Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

picture of san francisco mint sign /IDENTIFICATION HELP NEEDED

heres the San Francisco Mint plaque I am currently getting or gathering info on

anyone???

came from a lot a few years back of a gentleman that either worked the mint or knew someone who did. was salvaged from the mint after the 1906 earthquake.

1906 san fran mint? and others

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    No info, but nice find!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    Thanks.
    My partner in business dug it out last week. I remember buying it but as to why I stored it is beyond me. I had begun collecting artifacts to build a coin bar, get a beer miester image and have fun. I shelved the project for time being, and changed the design so now it doesnt fit. Might keep or sell...who knows, but its a killer find indeed.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    It'd be interesting to research and see if anything of note happened that year at the mint - maybe you might even find some tie in with the 1894S dimes! ???
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    That's cool!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    it is weird that they pick that date...but I believe it opened in 1874 so it maybe for 20th aniversery?

Im still bouncing straws...but im sure with all smart minds here, someone will
    point me in the right direction.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    dimensions
    14 inches long...and at the midpoint, 4 1/2 inches high...was probably a side door marker?

coin crate marker?.....seller said it was salvaged 1906...

wheres sherlock holmes when i need him?

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    you could try emailing them at the mint

slavaged? or looted?

I would guess maybe a marker on an addition built in 1894? - maybe it was on the corner of the building designating the location of the time capsule they put in the building but can not locate now? who knows what treasures they would have stored away 100 years ago!
  • Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    "you might even find some tie in with the 1894S dimes!" Yeah he'll find out it's hollow and has a roll of 1894S dimes inside of it.image
  • Options
    lol...well when i shake it...sounds like it has dimes in it.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    sorry tested photo image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, looks like a mint mark and a date. What more do you need?

It is very curious. Perhaps it was to mark a remodeling or the like.

It's surprising it would be claimed to be salvaged after the earthquake, since the mint
    suffered relatively little damage.

About how heavy is it?
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    If you can find out what exactly it was for, perhaps you might consider loaning or donating to the future San Francisco Historical Society's Coinage Museum at the San Francisco Mint.

Perhaps you can find some clues in the Records of the U.S. Mint.

In 1894, Golden Gate Park was the site of the Mid-Winter International Exposition. Maybe this plaque has something to do with that.
    Matt
  • Options
    ttt for weekend help

in answer clad, its real heavey..solid brass

The salvage comment was an idea on someones part, not really sure how the oldman aquired it, as I cant find proof anywhere.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    Ive exhausted every area i know to find information on the San mint...its weird but most web pages all link to the go site...no privately put together pages with original pics nothing...im very depressed and amazed that the building wasnt more or better documented.

it saddens me.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    last time i will subject anyone to this image

till next time

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options

Im not sure but I thought that Kagin Coin up in Tiburon, CA was part of the committee to help save the old Mint. May be a place to start?

www.kagins.com

Larryimage
  • Options
    yes Larry my thoughts also...I would like to see if he has some info or books that show oldtime mint...maybe ANA library also...but I did start with Donald...No return email..But i feel all are busy with ANA at the moment...hopefully I will hear soon. I had planned getting as much info on it and maybe placing it with the ANA collection, but im getting crazy offers, even though I havent said I was even considering selling (although a certain auction house suggested) but anyhow, there is one board meber who watchs out for me, maybe his soon. Either way I really want a book on the mint...has to be one out there...theres one called "The Mighty Fortress"< unconfirmed rumours etc...Richard kelly n Nancy j Oliver...anyone have this book??????

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! That's really neat!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I don't have the book, but it was discussed in the E-sylum newsletter of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society in 2001 when it was released.

"The book is 144 pages in length and is available in spiral bound. The price total is $20.00, which includes shipping (Calif. residents please add 8% sales tax). Please send check or money order to O.K. Associates, 26746 Contessa St, Hayward, Ca. 94545-3150."

Since the book is only a couple years old, they might still have copies available.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    Just thought i'd post that the ANA just picked up a copy of the book for their library.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file