Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Three Brown Ikes that I picked up today.

I had my eye on these a few weeks ago and now caved in to get some. 2 of the 73 - S and 1 71 - S. So good, bad, ugly, any criticisims welcome.image
imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    Dont look brown to me. image
  • Options
    I would say that you are going to need the 74-S to fill one hole in the series.

J.C.
    *******************************************************************************

imageimageSee ya on the other side, Dudes. image
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    Very nice and well done ! (Edited to clarify, I don't mean AT)

Brian
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345

<< <i>Very nice and well done ! (Edited to clarify, I don't mean AT)

Brian >>

Riiiiight.image
  • Options
    Wanna be like Ike...

Nice coins!
  • Options
    ccrccr Posts: 2,446
    Yeah they had a 72 and can kick myself now for not getting it.image I like the ones I got but, for continuity, I should of picked up the 72. They didn`t have a 74 though. I like the 74 you have.image
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This 1972-S Proof Ike has some nice target toning. Pcgs graded it PR68DC.
    Paul

edited for wrong picture.image
  • Options
    I do have 1 72-S brown box, but it's really ugly, even for an IKE. The only nicely toned 72-S I have is in a PCGS slab. The black lines on the obverse are shadows from scuffs on the plastic. Your 71-S and 73-S's are much nicer than my brown boxers for those dates. Both my 73-S's have bad cases of "Worm tracks."

J.C.

• Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    Three brown Ikes, Three Brown Ikes

See how they tone, see how they tone...image
  • Options
    Twodogs.. That PCGS Ike of yours is glowing blue !! It looks like there is a light on inside that coin.image

Paul
  • Options
    fivecents,

It's more like an electric blue haze than toning. It gets more intense when you hold it at different angles. If you hold it at a real slant and look at it, it's like there's no color at all.
    J.C.

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen so many of those with the haze, although it is usually uneven. JC, your 74 actually looks really nice.

For those dippers out there, does dip work on these? I've often wondered.
    Doug
  • Options
    The first ike has the same glowing blue toning.The 2nd Ike is target toned.

Paul
  • Options
    fivecents,

Looks like your 72-S and 74-S are twins to mine.

DMWJR,

I had 2 of the 74-S's, but JR bought the nicest.

J.C.

• Options
    Twodogs.. yep, I agree, can't wait to get it certifiedimage.

DMWjr... The glowing blue toning will dip right off, but the deep white rim toning won't completely dip off sometimes.
  • Options
    Twodogs....You tha man.. That Ike RULES!!
  • Options
    They look great Jim - welcome to the bald guy appreciation society! image
  • Options
    I hate to be the dissenting opinion....but

I really think the only nice one is TWODOGS 2nd 74-S. The others I wouldn't call toned, they hazed. I've searched hundreds of brown ikes and haven't found any nicely toned 71,72 or 73s. For some reason, only the 74s tone up. If you get them before the gold starts to form around the rim, they can be quite colorful. I have 3 or 4 slabbed by ANACS that I found. R&I were selling 74 PCGS PR69DCAMs for $400 and PF68*CAMs for $175, but I don't know if they had any takers.

I think the now NGC is certifying these in the original holders, they should have a GSA Brown Ike short set on their registry. I really think it would be impossible to find all 4 in PF69UCAM condition. I found a 71 that is nearly haze free and should go PF68UCAM. Sounds silly, but I could see Ike purists trying to assemble a nearly perfect set in the GSA holders. I know I'm trying.

Michael

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file