Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Franklin Half Instructional Series #8: 1951P Half Dollar

Franklin Half Instructional Series #8: 1951P Half Dollar.

This is the eighth installment of my instructional series on Franklin Halves. As I have time, I will add an excerpt on one of the coins of the series, and hopefully those of you who are interested in Franklins will add your own observations and pictures. By the end of the series we should wind up with a pretty comprehensive study of the Franklin series, along with some nice pictures as well. And who knows, maybe some other folks will do the same for other series!

Sources for this series generally include “An Analysis of Gem Franklins” by Jack Ehrmantraut and “The Complete Guide for Franklin Halves” by Rick Tomaska – two books which I feel every serious Franklin collector should read

1951P

This issue represents one of the first large Franklin mintages in the series with over 16 million examples being made. One of the results of this fact was that the dies tended to be used longer than recommended and as such, strike and luster characteristics for this date vary from very good to bland. This is the first year where a definite softening of the features on the Franklin half starts being evident. The master die started wearing out after the completion of 1950 mintage thus; the sharpness of the dies for 1951 was starting to deteriorate. A 1951 issued coin did not generally have the same richness as their 1950 counterparts. Luster for these coins tends to range from good to dull, and a larger number of coins than previous issues come without Full Bell Lines. Toning tends to be lackluster as well in 1951. Most toned examples are gold and grey toned with not spectacularly toned examples coming from mint sets as in future years. An additional side note, this is the first year where the dies clashed, thus creating the first “Bugs Bunny” variety for the series. Later examples, in 1954 and 1955 would be encountered, but it wasn’t until B. Max Mehl began promoting the 1955 issue that the coin became a popular variety (though not worth much of a premium). For more information on the Bugs Bunny variety you can click HERE for additional information on these coins.

Current population numbers from PCGS read as follows:

MS63 and lower 192 in non FBL and 43 in FBL
MS64 - 559 in non FBL and 479 in FBL
MS65 - 385 in non FBL and 370 in FBL
MS66 - 31 in non FBL and 66 in FBL
MS67 – 1 in FBL

The population numbers confirm the virtual split in availability between FBL and non FBL coins, as well as the fact that this issue is in the mid-range as far as rarity in higher grades for the series. MS64FBL coins are becoming more illusive, and though still rather inexpensive (around the $50-60 range generally), they are a very good buy, especially in brilliant white or nicely toned. MS65FBL examples are that much more illusive. Well struck specimens, when found, can go for $150-$200 and are well worth the money in my opinion. Generally the lesser toned examples should be avoided, wait for a nice lustrous example, or one with pleasing eye appeal. In MS66FBL these coins become much more illusive, particularly with acceptable toning. These will generally go for well over $1,000. There has only been one coin graded MS67FBL, and it is a beauty. I’m not sure what the sale price for it was, but as with most pop 1 coins in this series, I have no doubt that it went for significantly well over 5 figures. For more information on this date you can look the coin up in the Coinfacts page, which also sites significant sales appearances over the past few years. This information can be found HERE. I will continue to post the COINFACTS site for reference, but I am in no way promoting their products or services.

The 1951P half in my opinion is an underrated coin in the series, and if you can find a pleasing example of the coin in MS64FBL or above, it represents a very worthwhile acquisition. Have fun collecting Frankies!

MS64FBL Franklin Courtesy of CoinAddict (Thanks Kyle! image )

MS65FBL Bugs Bunny (ANACS Graded)

MS66FBL Franklin From The Birmingham Collection

The Only 1951P MS67FBL Franklin Graded to date (Sold for $27,000 - thanks for the info Kyle!)

Comments

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Once again another great thread with great information. Thanks Frank.image
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    The MS64FBL Franklin courtesy of CoinAddict is a real looker.

Thanks Frank, I'm becoming a fan.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    I love it, thanks! I have saved all of your series!image
  • Options
    marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭
    thanks-I love reading these.I am still searching for a 1951 with attractive toning.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    frank

a great education keep it up

michael
  • Options
    Thanks a million for these threads, Frank! I started a set of Frankies about a month ago (slowly), and the info you are providing here is superb. Also, a thanks to everyone else that has posted some good info on this and the first 7 threads! image
    SNIKT!
    You are doing well, subject 15837. You are a good person.
  • Options

<< <i>I started a set of Frankies about a month ago >>

Yesssssssssssssssssssss! WE HAVE A CONVERT! image
  • Options

In Memory of Frank...

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another supplement to the Pugs series on Franklins focusing on high end toner Franklins.

OK, I am officially declaring the 1951-P as the Rodney Dangerfield of nicely toned Franklins. The 1951-P date doesn't get much attention to begin with. It's not one of the rarer dates, and toning aside, you can find one with a decent strike and moreso you can tend to find them with less hits if you look hard enough. Therefore, higher grades in 65 and 66 are not as difficult to find. Furthermore, there are a decent amount out there that have acceptable toning on them. Typically, the colors are on the beginning side of thin film interference, exhibiting light golds, sometimes amber, ending up with the cobalt blues. Usually though, the 1951 will either exhibit some degree of off luster, or some degree of greyish toning to go along with the colors. So, there are some out there with o.k. lighter color, expecially if you don't mind a bit of a dusky or grey look to it.

Finding a 1951-P with truly great color and luster to go along, however, is a horse of a different color. To borrow from Rodney, 49cents and a bowl of soup won't get you a top end 1951 toner. Such a coin is far harder to find that most realize.

Here's a coin that shows some typical characteristics of a nicely toned 1951-P. It has some yellows and golds and blues, but with just a trace of the greyish tone you many times see. Overall a better than average toner for a 1951:
    imageimage

My Dalmation Frankie! This is just an unusual toning pattern. Some may like it, some not, I think it is cool. The colors are advanced for a 1951:
    imageimage

Deep amber toning on this coin, you could see this toning pattern exist on a 1949. The reverse gets into the 2nd cylce of toning, a bit unusual for a 1951. Finding a 1951 looking like this is a challenge:
    imageimage

A 1951 that is completely 2nd and 3rd cylce toning on the obverse. The toning is very deep and I have seen this on only a handful of 1951-P Franklins. Booming luster. This coin is 'only a 1951-P', but one of my favorites in my collection:
    imageimage
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    Daryl,

<< <i>Finding a 1951-P with truly great color and luster to go along, however, is a horse of a different color. To borrow from Rodney, 49cents and a bowl of soup won't get you a top end 1951 toner. Such a coin is far harder to find that most realize. >>

You hit the nail on the head I love the series but get disappointed seeing so many expensive prices on so so toned coins...to add to the information...too many toned coins not so hot in great color...a "NICELY" toned Franklin is truly rare....sad to see the Franklins are dropping in prices on the price guides as well....
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Great thread.

Where is the OP? Have not seen a post from this person in years.
  • Options
    frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750

<< <i>Great thread.

Where is the OP? Have not seen a post from this person in years. >>

See CoinAddict's signature.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file