Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

MS66 FB Merc made at PCGS and the difference betwween a 1 Grand and 100 Grand Coin.

FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
This has been on the Registry Board for a few days. The first 1919S PCGS graded MS66FB Merc was certified. The coin was in a NGC MS67FB slab. A darn pretty and very tough coin in any FB grade. Wish it was mine but it is not.

Take a look and see the difference between a $100,000 coin and a $1000 coin.

imageimage

and the 66 No Band coin.

Ken

Comments

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Thats a yummy dime.....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't even have a 1919-S! Both those are out of my league!

Ken, Great Coin. It seems only a tick away from full bands. Thats not much for a $99,000 difference!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Gee, this is a tough one. Would I rather have a coin that looks great but misses a couple of initials on the label and an extra $99,000 in my pocket? Or one that doesn't look all that much better and drop a hundred grand?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    Wow, that MS66 almost has full bands. Looks like they stick a little on the right side. Still, it is a nice strike. For the money, I'd rather have the 95% FB coin than the FB. That is an easy choice.

Fairlaneman, have you seen the coin in person? What would you grade it? Is it a MS66 or a 67? I see this is/was the only 1919-S FB 67 graded by NGC. Was it an overgrade?
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options
    Now Ken you know the 19s in 66nb
    goes for around $1500 or so, but you would still
    have a lot of money left over,
    Timimage
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to belittle the 1919s FB coin, but from what I saw on the enlarged scan on the registry forum, I'd like a little better "split" in the band for my $99,000. Frankly, many of the tougher mercs don't have fully rounded and split bands. Most are 95% at best imo. But then again, 95% seems to make the FB designation.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    ttt

there but for the grace of God go i

michael
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    Not to belittle the 1919s FB coin, but from what I saw on the enlarged scan on the registry forum, I'd like a little better "split" in the band for my $99,000. Frankly, many of the tougher mercs don't have fully rounded and split bands. Most are 95% at best imo. But then again, 95% seems to make the FB designation.

roadrunner

as per the above in many there are one and you sum things up very well roadrunner

buy what you like with money you can afford to lose and likes whats you buys!!

michael
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Merc no I have not seen the 66FB coin. TAP44 who posted right behind may have saw the dime though. Maybe someday a chance to see the coin will be had and just like you I would be interested to see what grade I would assign. Of course it would only be just a opinion.

Tim do you mean I got a deal on a "Key Date" coin......image

The comments about FB's on some of the Keyer Dates looks to be very true to me as much as I hate to say. I have one that sometimes astounds me because of its rather weak split. Strong on the outside edges but weak in the very center.

Lasy but not least....where are the Large Pictures of the 66FB coin ? I have looked and cannot find them.

Ken

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file