Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Weekend Poll: Do they overgrade gold coins at NGC?

RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
This issue came up (in a fairly heated debate) in another thread. The question is this: relative to PCGS, are NGC gold coins (early, rare date, and generic (ie. Saints)), more likely, equally likely, or less likely to receive a higher grade at NGC? I have my own opinions, experience, and perspective, that I will add later in the thread.

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You stupid, elitist strip of bacon image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    As a poor person I was compelled to select option #5.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    One would really have to submit a lot of gold to know the answer to this, which means that one is either buying a lot of raw gold, or is resubmitting or cracking out slabbed gold hoping for upgrades.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that you'll find that NGC is looser than PCGS on some types of gold coins and tighter on others.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Andy! That answer really helped me out a lot.image
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am surprised that anyone would answer #1, but only 2 respondents thought PCGS was more likely to gradflate, compared to 10 for NGC and 13 for "about the same." My limited experience and observations suggest that NGC is more likely to bump the grade up (from PCGS), and similarly, NGC is less likely to cross to PCGS, so I voted #3.

In my limited experience, PCGS coins, on average, will sell for a bit more than NGC coins. This is best and most reliably illustrated in Saints and is a fairly consistent observation that I have had, again, on average. Obviously, it depends on the individual coin, and there are anecdotes for every possible scenario.

My favorite example in rare gold, however, comes from the Duke's Creek collection. This was a high grade, finest known, Dahlonega collection in which the coins were all PCGS holdered by the owner and well-known by Dahlonega experts. Upon the sale of this impressive collection earlier this year, the new owners resubmitted the coins to NGC. Of 59 coins submitted to NGC, 1 upgraded by three grades, 6 upgraded by two grades, 28 upgraded by one grade, 23 crossed at the same grade, and 1 was downgraded by one grade. While, the analysis would be more complete if the coins were retried at PCGS first and then sent to NGC, but my conclusion must be that NGC is, on average, more generous than PCGS for rare date gold.

Link to my previous thread and analysis of Duke's Creek collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file