Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My SS Republic prediction comes true!

RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
(sort of)

Lookie!--Finest known 1854-O $20

In my tongue-in-cheek (pre) FUN 2004 report, I predicted that they would find the super-rare 1854-O $20 aboard the SS Republic in the below statement:

Finally, I enjoyed the display of the 250 mint state 1854-O $20's from the SS Republic. Just think, last year one of those would have sold for $250,000, and now I am able to buy one for $1000. Is this a great hobby or what?

While I am off by about 249 coins, it is frightening to learn that there are coins of this level of rarity and condition that were aboard that ship.

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Could just be ngc propoganda.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could just be ngc propoganda.

Bozo.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    RYK,seems like you hit the nail on the head, where are these for sale for 1k?-------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure about NGC propaganda, but clearly it is Odyssey Exploration (OMR) propaganda! Unlike other press releases, this one did not juice the stock.

As for Bozo, to my knowledge he was not found on the SS Republic, but I can neither confirm nor deny that he works for NGC.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Sorry after reading how ngc was selected by the png to be their offical grading service because of their superior service and consistency I don't trust much of what they claim.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, maybe I am in the minority, but I think it is cool that "rare" coins are being found.
    Some of the rarities are due to the fact that many coins were lost/melted/destroyed/etc.

To find some of them that are still around and brought back "to life" is pretty cool.

Granted, I am speaking as a collector overall and not as an owner of a rarity that I paid oodles of money for that suddenly lessens in value due to a find like this, but, from that purist outlook, I do think it is cool.

If I had the money, I would get one as I think it is pretty neat...one of the few "pedigrees" that I would pay a small premium for.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I can't wait to see a list of the coins that were recovered. I am hoping that they will have some of them at one of the major coin shows so that they can be viewed. It will also be interesting to see what kinds of prices these will bring and how readily acceptable they will become in the collecting market.

PS, Andy you could use that Bozo photo a lot on here. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file