a few Publix and a home depot and buy what we can fit into the jeep. I received several "coolers" and 2 boxes of batteries at my brothers house. Someone else did the same already ( hopefully it's not premature" to the hotel.

We're on it. Hopefully Coin World and Numis News will also do a story. This will be over eventually and believe me there are already quite a few people's lives we have touched in a positive way. The heat is definitely getting to people after almost a week in the humidity ( It's hot and humid man) and especially the older people can't handle it as well.

I just looked at the clock and obviously gotta get going. If anyone is near Tampa who has computer skills, would you please reach out to us so as to help us if necessary to get the computer set up? The hotel manager is supposed to help us but who knows. I'm posting this as a just in case kind of thing.

Best Regards
    Tom Pilitowski
  • Options
    Thanks for the update - take care and caution. I know this is hard times for all you folks right now - but it will get better. And I forgot about batteries! and candles - has power been restored yet to your area? Keep us updated - Thanks!
  • Options

Good Luck!!

Katrina & Chris
  • Options
    Anyone else affected by Charlie. Please post your story to this thread.
  • Options
    Hi All,

New address:

Tom Pilitowski ( Guest)
    Marriot Residence Inn
    Tampa/Sabal Park
    9719 Princess Palm
    Tampa, Fl 33619
    813-627-8855

My wife has a few hours of catching up to do with internet orders and then I have some catching up to do myself. Tomorrow morning we will be back in port charlotte and it's our intentions to be there every day and work out of the hotel at night. So please, if you want to send anything, send it to the above address.

See you all in a few hours.

At least we have a base camp now of sorts.

Rgrds
    Tom Pilitowski
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for checking in, Tom, and...oh my goodness, am I almost wetting myself over that 1799 Eagle. A bit out of my price range, but exactly the type of piece I'd love to have (someday, sigh) in my fledgling type set...maybe I'll just save the picture and pretend it's my coin... image
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for checking in, Tom, and...oh my goodness, am I almost wetting myself over that 1799 Eagle. A bit out of my price range, but exactly the type of piece I'd love to have (someday, sigh) in my fledgling type set...maybe I'll just save the picture and pretend it's my coin... image >>

Tom
  • Options
    Update from Tom today:

We have relocated to Marriot Residence Inn. 813-627-8855. My wife and I and our 2 cats are in # 334 It is too late for us to get back to PC today but first thing tomorrow we're going. If anyone would like to send coolers, batteries, neon lights etc via UPS, they can send this stuff here to my attention and my wife and I will deliver to the places that need it. These places and people number in the tens of thousands.

Tom Pilitowski
  • Options
    No way this goes to the fourth page. Bump-a-Roonie
  • Options
    I commend Tom but I am having to sift through the rubble at my own home in Punta Gorda. Sent Daughter and only Grandson to Sarasota to stay until roof and water damaged house is repaired while I keep guard on the home from being looted. According to the local newspaper there is no looting but with the house pitch dark I keep getting these two legged animals with no brains trying to take what I have left in the night. Good thing though they are looking for power to be restored by August 29 in the county but I do not think they will have power restored to where I live since I have not seen any one yet
    Jim Chandler
  • Options
    Hi Jim,

Thank you and I think there's more of the 2 legged slimeballs around then what's being reported. The woman across the street told me the day before yesterday that a man came into their home the night before and tried to rape her as a case in point. She has no telephone nor cell phone and he left only because her husband "was there!" This is the story I was told.

How are you getting online? Are you going back and forth to Sarasota?

I sw the estimate of august 29th. I don't see how that's possible but man oh man are we ever hopeful.

I did see a story on television at the hotel about the economic effects and in this story they mentioned the un employment. This is going to be a real problem. We were planning on selling our house and buying a bigger one. I think our homes are going to take a real smack even after the clean up and renovations. I do NOT think it's going to be minor either. After andrew, there was a huge exodus northward from dade to broward cnty. I moved to Boca to get out of the congestion.

Sounds likely here as well.

Take care Jim. If there's anything I can do for you, call me on the cell 941-626-7186 and I'll do my best. Now that we're relocated to Tampa, I'm not as worried about having enough gas to get out of there at night, plus gas seems to be readily available with no lines once past venice on 75. I don't know about the near to venice stations but we did fill up a little north of sarasota with no line. 1.97 gal.

Was 1.74 ar racetrack gas in merrit island.

Best Regards
    Tom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file