Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGA Grading Definition?? From their website.

bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
MS-66: An above average coin, uncirculated coin that may have irregular toning, slight rubbing and/or very slight rim "knicks".

MS-64: No trace of wear, uncirculated, may show a number of rub and rim marks and may lack slightly in luster.

MS-62: The ever-so slightest signs of wear, mostly on the high points of the strike.

Does this mean they consider a MS62 to be better than a MS66? Or am I reading this wrong?? Inquiring minds want to know!

PCGA
Ken

Comments

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Lovely. I'm going to pay MS-66 money for a coin with "slight rubbing" and irregular toning.

Last time I checked, "slight rubbing" was the definition of AU-58...

And it's nice to see that an MS-62 can show signs of wear.
  • Options
    JEEZ !
    I have a 1941S Walker,no brainer MS65 in a 64 holder because of the weak thumb !
    Most 41S's are weak strikes !
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Here's another definition from that site:

MS-67: A perfect appearing coin show no trace of wear and the finest quality possible.

So MS-67 is perfect? All those PCGS and NGC MS-68s are overgraded and/or better than perfect? Wow.
  • Options
    ziggy

You must be reading it the same as me then. If buying their slabbed coins, you need to look for ones graded MS 62 or below to get the best coin!

Ken
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Those sound like the ANA descriptions of MS grades. One sentence, vague, and useless.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Doesn't sound that much different from some of the stuff I read in the PCGS Grading guide. They say things like how Saint-Gaudens twenties can have rub up through MS-67. On page 19 of the first edition it mentions that capped bust halves with very light wear can be graded as high as MS-63. If they so chose, then rub is not wear.
  • Options
    numonebuyernumonebuyer Posts: 2,136
    Go to my website for definitions for all of the Grades. I even have pictures for most of the Grades.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭
    Given those definitions, I have a question for the experts on the forum,

What is used to distinguish between slight wear (on the high points) and a weak strike?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭
    What is used to distinguish between slight wear (on the high points) and a weak strike?

or cabinet rub or slide marks etc., etc. Makes me wonder if the following is true: There are definitely grading absolutes. There is nothing subjective about the differences between a circ coin and an unc

Joe.
  • Options
    I guess that explains why an MS64 looks better than an MS66...told you they don't know what they are doing...they make it up as they go along.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    If one uses technical grading standards (as opposed to market grading), a mint state coin should never ever show wear.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

<< <i>I guess that explains why an MS64 looks better than an MS66...told you they don't know what they are doing...they make it up as they go along. >>

This I can believe!
    Ken
  • Options
    If it was slight wear it would be obvious both sides of the coin in the same area....weak strike only will show on one side.
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    Rub a dub dud. How can it have rub and still be unc.? Is it only cabinet friction (whatever that was)? Ridiculous.
    DSW
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777

In addition to the previous comment about wear usually appearing on both sides of a coin (although with certain types of friction, you can have just one side affected), weak strike can usually be ascertained by the continuation of luster through the weak area. In the case of wear, you can determine slight changes in color that occur between unworn spots and worn spots. And with the color change, there will be a break in the luster where the wear is located. With a weak strike, the luster should roll through the weak area, and remain unbroken. This is when it's helpful to have a coin in hand, and to be able to examine it at various angles in good light....
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Rub and weak strike are quite different when you've seen enough examples. Rub always changes the color of silver. A weak strike allows more of the planchet texture to show through.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file